accuquilt go?

Old April 25th 12, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
betsey

Default accuquilt go?

on some of the other quilting forum places, lots and lots of raves
about the accuquilt go. i like gadgets g, but i'm thinking "will i
really use it".

so.....what's the opinions?????

betsey
Old April 25th 12, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"betsey" ...
on some of the other quilting forum places, lots and lots of raves
about the accuquilt go. i like gadgets g, but i'm thinking "will i
really use it".

so.....what's the opinions?????

betsey

What is it?
Barbara in SC

Old April 26th 12, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
betsey

On Apr 25, 6:12*pm, "Bobbie Sews More" wrote:
"betsey" ...

on some of the other quilting forum places, lots and lots of raves
about the accuquilt go. *i like gadgets g, but i'm thinking "will i
really use it".

so.....what's the opinions?????

betsey

What is it?
Barbara in SC

hi Barbara-
this is their website. it's a cutting tool--uses dies to cut fabric.
http://www.accuquilt.com/
Old April 26th 12, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

I'd say that it depends on how many shapes you want to cut at one time..it
is expensive and the various cutting dies are exhorbitant...$120 for the one
which cuts 2-1/2" strips.
I've seen them demonstrated on a couple of tv quilty shows and I'm sure
there was steam and bad language coming from the users, even with a smile.
Personally, I would invest the costs into getting a sewing machine out of
layaway sooner! barnyowl

Old April 26th 12, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"betsey" On Apr 25, 6:12 pm, "Bobbie Sews More" wrote:
"betsey" ...

on some of the other quilting forum places, lots and lots of raves
about the accuquilt go. i like gadgets g, but i'm thinking "will i
really use it".

so.....what's the opinions?????

betsey

What is it?
Barbara in SC

hi Barbara-
this is their website. it's a cutting tool--uses dies to cut fabric.
http://www.accuquilt.com/

Thanks for letting me know!
Barbara in SC

Old April 26th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Depends how much you want to cut out and how easy that it is for you to
do this by hand. Its always the extras that get you, you want a
particular shape size etc for a project......

I have seen something similar in action, used by a small shop who made
up kits, so it worked out cost efficient for them to use this.

Personally, I think that the novelty would soon wear off for me.

Janner
France

Old April 28th 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
betsey

"betsey" wrote in message

on some of the other quilting forum places, lots and lots of raves
about the accuquilt go. *i like gadgets g, but i'm thinking "will i
really use it".

so.....what's the opinions?????

betsey

i do tend to agree with you Barnyoul---part of me is curious, part of
me thinks 'i'll never use it enough to make it worth the cost". there
seems to be a contingent of those who think its the greatest thing
since sliced bread. so, i thought I'd ask here.

and yes, i am working on getting the bernina out of layaway (clever of
you to remember!). it will be another month or two--hit with some
expenses i was not anticipating, but it's coming.
Old April 28th 12, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
betsey

"betsey" wrote in message
on some of the other quilting forum places, lots and lots of raves
about the accuquilt go. i like gadgets g, but i'm thinking "will i
really use it".

so.....what's the opinions?????

betsey

Janner- you nailed it. i had no idea the cost of the strip die.
yikes!

betsey
Old April 28th 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I have owned the larger Studio version of the AccuCut Go die cutting
machine for many years. It was originally purchased to mass product
craft kits for camps. When they re-engineered the paper cutting
machine to better cut fabric I upgraded to the new model. Over the
years I have purchased many dies. The dies for the Studio machine are
much more expense than the ones for the Go machine because the Studio
machine is meant for more heavy duty work such as cutting kits for
stores. I am wondering if the $200 price quoted on RCTQ for the strip
cutter was for the studio version?

There is now an adaptor to use with the Studio machine allowing you to
use the less expensive Go dies with the larger machine. This will be
great for dies I know I won't use that much. When purchasing dies I
concentrated mainly on designs which would be more time consuming to
cut using other methods such as the Double Wedding Ring, Robbing Peter
to Pay Paul and hexagons. I also pre-cut kits to be used for charity
sewing days with my guild and other sewing friends. The Take Five die
is a great charity quilt as is the Tumbler. Engineered corners on most
of the triangle and odd shaped pieces really speed cutting. If you do
a lot of fusible applique you can iron the fusible to your fabric
before running it through the die machine for a crisp edge.

If you have trouble cutting the Go is a great tool. A friend with MS
can cut out her own quilts now that she has a Go. She no longer has
the strength to use a rotary cutter or regular scissors. What little
cutting she did for herself before she bought the GO she used electric
scissors.

Yes, you will be able to live without buying a Go machine but it does
speed much of the cutting process. I am no longer associated with the
company but about 15 years ago I did consult with them on why they
needed to upgrade the paper machine so it more accurately cut fabric.
The paper machine would cut fabric but there would be as much as a
1/16 th of an inch difference between the top and bottom piece when
cutting eight layers at a time. At first the company laughed and asked
why 1/16 th of an inch made any difference. I had to explain the
process and show them how that 1/16 inch would multiply across the
width of the quilt. Fortunately they saw the light and changed the
machine. Now with the addition of the Go machine they have brought the
technology down to a price level that is more manageable for the
average quilter.

Susan Laity Price

Susan Laity Price

Old May 1st 12, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Machine costs $350 - $600 (are you really going to choose the
little Baby cutter?); the dies run $111 - $600.
Cutting mats $7- $20 (the guy in the demo suggests having more
than one, & you'll have to have a mat that matches the size
of the die).
So, reckon $600 or more for the machinery to set yourself up in business,
and I'm thinking: that's a lot of fabric allowance! g

But, to each her own.

http://www.accuquilt.com/fabric-cutter-comparison

http://www.accuquilt.com/go-shop/die-sets.html

Lee's really cranking out the piecs: