Drill for rocks

Old October 1st 04, 04:13 AM
Mick

Default Drill for rocks

I'm looking for suggestions on a drill that is capable of drilling river
rock, most probably granite. Do I need a special drill for this? I
know that diamond drill bits will be necessary. What would your
recommendations be? Also will a masonary saw be adequet for cutting
large stones.

Thanks
Old October 1st 04, 08:23 AM
Rick Cook

Mick wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions on a drill that is capable of drilling river
rock, most probably granite. Do I need a special drill for this?

Yes.

know that diamond drill bits will be necessary. What would your
recommendations be? Also will a masonary saw be adequet for cutting
large stones.

Not unless you have a very elastic definition of 'adequate'.

Thanks

To drill rock of the sort you describe you need a tubular diamond drill, a
copious flow of water or other lubricant and to back the drill off every few
seconds to clear the hole and cool the bit. If you don't have a specially
designed rock drill, which handles the up-and-down motion automatically,
expect to ruin a few (rather expensive) bits while you learn the technique.

A tile saw doesn't have the power and isn't sturdy enough to cut granite or
most any other kind of river rock. If you compare a tile saw to a lapidary
slabbing saw you'll see there's no comparison in structure, horsepower or
much of anything else. Note that the diamond blades are very different as
well.

I have known people who have tried to cut rock with tile saws. They have
almost always been disappointed.

My suggestion would be to check with a local rock club or lapidary society
to find someone who can do it for you, or at least has the proper tools and
can show you the technique.

--RC

Old October 2nd 04, 10:03 PM
Andrew Werby

"Rick Cook" wrote in message

Mick wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions on a drill that is capable of drilling river
rock, most probably granite. Do I need a special drill for this?

Yes.

[You might try a "rotohammer" (brand-name turned generic for several makes
of reciprocating drills) with carbide-tipped tooling. If the rock's soft
enough, it could work much faster than the core-drill Rick suggests and be
cheaper as well.]

know that diamond drill bits will be necessary. What would your
recommendations be? Also will a masonary saw be adequet for cutting
large stones.

Not unless you have a very elastic definition of 'adequate'.

[The drill can be used for this too - you drill a line of holes and pound
wedges into them, splitting off part of the rock.]

Thanks

To drill rock of the sort you describe you need a tubular diamond drill, a
copious flow of water or other lubricant and to back the drill off every

few
seconds to clear the hole and cool the bit. If you don't have a specially
designed rock drill, which handles the up-and-down motion automatically,
expect to ruin a few (rather expensive) bits while you learn the

technique.

A tile saw doesn't have the power and isn't sturdy enough to cut granite

or
most any other kind of river rock. If you compare a tile saw to a lapidary
slabbing saw you'll see there's no comparison in structure, horsepower or
much of anything else. Note that the diamond blades are very different as
well.

[Actually, I have both a tile saw and a large lapidary saw, and the tile saw
is more powerful. If the rock is in slab form, it cuts much quicker with the
tile saw. But there's no way to hold onto irregular shapes with the tile
saw, and there's not enough clearance for big blocks of stone.]

I have known people who have tried to cut rock with tile saws. They have
almost always been disappointed.

[I've been pretty happy, unless the material is very delicate or precious,
where the thickness of the blade becomes an issue. The tile saw blades are
much more agressive than lapidary blades, and may chip edges a bit, but if
it's flat, the tile saw zips right through it.]

My suggestion would be to check with a local rock club or lapidary society
to find someone who can do it for you, or at least has the proper tools

and
can show you the technique.

--RC

[Most lapidary places deal with much smaller rocks than Mick's talking
about. He needs to get together with an old-fashioned mason, if there are
any left...]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Old October 3rd 04, 02:28 AM
Rick Cook

Mick wrote:

In article ,
says...

Mick wrote:

[...]

Thanks Rick... will do.

Mick

You're welcome.
Which reminds me, I need to get my lapidary equipment cleaned and tuned now that
the temperature around here has dropped enough I can work out on the back patio
again.

Time to cut and polish some rocks to go with the chips and savings.

--RC

Old October 8th 04, 01:13 AM
David Bennett

You don't need a special drill. It's the bit that counts. Try a carbide
cutter bit. Diamond is best but they can be difficult to find and expensive,
depending on how large a hole you are drilling. I think you also should use
a low speed and keep water trickling over the area so you don't generate too
much heat.
Re cutting the rocks; try a masonry cutoff wheel that attaches to your
drill. The same rules apply regarding speed and water.
Bridget
k.net...

Old October 8th 04, 12:54 PM
Dave W

I have drilled many rocks using a hammer drill and carbide drill bit. These
bits are not hollow and technique is simply leaning on the drill. Hammer
drill is a drill motor with both rotary and axial motion. Here in the
States they are available at rental centers.
DAve
"David Bennett" wrote in message
You don't need a special drill. It's the bit that counts. Try a carbide
cutter bit. Diamond is best but they can be difficult to find and

expensive,
depending on how large a hole you are drilling. I think you also should

use
a low speed and keep water trickling over the area so you don't generate

too
much heat.
Re cutting the rocks; try a masonry cutoff wheel that attaches to your
drill. The same rules apply regarding speed and water.
Bridget
k.net...

Drill Gauge -- not OT EL Beads 19 March 30th 04 06:02 PM
Question for Harry JB Beads 5 February 6th 04 03:19 AM
That little diamond drill bit I use! Harry Beads 5 January 16th 04 02:25 AM