Care and Feeding of Quilts

Old September 14th 04, 12:30 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Care and Feeding of Quilts

I had an interesting conversation yesterday.

My uncle is in town visiting. He loves quilts although he does not make
them. Last time he was here I gave him a quilt which he has hanging in
his stairway out of the sunlight.

He said to me. "Your Aunt Kathy gave me a quilt she had made for
Christmas. I'm afraid to take it out of the box even to show it to
people." It seems that she wrapped up the quilt with a container of
quilt wash and acid free tissue and one of those special quilt storage
bags and directions for washing and storing the quilt. It scared him
off using the quilt. I tried to allay his fears, but I don't think I
was successful.

So....when you give a quilt as a gift do you expect it to be used or
stored for future generations? Did you ever think that enclosing care
instructions might have the opposite effect and make the recipient
nervous about using the quilt at all? I sure didn't! I always hope the
quilts get used and even worn out...I'd hate to think they were sitting
in a box somewhere because the owner was afraid to ruin it.

yikes.

marcella
Old September 14th 04, 12:53 AM
Louise

When I give a quilt as a gift, I hope it will be used in some manner -- but
that manner is up to the recipient. I have given some baby quilts that are
now in shreds and probably no longer even exist (and the three I think of
were pieced and quilted by hand). Others are hanging on display in the
child's room. I've given bed-size quilts that were used and washed so often
that they've faded to just a memory of their original color. Others are
still being displayed on the beds and look nearly new. I am happy to say
that those that have faded and are no longer in daily use are still being
used as "cuddle" quilts for cold winter nights! Regardless of how they've
been used, I know they were given and accepted in love, and that's really
all that matters to me.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old September 14th 04, 01:56 AM
frood

So far, all the quilts I've given away (except for a HUG quilt) have been
baby quilts.I made sure to include washing instructions on the label, which
said machine wash, tumble dry. I told the recipient to use it, let the baby
use it, spit up on it, etc. Wash it, dry it. I'll make another if needed. My
brother asked me to hang a sleeve on the back of his son's quilt so he could
hang it. Actually, I offered to sew a sleeve on after I found out he wanted
to nail it to the wall! He doesn't want to use it as a quilt, but it's not
mine anymore, so it's ok.

When and if I ever give away a different type of quilt, I will include
appropriate cleaning instructions, and hope for the best. :-)

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old September 14th 04, 02:23 AM
Polly Esther

You can't win this one but must fight the battle anyway. I use little words
and speak slowly when I tell the recipient that the quilt is to be used to
pieces. I offer to provide a poster-size photo of myself if they need
something to hang on the wall. I offer folded old blankets if they have a
vacant closet shelf that needs something to take up space. I will be very
displeased (and I am not one to mess with) if one of my quilts were to be
displayed or saved. (Which is not to say that I demand using it in the
master bedroom of the summer palace - just as a piece of bed linen to
snuggle under somewhere will do fine.)
Sound like a plan? Sound perfectly clear. Nope.
I made a quilt for the new neighbor. "His Mother" told him he should
Always put a sheet under it and a sheet on top of it to keep it from getting
soiled.
Oh good grief. Polly

Old September 14th 04, 02:26 AM
Sharon Harper

Oh it's gotta be used. Treat it nice, wash it when it needs it but for
heaven's sake what use is a quilt (unless it's a WUH) if you can't snuggle
with it?

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old September 14th 04, 03:13 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

[...]

The only time I've given washing instructions was when I was asked. I
know that means that some quilts may wear out sooner than planned, but
so be it. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather the quilt be used than
"treasured" in a box. When asked, though, I did recommend washing in
cool water and running through the dryer, both of which I'd done
previous to the gifting. My quilts aren't made of delicate fabrics,
though.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old September 14th 04, 03:43 AM
Pat in Virginia

Wendy:
When you send me my NY Beauty quilt, you can omit the care
instructions. I already know how to care for a quilt!!
Good to see you back.
PAT in VA/USA

frood wrote:
So far, all the quilts I've given away (except for a HUG quilt) have been
baby quilts.I made sure to include washing instructions on the label, which
said machine wash, tumble dry. I told the recipient to use it, ...cut...

Old September 14th 04, 05:12 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Baby quilts? You give away baby quilts?
Hey, Wendy! Look over here!!! "Everybody's somebody's baby!"
I always tell the new quilt owner: "It's wash and wear!
If you want to wash it, throw it in the machine, cold water,
easy on the soap, tumble dry. If you forget, call me, my name's on
the back." So far, so good.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old September 14th 04, 07:09 AM
Irrational Number

Polly Esther wrote:

You can't win this one but must fight the battle anyway. [...]
I made a quilt for the new neighbor. "His Mother" told him he should
Always put a sheet under it and a sheet on top of it to keep it from getting
soiled.
Oh good grief. Polly

Hear ye hear ye!

-- Anita --

Old September 14th 04, 08:47 AM
Kate Dicey

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

[...]

I always tell people USE it! It's not a 3000 year old Ming vase or a
500 year old doublet! It's new, it was made for you to use. Go ahead.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk