Printing on fabric

Old November 27th 05, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Printing on fabric

Hi I lurk once in awhile to see what you quilters are up to, and I need some
help. I have bought some fabric sheets to print on and I was wondering how
they hold up to washing? It's for my sister for Christmas and it's soooo
damn cute I'd hate to have all the ink wash off. I'm going to set it the way
it is explained on the package then quilt it.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Jules

Old November 27th 05, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

What brand did you buy? I only use Printed Treasures, and I have never had
any problems with ink washing off, but usually the projects that I use them
for don't get washed very often. You will probably be alright if you follow
the directions on the package.

Sherry Starr

news

Old November 27th 05, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You may want to simply conduct your own test - with your printer, your
fabric, iron, brand of sheets and whatever. That way you'll know if your
system is a good one or not. I haven't tested mine - just hoped it washed
okay. I wish I'd tested - for no particular reason, nobody has mentioned
that mine washed away but it would be nice to be sure before I had sent it
off. Polly

. ..

Old November 27th 05, 11:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I, too, used printed treasures. I took one of the prints that did not make
the cut for the project and just threw it in the washer and drier whenever I
did another load. I did not pay attention to what this sample was washed
with----jean or sheets or whatever. The sample came out fine. It might
have faded a little after repeated washings (say 10 or 12) but not so much
that you would notice. The fabric in the quilt will fade some over time
also so it all worked out fine for me.

judy in fort worth

Old November 27th 05, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Sherry Starr" wrote:

What brand did you buy? I only use Printed Treasures, and I have never had
any problems with ink washing off, but usually the projects that I use them
for don't get washed very often. You will probably be alright if you follow
the directions on the package.

Sherry Starr

I also use Printed Treasures and usually have very good results with the
ink remaining where it belongs. I'm currently making a photo quilt as a
memento of my late QI, Tuppence, and this is the first time I've noticed
any ink running off the photos when I rinsed them. I guess it has to do
with the colors I needed, but the fading wasn't so bad that the quilt
will be ruined. I don't plan to wash this one often -- unlike the ones
I've done before. I frequently use photos on labels for quilts that need
to be washed relatively regularly, and those do very well.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education