losing my sewing room

Old September 11th 04, 06:24 PM
Debra

On 10 Sep 2004 21:53:08 GMT, (Olwynmary) wrote:

There are plans for these in a woodworking catalog my DH sometimes receives.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...778349&offerin
gs_id=7

(If this link doesn't work, just go to www.rockler.com and navigate your way
through to Project Plans to Sewing Accessories.)

I have considered requesting that he make me one of these ready for the
eventual day that we decide to move into smaller quarters, but as I have no
plans to "downsize" in the near future I have left it on hold.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I went there. Found some other things DH might like. The sewing
cabinet plan seems to require their expensive lift. I'd rather find
plans for one that doesn't need that lift.
Debra in VA
Old September 11th 04, 07:36 PM
Olwynmary

I went there. Found some other things DH might like. The sewing cabinet plan
seems to require their expensive lift. I'd rather find plans for one that
doesn't need that lift.
Debra in VA

You don't have to include the lift - it is there as an option.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old September 12th 04, 05:39 AM
joy beeson

When we lived in a trailer, Mom used the fold-down dining
table for an ironing board. It spoiled the varnish, but
not on the side that showed when the table was closed.

When closed, it looked like a cabinet door with a carved
decoration. The decoration, hinged at the top, was the leg
of the table.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old September 12th 04, 03:54 PM
Taria

There seem to be little in the way of ready made sewing
tables that address folks who don't wan't to hide the machines
away. If you have a dedicated sewing area there is no need
to hide the machine.
Taria

Old September 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I'd find a small cabinet for sewing machine etc. as you suggested, and
commandeer a closet for your stash. I'd just add utility shelving in
there, the free standing kind, and organize the rest into boxes or some
such that are labeled so you can find what you need. For little thinks
like seam rippers and buttons, buy a fishing tackle box to keep near
your machine.

Maureen

Lisa wrote:
whaaaa!
I went from having a whole bedroom to the laundry room and now in a
few weeks we will move to a house with an even smaller laundry room.
(That's what happens when you have kids--they get the bedrooms!)
Anyway, my question is how to organize my stuff so that I can still
sew. I was thinking of finding some sort of wheeled cart that I could
put my machine and serger on along with the most often used notions,
iron and such. I'm not sure what to do about the ironing board. I
guess I'll have to haul that out every time. I need this portable
stuff to be easy to put away whether or not I'm done with the project
(small kids around!)
I hope this is only temporary. We'll only be in this house for a year
and then who knows what the Navy will do with us next!
Lisa R

Old September 12th 04, 05:40 PM
Debra

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:54:06 GMT, Taria wrote:

There seem to be little in the way of ready made sewing
tables that address folks who don't wan't to hide the machines
away. If you have a dedicated sewing area there is no need
to hide the machine.
Taria

Ideally I'd like to find something that has a little storage and has
the old fashioned, hinged, flip down machine storage like the older
Singer cabinets had, and that looks like a nice piece of furniture. I
think I found some nice looking ones that use the hinges, but they
have little or no storage for notions and such. Although I will have
a dedicated sewing area it will be in a room that guests see, so I do
want to be able to put things away and have everything look nice.
Besides the guests, I have kitties who no doubt will try to play with
the sewing machine. One of those kitties is a bit brain damaged and
bites things that stick out from other things, so I know she will try
to bite the thread spindle and the tension adjustment thingy if I
don't put the machine inside something.

I wish we still had the gigantic secretary desk DH had when we first
married. It was one that had a recessed area for one of the big old
fashioned typewriters to be raised and lowered into the desk. Loads
of storage in file drawers on each side of the desk area too. But it
was huge and heavy and we had no place for it in the apartment we had,
so it had to go. Ah well, no sense crying over spilled milk. Chances
are that my machine wouldn't have fit into the typewriter space
anyway. Besides, Mom has the perfect sewing desk, so I'll keep
looking for something similar, or make one like hers someday. I can
buy a pair of those hinges on ebay, or get them off a beat up old
cabinet bought for a song at a thrift shop. Until then I guess I'll
just make do with a table and keep the machines in their travel cases.
Debra in VA
Old October 5th 04, 04:12 PM
Ms Juniper

"Lisa" ...
I went from having a whole bedroom to the laundry room and now in a
few weeks we will move to a house with an even smaller laundry room.
(That's what happens when you have kids--they get the bedrooms!)

I hope this is only temporary. We'll only be in this house for a year
and then who knows what the Navy will do with us next!

Dumb question, but can't you just put the kids in bunkbeds? I mean, unless
they're a boy/girl combo, who says they *need* a separate bedroom? How old
are they? I know plenty of people who grew up sharing a bedroom with a
sibling or two.

Sewing Room Accessories Ward Sewing 9 September 1st 04 01:01 PM
Sewing Room HGTV Show Pat in Virginia Quilting 22 August 20th 04 06:54 PM
Sewing room curtains I made: Susie Quilting 43 February 15th 04 10:26 AM
Permanent Sewing Room! Lindroos Quilting 4 February 4th 04 04:26 PM
Items for your Sewing Room Debi Holley Marketplace 0 December 29th 03 11:23 PM