Home again.

Old June 17th 07, 09:57 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default Home again.

"Murielle" wrote in message

"me" wrote in message
Isn't that truly sad.. I can remember picking wild "black-eyed susans"
for my mother when I was a child in California.. They grew everywhere
in vast fields before southern California became so built-up.

(Now having visions of little children being locked up for picking
flowers... *SHUDDER* )

me

It is sad, but understandable in urban areas where community parks and
natural spaces must be protected. In our city, if picking flowers in
provincial and municipal parks were allowed the parks would be stripped
and the average person (or child) would never see one. Besides, not to be
too cynical, but you just know someone's going to be out there picking the
flowers from the park and selling them at a kiosk at the park gate.

The world has changed since we were children ... I guess we have to take
the bad with the good.

Murielle

That is true, sadly!

I'm glad that I live in a very small town surrounded by farmland, with a
bicycle/walking trail where the old railroad tracks used to be when I was
little. I used to go picking wild raspberries amongst the trees just off
the path a few years back, but once the West Nile Virus scare came into
effect strongly (and there are LOADS of mosquitoes amongst the trees), I
stopped going to gather the raspberries. /

*hugs*
Gemini

Old June 17th 07, 10:26 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Pogonip" wrote in message

And it's far nicer to leave the wild flowers where they are so others can
enjoy them

Very true! Plus, if we don't leave them to go to seed, next year there
will be fewer, and the following year, even less, until there are no more
at all!
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Just for the record... I don't pick the wildflowers. It was only a
suggestion... and some wildflowers grow in an overabundance, at least they
do around here.

Gemini

Old June 17th 07, 10:36 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

Oh I know! Here in Ontario you cannot pick Trilliums, they are the
Provencial flower. They had almost died off years ago, but thankfully are
back growing in abundance in amongst the forests now. So pretty, but I
wouldn't pick them. I actually did call the Police department here last
summer to ask if it was still in effect that they cannot be picked,
considering how many are growing now (the forest floor had a carpet of
trilliums covering it), and I was told that they hadn't been told anything
different from the environment branch of the government yet, so they
assume they are still protected. )

Just a follow-up to my own post.... I called to ask about the Trilliums
because if it wasn't still in effect about picking them, I would have loved
to transplant (not pick) a few for my own flowerbed. ) You can buy
cultivated ones to plant in your garden... I just haven't gotten around to
doing so yet.

*hugs*
Gemini

Old June 17th 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Well you Could buy a tiny pot every week , or some herb with a nice
smell ,,, Every tin y present counts !!!!
mirjam

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Well this teaches you to bring flowers all the time ,,,,, let`s say
every sunday !!!!
mirjam

Nice idea but our local shop rarely has cut flowers for sale. I suppose
I could buy a small pot plant instead but it isn't really the same is it?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Old June 17th 07, 06:47 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Here we SAVED the flowers when it was FORBIDDEN to pick them ,,,, i
started taking PHOTOS of flowers ,,and i plant waht i can ...
mirjam

Isn't that truly sad.. I can remember picking wild "black-eyed susans"
for my mother when I was a child in California.. They grew everywhere
in vast fields before southern California became so built-up.

(Now having visions of little children being locked up for picking
flowers... *SHUDDER* )

me

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:08:23 -0700, Pogonip
wrote:

In some places, it is illegal to pick wildflowers. Don't get caught
picking California poppies, for instance. The fines are a lot higher
than buying a bouquet at the supermarket.

Old June 17th 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Pogonip

Not Likely wrote:
"Pogonip" wrote in message

And it's far nicer to leave the wild flowers where they are so others can
enjoy them

Very true! Plus, if we don't leave them to go to seed, next year there
will be fewer, and the following year, even less, until there are no more
at all!
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Just for the record... I don't pick the wildflowers. It was only a
suggestion... and some wildflowers grow in an overabundance, at least they
do around here.

Gemini

I pick them, too. We grow them in our yard. We started out with one of
those "Wildflower Meadow in a Can" that was a father's day gift, I
think. Some of the flowers did well and self-seed now. Others didn't
last the first year. Real Darwinian Natural Selection at work in our
yard.
Old June 18th 07, 01:19 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

Yes, West Nile!

I tell you, if it's not one thing it's another. ;-))

Murielle

Old June 18th 07, 01:03 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jun 15, 1:11 pm, Donna wrote:
Olwyn Mary wrote in news:46706a8f$0$10194$88260bb3
@free.teranews.com:

I have to behave myself, stay in bed

Olwyn Mary,

I do hope you are following orders to take it easy!! Hope you feel
better soon. Take care.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

Old June 18th 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Joan E.

Bruce wrote:

Nice idea but our local shop rarely has cut flowers for sale. I suppose
I could buy a small pot plant instead but it isn't really the same is it?

ROTFL!!!!! Bruce, you might want to stick with *potted*
plants....they're not illegal!

Sorry, I couldn't resist and I'm surprised no one else picked up on
this before me!

Joan

Old June 18th 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bruce

Joan E. wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Nice idea but our local shop rarely has cut flowers for sale. I suppose
I could buy a small pot plant instead but it isn't really the same is it?

ROTFL!!!!! Bruce, you might want to stick with *potted*
plants....they're not illegal!

Sorry, I couldn't resist and I'm surprised no one else picked up on
this before me!

It must be a local idiom - people tend to say "pot plant" rather than
"potted plant". But there have been several cases, including one not too
far from here, where people have grown illegal plants - purely for
medicinal purposes of course.