Knitting/Crocheting from unspun wool

Old October 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jenn

Default Knitting/Crocheting from unspun wool

Hi Ladies.

I am mostly a lurker in this realm, but I have been crocheting for 16+
years and knitting (Self taught) for almost a year now.

I picked up this month's (actually November's) Crochet! magazine and it
had a nice article on crocheting from unspun wool. So I go to the
local Farmer's Market for the first time over this weekend there is a
YARN BOOTH. All local hand dyed yarns, most spun already, but some
'Fluffs' as she called them. I made a beeline for a bright as the sun
yellow one.

So my question is does any one here knit or crochet from unspun wool
and just how hard is it? I do have a hand spindle that was a wedding
present from three years ago along with some undyed natural wool, but I
am not brave enough to use it without major instruction (which doesn't
appear to exist in my area). So if push came to shove I could spin it,
but I'm not excited about using this yarn for that test.

One other question - I HAVE a huge problem with dry hands (don't let me
touch silk or microfiber - it gets caught) mostly because I wash them
regularly due to working with yarn on a regular basis (and I cross
stitch) and I don't want to get anything on the fibers. Can you
recommend anything other than udder cream?

Thank you,
Jenn in CA

FYI for those interested the yarn is from a shop called Royale Hare in
Santa Rosa CA.

Old October 2nd 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jenn

My apologies for leaving out the Gents. Your input is equally welcome.

Jenn

Old October 2nd 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 2 Oct 2006 10:23:10 -0700, "Jenn" spewed forth
:

Hi Ladies.

I am mostly a lurker in this realm, but I have been crocheting for 16+
years and knitting (Self taught) for almost a year now.

I picked up this month's (actually November's) Crochet! magazine and it
had a nice article on crocheting from unspun wool.
So my question is does any one here knit or crochet from unspun wool
and just how hard is it?

I do, sometimes. Most of the "unspun knitting" patterns call for
pencil roving similar to White Buffalo stuff - it's been made ready
for spinning and drawn out into a fine strand but doesn't actually
have twist insert into it. Working with it is about as difficult as
working with White Buffalo or with unspun Icelandic. There have been
several articles about it in both SpinOff and Knits during the past
couple of years.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old October 2nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Eastern Edge

Wooly wrote:
[...]

The White Buffalo is my 'new find' and I've been enjoying it. I do
tend to twist it as I crochet as it's fairly easy to pull apart as you
apply tension. I've also used an improvised drop spindle with it to
add some twist.

I find the biggest issue is breakage; I'd recommend (not that I did,
though) a swatch or two, just so you can get used to how much tension
you can apply to the wool before it breaks...my first attempts had
plenty of splicing. Even just twisting it slightly as you work (does
it on its own if you're working crochet back and forth) makes a big
difference.

Michelle

Old October 3rd 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On 2 Oct 2006 10:23:10 -0700, "Jenn" wrote:

One other question - I HAVE a huge problem with dry hands (don't let me
touch silk or microfiber - it gets caught) mostly because I wash them
regularly due to working with yarn on a regular basis (and I cross
stitch) and I don't want to get anything on the fibers. Can you
recommend anything other than udder cream?

I sometimes have a problem with dry hands that get cracked and
inflamed. I have found the best solution is to put a good cream on
them at night (I like Nivea) and wear a pair of white cotton gloves to
keep them moist all night. I ordered white cotton gloves from the
Vermont Country Store catalog some years ago.

Now that I'm in Italy, it's not so easy to order from the VCS, so I
take a pair of old cotton socks and cut five slits on the toe area for
my fingers. It's almost as good as the gloves, and it's a lot easier
to read in bed.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old October 3rd 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jenn

Stella,

I use it at night under gloves at least once a week, but using it
during the day is not an option as

1) It doesn't absorb well so it gets on the mouse and keyboard (I am
on the computer all day for work)
2) It will get all over my fibers when I am working.

Jenn

Old October 3rd 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 2 Oct 2006 14:45:09 -0700, "Eastern Edge"
spewed forth :

The White Buffalo is my 'new find' and I've been enjoying it. I do
tend to twist it as I crochet as it's fairly easy to pull apart as you
apply tension. I've also used an improvised drop spindle with it to
add some twist.

I find the biggest issue is breakage; I'd recommend (not that I did,
though) a swatch or two, just so you can get used to how much tension
you can apply to the wool before it breaks...my first attempts had
plenty of splicing. Even just twisting it slightly as you work (does
it on its own if you're working crochet back and forth) makes a big
difference.

Yep, both the White Buffalo bellyband (ballband? cake topper?) and Meg
@ Schoolhouse Press recommend inserting some twist into the unspun
stuff as you work it up. Doing so helps the pencil roving hold
together and also provides a little extra strength in the FO.

+++++++++++++

Old October 7th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Jenn wrote:

One other question - I HAVE a huge problem with dry hands (don't let me
touch silk or microfiber - it gets caught) mostly because I wash them
regularly due to working with yarn on a regular basis (and I cross
stitch) and I don't want to get anything on the fibers. Can you
recommend anything other than udder cream?

**************************

If the dry skin on your hands catches on the fibers of yarn or roving
then put a bit of olive oil and salt on the palm of your hands and rub
like you are applying lotion or washing your hands. Wipe with a paper
towel or soft cloth. May wash with a gently soap if needed. This acts
as an abrasive to the little skin tags that catch on everything. Hope
this helps!

Shirley

acrlic yarn Dixie Sugar Yarn 10 August 15th 06 12:20 PM
Wool applique Susan Laity Price Quilting 23 November 13th 05 06:53 PM
The ultimate yarn snob compairs the performance of wool and synthetics for downhill skiing (long) Yarn 18 January 19th 05 06:53 PM
A question about using wool? bit OT Sarah Grace Yarn 13 September 29th 03 10:00 AM
Felting Wool Lynne in Toronto Quilting 4 July 11th 03 11:57 PM