OFF TOPIC BRAGGING

Old April 10th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default OFF TOPIC BRAGGING

On 4/9/10 9:26 AM, "Nancy" wrote:

On Apr 8, 3:28�pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
DS and DH are in Rochester NY for the USA Hockey Nationals (Tier II)

My "little" boy tied for 1st place in the skills competition last night. How
about that?!

How wonderful for him....and for you to be able to
brag about.

Nancy

Isn't good that Cheryl can brag on her big little boy - doing so well in
skills after his team didn't have the same stellar start. We're hosting the
Tier II PeeWees (12& under youth) here - so I've gotten to spend a bit of
time with kids on teams who definitely had a rough start - going home
tomorrow.

My little brag - DH is working the USA Hockey National Special Olympics
tourney. Which includes special athletes in all kinds of categories. The
traditional "special" - which has mentally disadvantaged, and autistic kids.
Sled hockey -- youth & adult - which is amputees/paraplegics. The sled
hockey is amazing. He worked special games last night - each team actually
can have coaches on the ice during those games. Tonight - a triple of sled
hockey - which actually in adult is very full check - the sleds have pushers
(on skates) but coaches are not on the ice. In the adult divs they can have
up to 3 able-bodied players (in sleds), youth divs must all have a
disability that qualifies them. It's pretty amazing. Tomorrow - he does 4
of the games. Anyhow - it's a great thing, and of course as part of the
honor of doing the games, the ref fee is donated. So, a little brag.

But, I will say - after working at the PeeWee Tier II Nationals today - saw
some poor goalie from Alabama just totally become dysfunctional in one game-
Lost 9-1 - and it could've been much worse. At one point - I think goal 8
in the 3rd - the puck actually hit the blade of his stick - he made the save
but then flipped/turned it - right into the back of the net - swoosh. The
opposing team from Portland Oregon was very, very nice, and I think honestly
had backed it down after 5-0. The 1 didn't come til mid 3rd period.

Then, woohoo - a real fun game between a team from Huntsville, and a very
strong team from Delaware. Lots of company in the box (I was doing dual
duty overseeing the scorekeepers and doing the visitor box - Delaware). The
ref was from Kansas - and had a hit from behind called in the 2nd period.
There were 4 kids in the home box, and 3 in the away (2 sets of
coincidentals - not at the same time - plus the kid sitting the 2, plus the
kid who had to sit his 2 & the 10 min misconduct). Making things
interesting - some dads above - from the less northern team - who were
loudly trash talking the other parents, yelling at the linesmen, and then
actually picked on some poor kid coming into the box on a pretty routine
kind of thing. Fortunately, one of the USAH supervisors that I know well
came over & I was able to get him to deal with it (as in the parents were
told they would be removed shortly, etc). And the PA lady made a lovely
"good sportsmanship - enjoy the game" announcement when they came back after
the ice cut. The poor girl in the other p-box - she did a great job - (no
parents allowed in any of these positions - she's from the tourney staff) I
had to yell thru the scorers so they could tell her - and she watch my
semaphores - with who went out when. Of course, then a bunch of my fellow
refs came by at times to accuse me of causing trouble - as if.

The kids were all pretty nice kids. Skilled girl skating on the Oregon team
- she did well - made me think of Cheryl's Elise. It's great being at these
games, and so nice that the majority of the kids really do seem to be here
with a great attitude.

Ellice

Old April 10th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default Oops OFF TOPIC BRAGGING

So just to clear up the ooops - I meant to type "Isn't it good...." as it's
fab that Cheryl gets to brag on DS's accomplishment. Just missed on the
typing - nothing subliminal - just typing in the dark.

Sorry if anyone thought I was sniping.

Ellice

On 4/9/10 10:20 PM, "ellice" wrote:

On 4/9/10 9:26 AM, "Nancy" wrote:

On Apr 8, 3:28�pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
DS and DH are in Rochester NY for the USA Hockey Nationals (Tier II)

My "little" boy tied for 1st place in the skills competition last night. How
about that?!

How wonderful for him....and for you to be able to
brag about.

Nancy

Isn't good that Cheryl can brag on her big little boy - doing so well in
skills after his team didn't have the same stellar start. We're hosting the
Tier II PeeWees (12& under youth) here - so I've gotten to spend a bit of
time with kids on teams who definitely had a rough start - going home
tomorrow.

*big snip*

Ellice

Old April 10th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default Also OT, but ... OFF TOPIC BRAGGING

On 4/10/10 10:44 AM, "Karen C - Calif" wrote:

Gillian Murray wrote:

Don't worry... I have met the child and heaven help any idiot hormonal
male teen who steps over the bounds.

She is delightful, but I think probably knows full well what is and
isn't acceptable.

What Gill said.

#1, at that age, boys still have some amount of cooties.

#2, if anyone tries anything, she'll deck him

#3, if she's really offended, she'll take her hockey stick to school
Monday and turn him into a popsicle.

LOL - kind of depends. But, I'm sure we all have plenty of well-based
faith that "lil' elise" can handle herself quite well. Watching this girl
of similar size and likely skill playing on the similar boys team at
nationals yesterday made me think of her. Then a dad was talking to me -
same situation as Elise - big 11 yr old - 5'3" when she was 10! Played with
the boys til last year, switched to a girls team - played same age group as
Elise, and he said what was interesting that while she liked playing with
the boys, now that she's 11 - she felt more girlish comaraderie playing with
them. That the boys - well - the cooties kind of thing - even as a team
mate - cool being a player - but...

OTOH - in about 2 years, IMHE, we start to see some of the girls on the
hockey teams wearing eye make-up or lipstick. Cracks me up. On my women's
team we had a 16 yr old trying to play with our rec team - and finally we
told her "if you're coming to play hockey with your make-up on, then it's
not about the game. " OTOH - we've seen guys definitely looking at those
pouty red lips (needless to say that young lady didn't make any travel
teams).

Not sure about carrying the hockey sticks in school? Don't think it's
allowed here - they have to leave them locked up somewhere in the school.

ellice

Old April 11th 10, 12:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:28:45 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

My "little" boy tied for 1st place in the skills competition last night. How
about that?!

Well done, K!

And I happen to know that that "little boy" was bigger than my DH
several years ago. :-)

Sara

#1, at that age, boys still have some amount of cooties.

#2, if anyone tries anything, she'll deck him

#3, if she's really offended, she'll take her hockey stick to school
[...]

She was fine - swore all she did was hang out the girl friends...
But I do know that the two 8th grade boys at her bus stop are scared of her
or big brother - or both.

As to the make up thing - I've had the best laugh watching the U14 hockey
players and U15 lacrosse players arriving with their "smoky eye" and leaving
with smears. Only guys around are Dads/Coaches, so I don't know what that is
all about. In both cases, they are no "eligible" boys around. It was the
same with the U16s that were at a recent open skate for DD's new all female
team - includes the coaches.

OFF TOPIC - bragging on DD Cheryl Isaak Needlework 7 February 20th 08 04:40 PM
SM bragging NightMist Quilting 22 May 13th 06 08:48 PM
OFF TOPIC - Bragging on DS Cheryl Isaak Needlework 20 March 27th 06 01:34 PM
OFF TOPIC BRAGGING Cheryl Isaak Needlework 15 January 2nd 06 12:50 PM
Mom's Bragging Rights OFF TOPIC Butterfly Quilting 10 November 11th 05 05:30 AM