So, here's the (hopefully) next topic of debate

Old January 24th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default So, here's the (hopefully) next topic of debate

What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now becoming
almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as scrapbooking, and more
& more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson in Feb. with no CLUE what
they're stepping into?

I've never been to Tucson, but I regretfully decided I won't be going
anytime soon (prolly a few years until this fad passes) for fear of blending
in with a mush-head like this*:
http://www.artjewelrymag.com/art/com...=149661#149661

As you'll see I tried to warn them but.... I felt it was a waste of time to
even bother.

Good god.

Discuss! Please? I'd especially love to hear from some of the "seasoned
veterans" who're ****ed off about all this. What can I say, I love ****ed
off people 3

*And I don't mean to spout off such a personal attack on them really, it's
more an attack on the ignorance as a whole... Maybe I'm a snob, but I guess
I can live with that.

-- m3rma1d
--
To reply in email, carefully remove my panties.
www.creativespill.com (Now over a year without updates!)

Old January 24th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Reply from one of those noobs,

Even if the Jewelry raze is just a flash in the pan for whom ever, It is
simply a statement that the ( bead stringer / artist ) is making about what
they find attractive.

The Noobs will mostly fade away, but a select few will move on to bigger and
better, or at least try!

I'm a noob. I have many many kilos of beads. And I sell alot of jewelry,
sure very basic ( but I'm learning ) I started with making a few things for
the wife, they I started to wonder where beads come from. And a couple of
grand later I make beads. whick led to fusing, then to what do I do with all
this stuff. that led to wire wrapping, then cutting cabs, and not to
starting to facet stones.

I tried metal clay to form mountings and didn't like it, do next is the
basics of silver.

So before you hammer to hard on the noobs and if they want to take in a BIG
show and spend money, maybe direct and help guide us, not with your secrets,
but the basics.

There are several (ARTISTS) I'll skip names, if you can't figure who I'm
taling about your in the wrong group ( see noob ), who give lots if advise,
and guidence.

And just to let you know I'm not a bored housewife, I'm male/49 and work for
GM building trucks.

Oh and I do have a clue, a small one, but one all the same.

And last if you want to be a tin god ( silver/gold or what ever) don't waste
the bandwidth, a few of us come in here to learn from true artists

Jim Redden
J.Redden Design

Beadgasms for all

Old January 24th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

"m3rma1d" wrote in
:

What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now
becoming almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as
scrapbooking, and more & more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson
in Feb. with no CLUE what they're stepping into?

I'll step into this. Many a bored housewife are probably as talented, if
not more so, than you or anyone else on this group.
If you don't like what they are doing, leave them alone. They don't need
your approval to make art.
As someone said long before I was born, "Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder." I personally don't know what anyone sees in Abrasha's stuff,
but someone out there besides him, must like it or he would have stayed
home in Germany.

I've never been to Tucson, but I regretfully decided I won't be going
anytime soon (prolly a few years until this fad passes) for fear of
blending in with a mush-head like this*:
http://www.artjewelrymag.com/art/com...p?page=-1&TOPI
C_ID=18133&REPLY_ID=149661#149661

As you'll see I tried to warn them but.... I felt it was a waste of
time to even bother.

Good god.

Discuss! Please? I'd especially love to hear from some of the
"seasoned veterans" who're ****ed off about all this. What can I say,
I love ****ed off people 3

*And I don't mean to spout off such a personal attack on them really,
it's more an attack on the ignorance as a whole... Maybe I'm a snob,
but I guess I can live with that.

-- m3rma1d
--
To reply in email, carefully remove my panties.
www.creativespill.com (Now over a year without updates!)
www.creativespill.com/a_few_new/pieces.html (They were new.. 10+
months ago!)

--
Larry S.
TS 52

Old January 24th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

m3rma1d wrote:
What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now becoming
almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as scrapbooking, andmore
& more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson in Feb. with no CLUE what
they're stepping into?

Don't worry too much about the bored housewives in Tucson. They won't
have the credentials to even be admitted in any of the major shows
there. Nobody will let them in without proper credentials. They will
be welcome at any of the many sideshows all over town.

What are proper credentials you might ask?

- JBT number
- Proof of membership in AGTA, AGS, ASA, DCA, ICA, IDCA, ISA, MJSA.
- A letter from an AGTA member indicating that they are their wholesale
client.

If they do not meet the above qualifications for admission they must
provide one of the following:

- Copy of their business license or tax exempt certificate clearly
demonstrating industry affiliation.

- Copies of itemized invoices (totaling $5,000) from three different
suppliers of jewelry, precious metal or colored gemstones for purchase
made within the past year. Each invoice must show multiple items.

I've never been to Tucson, but I regretfully decided I won't be going
anytime soon (prolly a few years until this fad passes) for fear of blending
in with a mush-head like this*:
http://www.artjewelrymag.com/art/com...=149661#149661

Too bad, I would have liked to have met you there.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old January 24th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Well, to begin with, I'm really glad YOU were never a newbie. I would
hate to think that anyone would have had to waste their time
telling/teaching you anything.

Yes, some people come across as unfortunately ignorant in their
questions. Maybe they are. But does that mean you can't ever do
anything new, or ask questions? Would be a sad, boring world if that
were the case. And we'd never have phenomenon like Grandma Moses or
other artists, if you weren't allowed to try something new later in
life. You can't fight ignorance without learning, and some people
can't learn without asking questions. The net is filled with different
abilities - not everyone can learn by themselves.

