sore hands

Old September 29th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Emma's Mom

Default sore hands

Hi Ladies,

I am new to the group. I work in technical support (so lots of typing)
and I've been knitting for several years. Lately my hands have become
very sore, so much that I've had to stop. Do any of you have
suggestions to aleviate the soreness? I would appreciate any
suggestions. Thanks so much!

Emma's Mom

Old September 30th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
khoff

What size needles do you usually use? You might try a project that
uses big needles (#11 or 13, for instance). I find that anything
smaller than a 10 hurts my hands.

Old September 30th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Have you tried knitting with different needles? I usually use long
straight needles (one jammed under my right arm), this means my right
shoulder (which has been treated poorly for many years) gets sore. If I
use circular needles (but knit back and forth on them rather than knit
in the round) then this forces me to alter my knitting style and take
the pressure off my shoulder. I'm not sure if straights vs circulars
will help with sore hands but maybe something to try. Keep warm to keep
limber and maybe have a chat with your doctor. I hope you get some
relief soon. Best wishes.

Old September 30th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Emma's Mom wrote:
Hi Ladies,

I am new to the group. I work in technical support (so lots of typing)
and I've been knitting for several years. Lately my hands have become
very sore, so much that I've had to stop. Do any of you have
suggestions to aleviate the soreness? I would appreciate any
suggestions. Thanks so much!

Maybe you need different needles - bamboo isone possibility. Or maybe
circulars.

Higs,
Katherine

Old September 30th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On 29 Sep 2006 11:33:12 -0700, Emma's Mom spun a fine yarn

Hi Ladies,

I am new to the group. I work in technical support (so lots of typing)
and I've been knitting for several years. Lately my hands have become
very sore, so much that I've had to stop. Do any of you have
suggestions to aleviate the soreness? I would appreciate any
suggestions. Thanks so much!

Emma's Mom

1. although I AM one of the 'ladies' here, there *are* gentlement here
as well.
2. size of needles, as per some unenlightended suggestions have
nothing to do with sore hands, it's tension, tension, tension!... do
you knit English/American? If so, sugeest taking up
Continental/German style.
3. Straight needles, aluminum needles are terrible hand offenders...
switch to circs whenever possible, and use natural materials for both
your needles and your fibre.
4. frequent breaks, and doing hand excercises can assist.
5. Doing a load of dishes helps a LOT. I know it sounds sexist, but
it's true... (long story, which I don't have the time or inclination
to tell at this moment.

JM2C,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0639-4, 09/29/2006
Tested: 9/30/2006 6:46:29 AM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old September 30th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

It could be you might be knitting very tightly with a lot of tension on the
yarn then. Don't do this in the middle of a project, but once you start a
new one, try knitting looser with less tension. You can still keep guage
by changing needle sizes, like using a smaller needle when you knit looser.
Or if you are not making actual clothes, it doesn't matter on many tthings
what the gauge is. If you are a person who is prone to this kind of
thing, you also need to pace yourself, like stopping for a miunute between
rows to give your hands a chance to relax. Sounds like a nuisance, but if
you are watching tv, it kind of works out natural if you just make a point
to look at the tv and let your hands go still when you do, every few
minutes, just even for 5-15 seconds.
--
-Cozy

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=cozy_at_home

Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*

ups.com...

Old September 30th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

Hi Ladies,

I am new to the group. I work in technical support (so lots of typing)
and I've been knitting for several years. Lately my hands have become
very sore, so much that I've had to stop. Do any of you have
suggestions to aleviate the soreness? I would appreciate any
suggestions. Thanks so much!

Emma's Mom

I use lightweight bamboo needles whenever possible (if only I could
instantly restock my supply with all bamboo...sigh ).

I used to like working with all cotton. Then I worked with some nice,
soft merino wool. I now hate working with cotton. The type of yarn
makes a huge difference on my hand pain level. I love the way cotton
looks and feels though, so I have to have something else to work on at
the same time so I don't overdo with the cotton.

I had previously avoided using small needles and small guage yarns,
erroneously thinking it would be more painful. I discovered using tiny
circulars with tiny yarn the easiest thing of all for my hands. There
is almost no weight of the project to cause stress on them.

Now that the weather is cooling off here, I need to make an effort to
keep my hands warm enough. So I understand how washing dishes may help

Welcome to the group!

BB
Old September 30th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"YarnWright" wrote in message
2. size of needles, as per some unenlightended suggestions have
nothing to do with sore hands, it's tension, tension, tension!... do
you knit English/American? If so, sugeest taking up
Continental/German style.

I don't think it's necessary to slag the suggestions of others while
offering your own. And I beg to differ with you on your opinion that the
size of needles has nothing to do with it. My hands tend to get sore when
knitting with small sock needles. I put up with it, take frequent breaks,
stretch out my fingers and run my hands under warm to hot water - but
definitely not dishwater (laugh).

Shelagh

Old October 2nd 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:06:30 -0500, Shillelagh spun a fine yarn

"YarnWright" wrote in message
2. size of needles, as per some unenlightended suggestions have
nothing to do with sore hands, it's tension, tension, tension!... do
you knit English/American? If so, sugeest taking up
Continental/German style.

I don't think it's necessary to slag the suggestions of others while
offering your own. And I beg to differ with you on your opinion that the
size of needles has nothing to do with it. My hands tend to get sore when
knitting with small sock needles. I put up with it, take frequent breaks,
stretch out my fingers and run my hands under warm to hot water - but
definitely not dishwater (laugh).

Shelagh

:sigh:
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0640-0, 10/02/2006
Tested: 10/2/2006 12:09:48 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006