Why can't I finish anything?

Old May 10th 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Why can't I finish anything?

I am in this weird funk and I can't finish anything. It feels awful.
I've got three projects sitting, ready to be bound (they're little
things, nothing to be excited about) and I can't finish them.

I did make quickie curtains for my bedroom yesterday. Really easy --
just turned hems all around and a curtain pocket at the top. But I
have been trying to get curtains for one of the bathrooms finished for
three weeks and can't. So it's not just quilty things. I mean, it's
sitting here finished except for a quick hem job and then out of my
way, but..... The septic project is over and life should be back to
normal. My dishes are all clean, sink is empty, laundry done and dog
fed. So why can't I finish anything?

Okay, I'm going to force myself to finish this curtain if it kills me.
I promise, DH or DS will post and let you know if that happens. But
I've never, ever heard of death by hem before.

Sunny
looking for insight
Old May 10th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

On May 10, 11:39*am, Sunny wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like you need to reward yourself with something to get
yourself to finish. It's a game, but it works for me.
Old May 10th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Sunny, I go through those funky times too! Sometimes I think it's
because it's a stage of the project I don't enjoy, and just thinking
about it wears me out! Other times I know what has to be done, but I
haven't done it before and have to work through the whole process in my
head for days before I get the courage to tackle it. And sometimes it's
just because I'm not that crazy about the project and see no reason to
get it done. Besides, you HAVE finished something - your dishes are done
and put away, the laundry is done, and the dog is fed. You've
accomplished quite a lot!

Death by hem! Silly girl! Death by cleaning perhaps, or death by
cooking, but not death by hem!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old May 10th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

You're not alone. This week-end I finally got around to hemming 3 pair of
slacks that have been on a hanger, just waiting to be hemmed, for over 3
years. It'll get done eventually!!
Gen

Old May 10th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

Maybe your psyche is demanding a break from "responsibilites" after your
septic tank ordeal.

ep

Old May 10th 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Sunny, I understand funk. And the "finish it up avoidance" syndrome.
Do you have any plans for "what's next?" or are you at the stage where
you have the (subconscious) feeling that if you finish this project(s)
then you won't have another to work on? Sometimes planning ahead and
telling yourself you really want (not need) to finish what is on your
plate so you can work on something new and exciting helps. VBG
Sometimes I avoid finishing something because I am afraid it won't be
"good enough" or I will mess up the project as I finish it. All sorts
of reasons.
Spend some time thinking about other stuff to do. You have been
through a stressful time, and are still worried about the financial
aspects, even if not actively/consciously. It may take some time to
work your way through it.
It may even be that you are fighting yourself with "have to" as
opposed to "want to" (something my DH has pointed out to me about
myself. ) Go ahead and do some of what you want to do, the "have tos"
will eventually get done.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old May 10th 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's time to sit in the sun with a
cup of tea (or your beverage of choice!) and just RELAX. You sure do
deserve it.

Allison

Old May 10th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Oh Sunny, I imagine you are just coming down from a trying time. Still has
to be stress there with the employment situation.
Weird funks are tough to exit sometimes. If you can just work a bit at a
time it might help. I like to work on charity quilts when nothing else gets
done for me. Starting more projects probably isn't much what you need
though. I'd hate for that curtain to kill you. Set it aside and find
something else to deal with IMO.
Hugs, Taria

Old May 10th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Maybe it's just curtains. I hate sewing curtains. Right now, no kidding,
we have a sheet of limousine window film clothes-pinned to a rod in front of
our kitchen window. Sunshine bounces from our garage and will just blind us
if that window doesn't have some deflection/protection whatever. I could
make curtains... naaahhhh. When that film decomposes, I'll probably just
roll out another sheet and replace it. Did I mention I HATE curtains.
Can't do it. No method or bribe or self-criticism is going to improve me.
So there. Join me, Sunny. Heck with a 12-step program. Let 'em carry us
off to Curtain Prison. Polly

Old May 10th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

hey, thanks for that idea, Polly.
our long kitchen window faces due east and gets the morning sun full on in
your face, it too is blinding if you pick the wrong time to make a cuppa
tea.
great idea. i just told dh. now all i gotta do is get him to stop at the
garden centre and buy some shade cloth for that job. could be used in the
garden after winter when the sun is the worst blinder season.
thanks again for that idea. now i also gotta figure out how i'd hang it
there so it looked not too shabby. i'm sure i'll work it out, just need the
stuff to work with asap.
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote ...
Maybe it's just curtains. I hate sewing curtains. Right now, no kidding,
we have a sheet of limousine window film clothes-pinned to a rod in front of
our kitchen window. Sunshine bounces from our garage and will just blind us
if that window doesn't have some deflection/protection whatever. I could
make curtains... naaahhhh. When that film decomposes, I'll probably just
roll out another sheet and replace it. Did I mention I HATE curtains.
Can't do it. No method or bribe or self-criticism is going to improve me.
So there. Join me, Sunny. Heck with a 12-step program. Let 'em carry us
off to Curtain Prison. Polly

Another Finish Magic Mood Jeep Needlework 3 September 29th 07 02:56 PM
A Finish!!! Magic Mood Jeep Needlework 1 September 23rd 07 12:15 AM
Another finish Jere Williams Needlework 9 January 28th 06 11:02 PM
Help to finish an old kit Sylvia Blanchard Needlework 4 January 22nd 04 01:28 AM
I can finish it now! Lindroos Quilting 0 October 26th 03 04:39 AM