came cutting

Old April 24th 05, 04:00 PM
C Ryman

Default came cutting

Hi everyone,
I have some lead came with the brass strip in the heart that I need to cut.
I don't think a regular lead knife will do the job. Does anyone have
experience with this?

Thanks,
Connie

Old April 25th 05, 12:33 PM
db

I've used a exacto hand razor saw. I would mark the cut on the came with a
pencil then take the came over to the other side of the bench and cut it on
a board pusching the came against some pegs sticking-up. It worked pretty
good. Makes a real nice cut, but its takes longer than working with regular
lead of course. You need the finest tooth razor blade, or it will snag on
the brass.

Old April 25th 05, 05:40 PM

I just use a pair of lead dykes. you gotta squeeze a bit harder but the
brass isn't that tough.

Andy
http://www.neoglassic.com

Old April 25th 05, 08:01 PM
Javahut

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just use a pair of lead dykes. you gotta squeeze a bit harder but the
brass isn't that tough.

What do you do for long tapered miters?

The knippers work good for fairly straight miters, but what about those long
tapers?

Old April 26th 05, 12:36 AM

Shave off one side, nip the brass and shave off the other side.
Generally you want to use the reinforced lead in your longer straighter
areas anyway.

Andy

cutting strips Dawn Alguard Sewing 3 February 1st 05 08:13 PM
Boot Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 cobblering Sally Marketplace 0 October 18th 04 10:44 PM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
Pressing and Cutting Paradigm Shift needed frood Quilting 37 July 31st 03 10:20 AM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM