Etiquette wrt naming/giving a quilt

Old October 26th 03, 08:40 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default Etiquette wrt naming/giving a quilt

I want to make a quilt for a friend of mine. It is going to be a
wilderness scene, since that is his passion (apart from his wife and
kids of course). I was going to call it Wilderness Kid.

Now the other day in the LQS I saw (and bought) the perfect Party
fabric, which I just knew right there I had to get to use for a pieced
backing for this quilt. My friend is a natural born party starter too.

So now I want to call it Wilderness Kid and Party Animal. Is this
unsuitable for a name for a quilt for a Dad with a young family? The
party fabric is with party hats, drinks glasses etc. Nothing indecent
or anything!

Anyways, this quilt seems to be turning more and more into a quilt for
my friend, rather than for him and his wife or the whole family. I
normally name the recipient(s) on the quilt label, but now I'm not
sure about this one. Put their names (husband and wife), his name
only, leave the name of all together???

Or change the title to make it less obviously for him?

I mean I'm sure they'd both enjoy the quilt and get a laugh out of the
reverse side of it too. But she would still no that I was hinting
towards his personality all the way. I do know both of them (and the
kids), but I volunteer with him, so naturally spend a lot more time
with him.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Hanne
Old October 26th 03, 09:49 PM
Butterfly

It's for HIM--make it for him. I like the Title--some quilts DO name
themselves and you have one that has.
Bet all of them will get to use it.
Don't be surprised if you do get a few hints of "where's MINE"...from
the rest of em, tho : )

HTH
Butterfly (sounds like a HAPPY quilt: )

Old October 26th 03, 11:24 PM
Sharon Harper

Maybe call it "Party in the Wilderness"?

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
om...

Old October 27th 03, 12:12 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Maybe tone it down a bit by calling it Party Guy or Party Dude? As for
who it is for... maybe you could refer to the time you two share
volunteering together? Something like "Thanks for all the good times at
the Salvation Army" or "in appreciation for sharing the workload with me
at the Salvation Army"??? Well, something along those lines, any way.
HTH

Leslie- who is developing a passion for creating those woodland scenes
in quilts!

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old October 27th 03, 11:13 PM
Shelly

What about naming the quilt "Wilderness Friends"? That would be for all of
the family but imply that you and he are the friends.
Shelly
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:

[...]

Make him his quilt. Make another one for her. Make quilts for each of
the kids! There you go! Ideal solution!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

---

Old October 28th 03, 02:35 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hanne: How about using the plural forms? Wilderness Kids would
work for any Dad, but especially if any of the family are in
Scouting. Party Animals is fun and funny for any age. Kids like
to be party animals too! BTW: there is no 'rule' ... your quilt
your rules!!
Can't wait to see this one!
PAT .... just up the road and hang a left! in VA/USA

Old October 29th 03, 03:40 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Pat in Virginia wrote in message ...
Hanne: How about using the plural forms? Wilderness Kids would
work for any Dad, but especially if any of the family are in
Scouting. Party Animals is fun and funny for any age. Kids like
to be party animals too! BTW: there is no 'rule' ... your quilt
your rules!!
Can't wait to see this one!
PAT .... just up the road and hang a left! in VA/USA

Thanks to all who replied! I think I'll follow Butterfly and go with
the title - I'll also add on the label something along the lines of
"Great Cubmaster, FATS trainer and friend" or something.

All of them are in Scouting (either girl or boy, and the girl once
wanted badly to come the Cub Scout Family Camp instead of going on the
Mother/Daughter camp with her own troop).

It is going to be a squeeze to finish it before Christmas - when I'm
moving (post to folllow!), so Pat, you might only get to see a
picture.

Now, where would you buy landscape/sky/water fabrics? (on-line or
Hampton Roads area). And who has a good block (4-6 inches) for a bear?

Hanne