Question about Stack'n'whack

Old July 14th 11, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

Default Question about Stack'n'whack

Hello all,

most of you probably remember the Singing Quilter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoL7...layer_embedded

Now, I've grown really fond of the quilt shown at 3:24 and I wonder what
makes the charm of this item. Is it the wonderful contrast between the green
and the nice reddish shades of the stars, combined with the right size of
the flowers in the stars? Although I like the colour combination, I might
chose something else, probably containing blue. Which pattern is used there?
Is it just triangles? I bought a book about stack'n'whack (
http://www.amazon.de/Magic-Stack-N-W...0679696&sr=8-1 )
but I'm not sure if it holds the right pattern for this...

U. - far from getting round to quilt anything these days but the brain is
always busy while the hands work on stupid household chores.

Old July 14th 11, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

Is it just triangles? I bought a book about stack'n'whack (http://www.amazon.de/Magic-Stack-N-W...-Reynolds/dp/1...)
but I'm not sure if it holds the right pattern for this...

U. - far from getting round to quilt anything these days but the brain is
always busy while the hands work on stupid household chores.

Those are triangles, but 90 degree ones, not 60, as often used.

The main block is on the front of your book - I'm guessing it would be
inside too? The pattern in the video is not exactly the same, as the
stacked blocks are more spread out, but the basic block is the same.

I found BR's books pretty good for explaining the general idea and
then allowing me to work the specifics out for myself - you might have
to do that to get the more spread out pattern?

Hanne in DK
Old July 15th 11, 06:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Hanne" wrote...
On 14 Jul., 23:44, "Ursula Schrader" wrote:
Hello all,

Is it just triangles? I bought a book about stack'n'whack
(http://www.amazon.de/Magic-Stack-N-W...-Reynolds/dp/1...)
but I'm not sure if it holds the right pattern for this...

U. - far from getting round to quilt anything these days but the brain is
always busy while the hands work on stupid household chores.

Those are triangles, but 90 degree ones, not 60, as often used.

The main block is on the front of your book - I'm guessing it would be
inside too? The pattern in the video is not exactly the same, as the
stacked blocks are more spread out, but the basic block is the same.

I found BR's books pretty good for explaining the general idea and
then allowing me to work the specifics out for myself - you might have
to do that to get the more spread out pattern?

Dang, I didn't recognise that! I guess it takes a trained eye to see from a
picture like that in the video. I thought it must be those 90 degree
triangles but I thought the stacks were somewhat bigger and wondered what
the centre was made of. Hmmmpf, it's just bigger triangles. As for working
the specifics out for myself - I'll have to wait until I get better before I
can tackle that one, so much is clear. ;-)

U.

Old July 15th 11, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

On 15 Jul., 07:41, "Ursula Schrader" wrote:
"Hanne" wrote...
[...]

:-)

But do check the book! The pattern on the front will give you the
stacked blocks, it is "only" the spacing between the blocks that is
different.

Many of the stack'n'whack quilts are done with the main "block" being
triangles that don't extend beyond a central area - in this one they
do, and so to get a "block" you'd need to combine with the background
fabric. Maybe that is what makes it look very dynamic.

Hanne in DK
Old July 15th 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Susan Torrens" wrote...
That is the pinwheel pattern, but with a different setting than in the
book. It can be set square or on point. The quilt in the video uses a
square set, with sashing that matches the background of the blocks.
If you haven't made a Stack n Whack project before, I recommend beginning
with the 60 degree triangle magic on page 72. It only uses 6 repeats of
the fabric, and you can select your background after the blocks are
assembled. I have yet to use the background that I thought would look the
best! I take a few blocks to the shop and try them on many different
colours.
I make one of these every once in a while - sometimes I find fabric that
just cries to be a Stack n Whack!

Well, as for me, I haven't so far come across one. But as soon as I find
one, I might buy a couple of - well, not yards, but you know what I mean.
;-) I'll ponder what you said about the background being added later. Thing
is, that I don't like the 6 repeat version; the 8 looks so much nicer.

U.

Old July 15th 11, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

just an odd thought that probably doesnt work for some reason or other that
eludes me at the moment....with a stack and whack, could the 8x right size
square be cut first, then cut those on the diagonal to get get 2 sets of
triangles for the 8 point block? hmmm. i wonder if it would be possible to
sew the squares together first, then cut them apart. sorry bit early for me
here yet so havent actually sloshed it around inside my head enough to
decide if that would work but what about the squares cut first, then into
diagonals. seems to me squares are easier to cut in the first place from
strips of WOF, then cut corner to corner. just my weird brain at work.
thought of it just now cuz i like the 4 squares kaleidoscope effect as you
get 4 choices of finished block with each set of 4 squares and its just
easier to do, well would be for me anyhow. : /
if any of that makes sense to anyone....do you think it might work or not?
should i go back to bed....
j.

"Ursula Schrader" wrote ...

Old July 16th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

If you layer 8 repeats and cut 4 squares, then cut the squares on the
diagonal, you have enough for 8 blocks right there. I think that is
what you meant, right?

I think the standard cutting method is to cut strips, then subcut as
needed. The main reason for not doing strips would be to fuzzy cut, if
the fabric lends itself to that more than the (nearly) random cuts of
using strips.

I don't think you can't presew, since the 8 triangles that need to be
sewn together are right on top of eachother. With none of the seams
lined up (they go together shot seam to long seam for this pattern).

Also, if you don't add the background fabric before piecing the block,
it becomes a lot more complicated with either inset seams or partial
seams.

Hanne in DK

Old July 16th 11, 08:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

you need 8 triangles for each block.
you'd have to cut 8 squares, cut each on the diagonal and you'd have enough
triangles for 2 full blocks.
tho you could use 4 sqs and alternate the triangles for a different type of
block. had not thot of that.
j.

"Hanne" wrote ...

Old July 16th 11, 10:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

I meant that you do 8 layers, then cut 4 squares (that is a total of
32 squares, 8 each the same). You don't cut the 8 squares
individually.

If you were to alternate, that would really be a wildcard wrt the
outcome :-)

In any case, I think we both have the same image in our heads!

Hanne

*"J*" *wrote:
[...]

Stack-n-Whack quilt question Ann Quilting 3 September 17th 08 02:58 AM
Stack and Whack Starsong Quilting 18 March 9th 08 01:37 AM
Stack N Whack Dorothy Quilting 13 May 12th 07 07:40 PM
there's stack n whack, and then there's kaleidoscopes Musicmaker Quilting 1 February 11th 04 04:35 PM
Back to Stack -n- Whack julia sidebottom Quilting 0 July 23rd 03 07:43 PM