Anyone up for a little Singer troubleshooting help?

Old April 23rd 05, 07:55 AM
David Nebenzahl

Default Anyone up for a little Singer troubleshooting help?

My (previously) trusty Singer no longer sews, and I can't figure out why.

It's a "No. 15", at least according to Singer's serial # scheme from their
website. (Except that the manual I downloaded shows a treadle machine while
mine has that newfangled e-lectric motor; the kind with gears instead of a
belt. Everything else seems to match up to mine.)

Everything looks OK, but when I try to sew, the bobbin thread doesn't get
stitched in. I can draw the bobbin thread up from below with the needle, so I
*think* the bobbin's threaded correctly, but no go.

Also, I'm not sure of the correct threading: the manual says to thread the
needle from left to right, but this seems wrong, as the last hook above the
needle is above the right side, and this would make the thread wrap around the
needle.

Help! Anyone have any simple troubleshooting advice? (Yeah, I know: get rid of
the damn thing and enter the 20th century. But I like this old beast, and like
I say, it used to work and hasn't been dropped or otherwise maltreated.)

--
It's a good guess that one of two things is going to happen in the
coming days and weeks: Either Bolton goes down—-or we start learning

- _Slate_, 4/19/05 (http://slate.msn.com/id/2117028/)

Old April 23rd 05, 08:18 AM
Trish Brown

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this helps, but the last time my Singer (1970s vintage)
did this, it was because there was crud built up between the tension
discs. Get a bit of thread and 'floss' between the discs, rethread and
see if that helps. Also, a blunt needle can sometimes affect the way the
bobbin thread draws (or doesn't draw) up. Try a new needle. My last idea
is that the bobbin tension might have come undone somehow. Check the
screw that holds the bobbin assembly together and ensure it's done up
snug (but not too tightly).

Best of luck - it's awful when these things happen! :-(

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old April 23rd 05, 09:19 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , David Nebenzahl of Posted
via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com uttered
[...]

OK ... it may or may not be a model 15 - Singer are notoriously
inaccurate on these matters (don't panic, it's not you, it's them!)

Does the bobbin go into a spool case which you then insert? Or does it
go straight into the machine? If the former, then yes, it'll be a 15.
Again, don't panic about the means of propulsion - they made this model
for a *long* time.

Old Singers all thread from left to right, honest. But you do need to
get the needle in the right way round. From folk memory (without
dragging a machine out to actually look) the scarf (long groove) on the
needle goes to the left, therefore the flat side to the right.

Try that, then get back to us and I'll see if I can dig out a manual
(although there should be uggins of them on the web if you Google around
a bit)
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old April 23rd 05, 10:41 AM
Sally Holmes

David Nebenzahl wrote:
My (previously) trusty Singer no longer sews, and I can't figure out
why.
It's a "No. 15", at least according to Singer's serial # scheme from
their website.

There were several No 15s produced between the 1890s and the 1950s. Which
one do you have? You can see some at http://www.needlebar.com/15chart/ .

Everything looks OK, but when I try to sew, the bobbin thread doesn't
get stitched in. I can draw the bobbin thread up from below with the
needle, so I *think* the bobbin's threaded correctly, but no go.

Things to try:
- clean the fluff out the bobbin case and oil it where the manual tells you
to (won't necessarily fix your problem, but it's a good thing to do)
- give it a new needle, the right weight and point for your fabric
- check that the needle's the right way round
- make sure you're using a Singer needle: they're a slightly different
length to some domestic machine needles

It sounds like something's just a tiny bit out, so that when the fabric adds
a little extra to the mechanism the needle thread isn't in the right place
to be picked up by the hook. You can see how the stitching machanism works
at http://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports..._machine.htm-1
(_such_ a cool site, despite the spelling mistake).

Check out the guide at http://www.ismacs.net/singer/needle.html .

Help! Anyone have any simple troubleshooting advice? (Yeah, I know:
get rid of the damn thing and enter the 20th century.

Not at all. They're lovely machines. They don't do much, but they do it very
well.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old April 23rd 05, 10:44 AM
Pogonip

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

No, no! Do not get rid of it!!! Copy the manual from
http://hubben.crosswinds.net/15-91text.html and check your threading.
That's almost certainly the problem. The 15 is a fine machine.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/
Old April 23rd 05, 01:35 PM
Kate Dicey

David Nebenzahl wrote:
My (previously) trusty Singer no longer sews, and I can't figure out why.

It's a "No. 15", at least according to Singer's serial # scheme from
their website. (Except that the manual I downloaded shows a treadle
machine while mine has that newfangled e-lectric motor; the kind with
gears instead of a belt. Everything else seems to match up to mine.)

It will be the same: All they did to make it hand crank or electric was
shove a handle or a motor on it!

Everything looks OK, but when I try to sew, the bobbin thread doesn't
get stitched in. I can draw the bobbin thread up from below with the
needle, so I *think* the bobbin's threaded correctly, but no go.

Have you made sure that the bobbin is in the right way up, so the thread
comes off in the right direction, and that the thread is fully in the
spring tension leaf on the side of the bobbin case?

Also, I'm not sure of the correct threading: the manual says to thread
the needle from left to right, but this seems wrong, as the last hook
above the needle is above the right side, and this would make the thread
wrap around the needle.

Make sure the needle is in the right way round (flat side towards the
bobbin), and thread it right to left. Check that you have the correct
manual. Mine has the correct instruction in it. If you would like a
copy of the threading diagram, let me know.

Help! Anyone have any simple troubleshooting advice? (Yeah, I know: get
rid of the damn thing and enter the 20th century. But I like this old
beast, and like I say, it used to work and hasn't been dropped or
otherwise maltreated.)

No need to get rid of it. I have a 1930's treadle version, a 1923 hand
crank 66, and a 1909 Jones Family CS, all in perfect working order.
They are sweet, beautiful, and fun to use. They will also still be
sewing when my electronic whizzy Lily 550 has been land fill for a
hundred years.
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 23rd 05, 01:36 PM
Kate Dicey

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Also ment to say: take a look on my web site at the 15-88. The pix show
ir quite clearly. There's also a 66 on the site, so make sure that
isn't the one you have the manual for.

Old April 23rd 05, 01:41 PM
Kate Dicey

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

Old Singers all thread from left to right, honest. But you do need to
get the needle in the right way round. From folk memory (without
dragging a machine out to actually look) the scarf (long groove) on the
needle goes to the left, therefore the flat side to the right.

Not quite right: the needle in the 15 is the other way about and threads
right side to left, honest! Take a look on my web site, and see.

If I put the needle in 66-ways-round, or thread it left to right, it
doesn't sew!
Old April 23rd 05, 02:10 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

Old Singers all thread from left to right, honest. But you do need to
get the needle in the right way round. From folk memory (without
dragging a machine out to actually look) the scarf (long groove) on
the needle goes to the left, therefore the flat side to the right.

Not quite right: the needle in the 15 is the other way about and
threads right side to left, honest! Take a look on my web site, and
see.

If I put the needle in 66-ways-round, or thread it left to right, it
doesn't sew!

I'll take your word for it - but it's blooming odd, coz I had a quick
look online in somebody's "Manuel", and it said what I said ... I'm
still not clambering in there and dragging a machine out here to test
the theory though LOL!
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old April 23rd 05, 02:30 PM
Kate Dicey

[...]

Ah, well, I just popped my machine up and looked at it! Nice not
having it under a pile of crap, for a change!