resizing mittens

Old October 8th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Default resizing mittens

my 6 year old wants a pair of these:

http://www.helloyarn.com/piratemittens.htm

except, obviously, he doesn't have 8" hand circumference. the
designer suggests changing to a fingering weight to get a 6"
circumference, which is still on the too big side. obviously i
haven't test knitted anything yet, but is it likely a
fingering weight on size ones (US) might get me close? or
should i just graph out something similar on my own? he's not
crazy about the traditional pointy fingers part...
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old October 8th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

enigma wrote:
my 6 year old wants a pair of these:

http://www.helloyarn.com/piratemittens.htm

except, obviously, he doesn't have 8" hand circumference. the
designer suggests changing to a fingering weight to get a 6"
circumference, which is still on the too big side. obviously i
haven't test knitted anything yet, but is it likely a
fingering weight on size ones (US) might get me close? or
should i just graph out something similar on my own? he's not
crazy about the traditional pointy fingers part...

I think that it would work, but I don't know if I would want to use
that pattern with such fine yarn and small needles. You can always
change the fingers more to your own style. Let us know how it goes.

Higs,
Katherine

Old October 8th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

You can drop the "side seams" - 10 stitches total; you can also omit
the diamonds flanking each s&x motif and save a few more stitches.
Variations on this plus dropping down to fingering yarn on wee needles
ought to produce something the kiddo can wear.

On 8 Oct 2006 06:15:24 -0700, "Katherine" spewed
forth :

enigma wrote:
my 6 year old wants a pair of these:

http://www.helloyarn.com/piratemittens.htm

except, obviously, he doesn't have 8" hand circumference. the
designer suggests changing to a fingering weight to get a 6"
circumference, which is still on the too big side. obviously i
haven't test knitted anything yet, but is it likely a
fingering weight on size ones (US) might get me close? or
should i just graph out something similar on my own? he's not
crazy about the traditional pointy fingers part...

I think that it would work, but I don't know if I would want to use
that pattern with such fine yarn and small needles. You can always
change the fingers more to your own style. Let us know how it goes.

Higs,
Katherine

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old October 8th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Wooly wrote in
:

You can drop the "side seams" - 10 stitches total; you can
also omit the diamonds flanking each s&x motif and save a
few more stitches. Variations on this plus dropping down to
fingering yarn on wee needles ought to produce something
the kiddo can wear.

ah, why didn't *i* think of that? i like the idea of working
fingering on ones, because, even with the double stranding, i
think fingering on 3s isn't going to make really warm mittens.
i think i'm going to have to make a mitten as the swatch with
these though.
i have an aquaintance whose child was born without a right
hand, so if i swatch left mittens & they're too big...
lee
Old October 8th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 14:06:28 +0000 (UTC), enigma
spewed forth :

ah, why didn't *i* think of that? i like the idea of working
fingering on ones, because, even with the double stranding, i
think fingering on 3s isn't going to make really warm mittens.
i think i'm going to have to make a mitten as the swatch with
these though.

I made the matching cap last week for my kiddo. I used worsted weight
yarn but I had to lose 20-odd stitches for the thing to fit his bean -
so I've been down this road with these charts

Happy knitting!

+++++++++++++

Old October 8th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

my 6 year old wants a pair of these:
http://www.helloyarn.com/piratemittens.htm
except, obviously, he doesn't have 8" hand circumference. the
designer suggests changing to a fingering weight to get a 6"
circumference, which is still on the too big side. obviously i
haven't test knitted anything yet, but is it likely a
fingering weight on size ones (US) might get me close? or
should i just graph out something similar on my own? he's not
crazy about the traditional pointy fingers part...

Lee

Couldn't you just take the skull and crossbones chart from Hello Yarn
and put it on a mitten pattern you have that will fit your kid in a
less time consuming yarn size? That's what I'd do. I've found it
doesn't need to be an exact match for the recipient to be happy with
the results, and in many cases, they like it more because it's more
unique, not that they are likely to run across someone else who got
that exact pattern made for them, but you never know. I was thinking
that a small enough mitten pattern in DK/sport would probably only
take 2 skull repeats, which might also help with redesigning the tip.

Leah

Two Mittens Sussi Yarn 12 October 26th 05 11:44 AM
Animal mittens Irishwasherwoman Yarn 8 December 11th 04 06:36 PM
Top-down mittens Carol Yarn 8 October 18th 04 10:47 AM
Winter Sophistication Mittens LLWeisse Yarn 6 June 19th 04 02:24 AM
Folk Mittens book LLWeisse Yarn 1 January 29th 04 11:40 PM