remake mens shirts

Old May 29th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pat Iverson

Default remake mens shirts

Need help to revamp a man's dress shirt to fit a woman.
How to redo the sleeves into 3/4 sleeves. Also any other ideas for refitting
or embellishments to change the look.
Thanks

Old May 30th 08, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Pat Iverson wrote:
Need help to revamp a man's dress shirt to fit a woman.

How big is the shirt, what size is the woman?

How to redo the sleeves into 3/4 sleeves.

Depends. Do you want to save the plackets and cuffs? If
so, are they large enough to accommodate the new wearer's
forearm, plus a little ease? If yes, you could remove the
sleeves from the armseye, re-cut the armseye for the new
wearer's size, and re-sew the sleeve. Or, you could just
taper the underarm seam, cut off at the new length (plus hem
allowance) and hem, maybe including a small tuck for ease.

Keep in mind, the collar is likely to be *much* too large
(not an easy alteration), and the body/shoulders too wide if
the man was large and the woman is small. Also, it will
almost certainly need to be shortened. And to make it truly
a woman's shirt, the buttonholes should be sewn shut and new
buttonholes made on the right front.

Also any other
ideas for refitting or embellishments to change the look.

Add: lace, appliqué, embroidery, beading, sequins, piping,
pintucks, bias trim, different buttons, dye it, ...

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you are keeping the
shirt for sentimental reasons, and just want a wearable
memento? Or do you have a large supply of shirts you just
want to be able to modify rather than buy new fabric?

Beverly

Old May 30th 08, 07:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

BEI Design wrote:
Pat Iverson wrote:
[...]

Going waaaaay back in history, the first assignment in home ec was to
take a man's shirt - probably with worn collar and cuffs - and convert
it to a woman's shirt. Or girl's shirt. I don't remember all the
details, but I do remember that we started by turning the shirt upside
down! We cut the front and back from the front and back of the shirt,
and I think we used the sleeves, shortened, and we made a new, smaller
collar. It wasn't all that long after the end of WWII and lots of
shortages. Oh, this also put the buttons on the "correct" side. We
reused that part when we cut.

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Who Just Bought the Bag of Mens Ties? Patti S Quilting 2 February 24th 06 01:02 PM
Mens Bracelets Pierdas Jewelry 7 December 13th 04 12:37 AM
Mens Bracelets Pierdas Jewelry 2 December 10th 04 04:02 AM
Mens Patterns Susana Yarn 10 October 11th 04 05:08 PM