"Beg" Quilt from Estelle in UK

Old July 19th 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Default "Beg" Quilt from Estelle in UK

I have finally started work on "jazzing up" the "Beg" quilt I
received from Estelle in the UK. A bit of background, now. It's been
about 1 1/2 years since Estelle posted here about a quilt top she had
finished and she **really** didn't like it and was going to get rid of
it. I posted a nice, polite beg for it and sure enough, she sent it
to me. The only thing really wrong with it is that it has some solid
blue and solid pink fabrics mixed in with some lovely batiks. These
fabrics are set in diagonal strips for a 12" hst with a nice black as
the other side of the block.
The solid blue isn't bad (the batiks have a lot of blue in them) but
the pink sort of stands up and begs to be noticed :-).
I spent my holidays last summer and fall acquiring some additional
batiks that had some blue & pink in them but also a lot of green and
yellow. I got a lovely batik fat quarter pack in Ireland and am
using that to make log cabin blocks. The pack has "solid" yellow,
green, blue & turquoise along with three multi color batiks --
vinesleaves & "swirls". The "solids" are one side of the log cabin
and the prints are the other side -- with the yellow as the center.
Unfortunately, I only have enough fabric to make eight blocks as the
are about 12",
In the fall, I was in NH and got to go to Keepsake Quilting.
While there I found a WONDERFUL fabric that is black with rows of zig
zag batik spots all done in yellow, green, blue, turquoise, pink,
lavender..... lots and lots of colors and REALLY works nicely to tie
in all the different colors. I also got two other batiks that are
much lighter so, since I need a total of 20 blocks, I will make
additional log cabin blocks with these fabrics.
The pink and blue will *still* be very pink and blue so I am
planning on using a bit of bleach and a paint brush and tooth brush to
put a bit of "movement" into these fabrics. I was at my quilt guild
meeting yesterday and one of the ladies said you can use Soft Scrub
with bleach on fabrics and it will bleach ot the color!!!! I'm going
to try this as it will be a lot easier to control where the bleach
goes. I will post and let everyone know how that works.
Photos will have to wait as I am using a laptop (my typing is
horrid on this thing!!) here at the cabin and I have no way to
transfer photos from the camera to the laptop. I plan on taking the
camera with me when I go back to GA in August for a visit so I willl
do photos then. I'm excited on working with this quilt top. It's fun
to let my imagination go and work on how to change the "feel" of the
quilt. I will keep you all posted. And many, many thanks to Estelle
for sharing this with me. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^''^
Old July 19th 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I can't wait to see this finished. It's going to be gorgeous!

Sunny
Old July 19th 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

dont leave the soft scrub bleach stuff on too long and rinse it out really
really well.
bleach causes the fabric itself to deteriorate as it eats away at the
fibres.
so quick and thorough removal is the order of the day.
should be fun to watch how it develops tho.
several pix if you have time and remember would be nice.
could be an 'i cant stand this quilt and am tossing it out' will turn into a
stunner.
we all await the final viewing when its finished...as well as pix along the
way, as a record of its history.
good luck,
j.

"Tia Mary" wrote...

Old July 20th 11, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_2_]

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
Sounds really lovely.

Di
Vic Australia

Old July 20th 11, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

On Jul 19, 7:00*pm, Ginger in CA wrote:
Would a light tea wash help "dull" out the pink?

Ginger in CA

I have never been succesful using tea to color fabric! I've used
some *very* strong tea and just had no success. That being said, the
pink & blue aren't really what I would call bright and don't need
"dulling" down. They are more sort of static looking, if that makes
sense. There is so much movement in the batiks that the solids just
sort of stand out when put in the same block. The strips are all the
same width -- maybe if the pink & blue had been half size it wouldn't
be so obvious that they are fighting the batiks. This is why I am
hoping that taking a little bleach to them will help soften them and
give them some movement so they don't look so static and staid -- like
really boring old people at a "peace, love & rock 'n roll" hippie
gathering -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^