purpose of bail on gold jewelry

Old July 19th 03, 05:21 AM
E. Sandstrom

Default purpose of bail on gold jewelry

Sorry if this sounds a bit like a stupid question, but what is the purpose
of the bail (sp?) attached to the clasp on gold bracelets and necklaces? And
do all gold bracelets/necklaces have them? What about silver
bracelets/necklaces, I have never seen one with a bail, but do some have?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old July 22nd 03, 05:09 AM
NE333RO

Sorry if this sounds a bit like a stupid question, but what is the purpose
of the bail (sp?) attached to the clasp on gold bracelets and necklaces?

You know, this almost sounds like a habit my old boss had of dropping the
ID tag and hooking the spring ring directly to the jump ring. I always thought
it was his own little quirk but maybe it is more widespread than I realized.
Old July 23rd 03, 08:58 AM
Marggi

Could this poster be refering to the karat tag that attatches between the
clasp and the chain? That seems to make more sense than a "bail" from his
description.
Marggi

"Dave Arens" wrote in message
Hi,

Sorry if this sounds a bit like a stupid question, but what is the

purpose
of the bail (sp?) attached to the clasp on gold bracelets and necklaces?

And
do all gold bracelets/necklaces have them? What about ilver

bacelets/necklaces,
have never seen one with a bail, but do some have?

I think you may have your terms mixed up.

To me it sounds like you're describing a 'safety chain'. A 'bail' is

normally
used to
attach a item to a chain. A clasp is used to connect the 2 ends of a chain

(or
similar) item used as a necklace or bracelet. The safety chain is usually

short,
light weight (relative to the item it's on) chain with a clasp that serves

as a
2nd
clasp for the necklace or bracelet.

Their purpose is to serve as a deterrent to the item falling off should

the main
clasp fail.

The use of a safety chain is at the makers discretion. However, they are

usually
used
on more expensive pieces or ones that may have a questionable clasp.

Dave

Old July 29th 03, 07:17 AM
E. Sandstrom

"Marggi" wrote in message
Could this poster be refering to the karat tag that attatches between the
clasp and the chain? That seems to make more sense than a "bail" from his
description.
Marggi

Yep, me thinks he would!
Hi,

Old July 30th 03, 07:15 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:17:56 GMT, "E. Sandstrom"
wrote:

"Marggi" wrote in message
.. .
Could this poster be refering to the karat tag that attatches between the
clasp and the chain? That seems to make more sense than a "bail" from his
description.
Marggi

Yep, me thinks he would!

The purpose is simply to show what the metals in the piece are made
of.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale
Old August 10th 03, 05:13 AM
E. Sandstrom

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:17:56 GMT, "E. Sandstrom"
wrote:

"Marggi" wrote in message
.. .
Could this poster be refering to the karat tag that attatches between

the
clasp and the chain? That seems to make more sense than a "bail" from

his
description.
Marggi

Yep, me thinks he would!

The purpose is simply to show what the metals in the piece are made
of.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale
http://www.basicbali.com

Yes, but is it absolutely necessary for a piece to have one, that is my main
question?

Old August 10th 03, 05:42 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 04:13:03 GMT, "E. Sandstrom"
wrote:

"Marilee J. Layman" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:17:56 GMT, "E. Sandstrom"
wrote:

"Marggi" wrote in message
.. .
Could this poster be refering to the karat tag that attatches between

the
clasp and the chain? That seems to make more sense than a "bail" from

his
description.
Marggi

Yep, me thinks he would!

The purpose is simply to show what the metals in the piece are made
of.

Yes, but is it absolutely necessary for a piece to have one, that is my main
question?

No, not legally. Any sterling pieces in the work should be marked
anyway.