I would be more reluctant to go to Tucson for fear of meeting someone
with YOUR opinions, than to meet enthusiastic people who know nothing.
What better way to learn myself, than to teach someone else!

Karin
(probably a newbie by your standards, possibly bored, but not a
housewife.)

Old January 25th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

*And I don't mean to spout off such a personal attack on them really, it's
more an attack on the ignorance as a whole... Maybe I'm a snob, but I guess
I can live with that.

So maybe you are a snob, perhaps we could have the chance to see some of
your work then we could see if we wanted to live with it.

Kendall

[[moderator's note: See Mr. Davie's next post in this thread, after he notices
the needed links to see her work... pwr]]
Old January 25th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

To reply in email, carefully remove my panties.
www.creativespill.com (Now over a year without updates!)
www.creativespill.com/a_few_new/pieces.html (They were new.. 10+ months
ago!)

Sorry I only noticed these links after I sent my earlier posting. -
Unforgivable?

For what its worth I liked the chains in the 'new' section but I'm not sure
that the soldering on the end caps couldn't have been done better.

Serious question - Why do so you hate newbies so much? Sure they all ask the
same questions and most of them will never do anything very new or
interesting and a lot of them think they're really clever for doing the
simple things fairly well. but so what! That's what most people who are
interested in 'creative' things are like. That's what most of the people who
buy the work of creative people are like. We may or may not like that butwe
do need them. I know I do.

I've read my original 'bored' posting again and I can see that it could seem
as if I was criticising people for disagreeing and arguing. If I created
that impression then I apologise for not making myself clear. I liked the
string too. There were parts that I found interesting and informative andI
found myself laughing out loud at some of the responses.

I only started to find it boring when it became obvious that the postings
had more to do with being insulting and unpleasant just for the hell of it.
I find that kind of stuff boring and uninteresting because the interesting
bits of the discussion/argument usually get lost in all the flack.

So I'm sorry Carol L and I'm sorry m3rma1d, I think there should be strong
hard hitting argument and discussion in this newsgroup but I also think that
as the unpleasantness increases the useful stuff decreases and the whole
thing descends into personal abuse and I've all that stuff before.

But please be kind to simple questions. If don't want to give a helpful
answer, fine, there is no obligation but a slap in the face answer says more
about your own state of mind than anything else.

I've posted a few questions here and had good useful answers from people who
seemed to know what they were talking about. I got a few stinkers too. This
was sometimes because the responder hadn't understood the question I was
asking.

I'm glad I got the good responses first and the few aggressive ones lateror
I might have given up this newsgroup and the amazing craft of
silversmithing. We, me, you, nobody should slap someone down just because
they ask a banal (in our lofty view, or was it snobish m3rma1d?) question.

Give them a hand or leave them alone, pick on someone your ownsize, or
better still go and watch Jerry Springer or George Bush or Tony Blair (or
any politician of your choice) and get a lesson in real stupid talk.

Kendall

Old January 25th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

As a amatuer trying to find how to cast, work and finish different
materials, I'm often asking the patient pro's on this group the same
questions they have answered before. I try to look for my answers in
books and online first - but sometimes the questions are so specific
they need a 'live' expert.
But like most people trying their hand at jewelry, I have experience in
other feilds I can draw on. As a (heavy industry)machine shop worker, I
used all manner of equipment and techniques that a traditional jeweler
would not come across. Let's not assume that asking questions and
trying things out will not yeild results that would benifit all. Yes,
there are ways of doing things that smarter people than me have devised
for good reasons. But there are new technologies emerging -
liquidmetal, vapor grown diamonds or cutting tool coatings to name a
few that somebody - maybe a newbie - will have access to and try out
because he or she 'doesn't know any better' and maybe take us all a
step forward.
It may start with beads and end up somewhere quite different - so let's
get as many people from as many different walks of life to join us -
bored housewives included.
Hope that didn't end up too preachy : )

Old January 25th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:10:54 GMT, "m3rma1d"
wrote:

What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now becoming
almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as scrapbooking, and more
& more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson in Feb. with no CLUE what
they're stepping into?

I've never been to Tucson, but I regretfully decided I won't be going
anytime soon (prolly a few years until this fad passes) for fear of blending
in with a mush-head like this*:
http://www.artjewelrymag.com/art/com...=149661#149661

As you'll see I tried to warn them but.... I felt it was a waste of timeto
even bother.

They won't be able to get housing anywhere near this close to the
time, anyway.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjlayman

Old January 25th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:42:31 GMT, HareBall
wrote:

"m3rma1d" wrote in
:

What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now
becoming almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as
scrapbooking, and more & more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson
in Feb. with no CLUE what they're stepping into?

I'll step into this. Many a bored housewife are probably as talented, if
not more so, than you or anyone else on this group.

I strongly disagree with this. I'm active in some beading/jewelry
forums and I can tell you that the average newbie to jewelry is not
very talented.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjlayman

Posting ON Topic threads Tia Mary Quilting 0 October 22nd 05 08:44 PM
Not entirely off topic Louise Quilting 5 May 30th 04 02:07 PM
Gentle reminder - mark Off Topic messages OT Barbara Hass Needlework 7 May 15th 04 04:38 PM
Good Idea? (on topic ramblings) Karlee in Kansas Quilting 4 December 11th 03 09:44 AM
Off Topic Turns On Topic & Fabric Shopping Lisa Ellis Quilting 0 September 9th 03 01:30 AM