Monzilla Thunderbird

Old September 4th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Monzilla Thunderbird

I have changed from Free Agent, and now have to learn to drive this
thing! However, Free Agent is running alongside for the time being, just
in case. I have filtered it too,

I have put my siggy in, just have to find it now! No, so will have to
type it in this time, and go and look up how to find it.

Any handy hints for a Monzilla beginner (I'm only using the newsgroup
bit, not the e-mail) appreciated!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old September 4th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Well, have struggled for the past hour trying to sort this out with
little success. I thought I had sorted out the siggy, but notice it does
not show on this message - perhaps it is automatically added when I send
- we shall see!.

I can't frind any instructions on actually using Monzilla to read
newsgroups. I am used to Free Agent's toolbar with things like 'read
automatically which can be confusing) There is a bubble which sometiomes
has a red dot on it on the left hand lide - I think this donates a
thread, but am not sure.

And deleting. It wont! when I highlight and press delete (or use the
delete on the dop-down menu it says it can't delete other people's
messages, only mine - and then gives the same message when I try to
delete a message which is mine.

If I could only find instructions other than ythe srtt up ones, I would
be fine, as it is I may return to Free Agent, filters or not.

Now to see if a siggy appears when I sent this!

Old September 4th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Have you set up an account for reading news? You have to use "Account
Settings" to create an account for news. "Account settings" is on the
"Tools" menu. You have to give it your news server name, among other
things. I've been using Thunderbird for a while and I don't remember
just what all I had to do to get started; I was using Netscape before
and Mozilla pulled in a lot of information from that.

Your signature did not come through. It should show up at the bottom
when you are composing a reply, so it can be temporarily changed if you
want something different for the current message only. The signature
information must be in a file and you specify the file name on the
"account settings" window.

When I read the news group, I open the RCTQ group, and then use the "N"
key to move to the next unread message. That way it skips anything I've
already see or anything that I have marked as read. You can't actually
delete anything from the list of messages (at least I haven't figured
out how to do it), but if you're only reading unread messages you won't
see stuff marked as read.

It's easy to create a filter -- and I've been doing that a lot lately
You create a filter from a message by using "create filter from message"
on the "Message" menu. If you set the filter to delete any messages that
match the filter criteria, you won't see any new messages that meet the
criteria. You can also use "Message filters" on the "Tools" menu to
create filters or work with filters you have created. There is also a
filter log that shows you how many times a filter actually caught
something.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 4th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY

Sally Swindells wrote:
I have changed from Free Agent, and now have to learn to drive this
thing! However, Free Agent is running alongside for the time being, just
in case. I have filtered it too,

I have put my siggy in, just have to find it now! No, so will have to
type it in this time, and go and look up how to find it.

Any handy hints for a Monzilla beginner (I'm only using the newsgroup
bit, not the e-mail) appreciated!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

I'm guessing that you mean Mozilla??? Thunderbird is very easy to use,
they have plenty of help and faq's at the Mozilla web site.

Judie in Penfield NY
Old September 4th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY

Any handy hints for a Monzilla beginner (I'm only using the newsgroup
bit, not the e-mail) appreciated!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Sally, here's the link to the help for new Thunderbird users,

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/

Just click on the help at the top of the Thunderbird page, then under
help click on Mozilla Thunderbird help.

Judie in Penfield NY
Old September 5th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
gyrlcentric

here is another support page specifically for the newsgroup part
http://opensourcearticles.com/articl..._thunderbird_8

Judie in Penfield NY wrote:
snip
I'm guessing that you mean Mozilla??? Thunderbird is very easy to use,
they have plenty of help and faq's at the Mozilla web site.

Judie in Penfield NY

--
(remove nospam to reply)
~ gyrlcentric * stitch-n-tat.com ~
Old September 5th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Thanks. But this is all how to set up the reader for newsgroups. I've
done all that (and now got the siggy sorted), but the bit I need help
with is actually reading the messages, opening and closing threads,
etc. No mention of that at all. I have now found that you can't delete
postings - a downside, definitely, I like my delete button, it keeps
me in control.

The filter bit is nice to have, but I'm not sure I wouldn't sacrifice
that to be in control of the reading bit.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old September 5th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne in CA

You can set the "view" to only show messages that are unread. Then to
"delete" them or not show them, click on the little green dot (usually
just in front of the sender's name) and it will be marked as "read"
without having to actually open it.

To read messages, just click on them. To expand all threads so you can
see all the messages in them, either go to the view menu and select
expand threads -OR- hit the * key (on the number pad, not the one above
the 8 on the keyboard)

You can also open/close individual threads by clicking on the + or -
sign in front of the thread.

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission errors.
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq
http://annerudolph.home.comcast.net/anne.htm

Old September 5th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

It sounds like the list of messages you see is sorted by date rather
than threaded. On the heading bar that says "Subject", "Sender", "Date",
etc., you should see something that looks like a cartoon balloon way
over on the left side. Click on that and the messages should show the
threads. There is another column header near the date column that looks
like a tiny pair of eye glasses. Messages that haven't been read yet
will have a green dot in that column. You can mark a message as read by
clicking on that green dot. Pressing the N key will always take you to
the next unread message. Pressing the K key will ignore the entire

Julia in MN

Old September 5th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Thanks, that sounds just what I needed to know. Why can't they give
the instructions on how to use the thing!
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)