OT - Going off line!

Old July 2nd 03, 11:36 AM
CMM PDX2

Default OT - Going off line!

Nora wrote:

Well, I have another idea that I'll run by all
of you. How about besides the
email note, if any one wanted to contribute
to a monetary fund for her, not a
lot of money need to be sent, send it to me
and I'll get the postal money
order
and mail it to her. How does this sound?

Yes, Nora!! Since I'm finally doing somewhat better myself, I can at last spare
some money to help out friends. So many folks have helped me in the last
several years that I'd *love* to pass it on! This is a lovely idea - and you're
right, it doesn't need to be much. I sure know I've appreciated getting even a
couple of bucks on occasion. And if even just of a few of us can manage this,
it'll be a big help.

Gee, remember all those articles back in the early days of the net about how it
was alienating people from friends? Hah! All together now...give those
so-called pundits a *biiiiig* raspberry! eg

Monica
CMM
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/
Old July 2nd 03, 12:21 PM
CMM PDX2

Nora wrote:

Norma,

Just sent you an email, and yes I will be
the organizer if someone tells me
what to do.

(oy, two posts in a row from me; that'll teach me to reply to one post before I
reach the end of the thread...g)

Ok, I'll jump in, since it's 3:37 a.m. 7/2, and I'm not seeing any answers yet.
Remember, these are all suggestions for Nora - if anyone has any other
ideas/modifications, feel free to jump in!

1 - Start a new thread on the board, like, "OT: Snail note to Gemini." Explain
what we're doing. Include list of those signed up so far. Ask for any more
sign-ups, with a deadline for when you'll stop taking names. Make sure people
add their email addies *without* spamblockers, etc., after their names, so we
don't have any delays in mailing this on. You can have 'em sign up on the
group, or by emailing you directly, whatever you think is better. (those of us
who've opted in already may want to re-add our names w/addies, to make it
easier for Nora.)

2 - optional - Someone write a little intro for the beginning of the message
for Gem, telling her that Nora had this neat idea...

3 - After the sign-up deadline, when you've gotten the final list of
participants together, post a message on the group that you're beginning the
mailing. Specify the date you're going to send the message to the first person.
Add in the deadline for when you want the email to get back to you, so you can
print and mail it in a reasonable timeframe.

4 - Then write actual master email to send:
Put basic instructions at the beginning of the mail, which can be pretty
simple. Something like, "Add your own note to this mail at the bottom. Then
copy and paste *all* the messages, including intro and list of participants -
but *not* the footers and headers, subject lines, etc. - into a new email. Send
that mail to the next name on the list after yours." After the instructions,
put the complete list of all who've signed up, with their email addies. Then
you get to write the first message, Nora, putting it underneath all the
intro/instruction blurb.

BTW, I suggested 'copy and paste' rather than 'forward' - forwarding an email
umpteen times makes them too darned long, puts in too many quotes, and in
general, turns it into a piece of spam. Most folks should know how to copy and
paste, or be able to copy the entire thing then cut out the extraneous junk.
(If folks don't, I'll be glad to write one of my infamous tutorial pieces for
them, in excruciating detail. g)

You might want to suggest that folks add their note and send the mail on in a
day or so, whatever timeframe seems reasonable. If we get a bunch of folks, and
everyone takes 3 or 4 days to get around to adding their bit and sending on, it
could be a long time before Gem gets it...

Once you've got the 'master' mail to your liking, email it to the first person
on the list, and just wait for it to get back to you again. When you get it
back, cut out the instruction stuff and anything junk that's inadvertently
crept in, then print and mail! And if people want, you could also post it on
the group, so everyone can see what we sent.

I've probably forgotten some details, but I'm sure someone else will point them
out if I have. gg And Nora, if you want to use any part of this for composing
your directions, feel free! Meanwhile, below is a sort of mini-sample of what
I'm describing for the actual letter. (I've included START and STOP just to
indicate what people would need to copy and paste. You wouldn't need to put
those in, it's just to make the picture more clear. g unless you think it'd
help people remember to only include the important stuff...):

START
Instruction blurb...blahblahblah...

List of people and their email addies

****************
(or some sort of divider line--it'll make it easier for you to remember to cut
the stuff above it out before you print the final.)

Little intro note, if you decide to do that

Your note to Gemini

(others' notes get added here.)
STOP

....and the above between STOP and START is *all* that people should be sending
on. All headers, footers, From/To/Subject line junk that might accidentally get
added should be discarded. Sorry if I sound unreasonably didactic, here, but
you *know* how awful those emails are that have been forwarded by 15 people
before you... galore before each line...ack! ) I mean, we don't
want poor Nora to have to spend ages editing the final, do we? Right. g

LOL--I feel like I'm back in word processing, which is kinda fun. ::snerk::This
is like giving folks job-training in wp; talk about deja vu!

Monica
CMM
---------
Old July 2nd 03, 03:14 PM
NoraBalcer

Monica,

Seeing that I am doing the other one, would you like to be in charge of this,
you have just great ideas and sounds like you have done it before.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 2nd 03, 07:05 PM
CMM PDX2

Nora wrote:

Seeing that I am doing the other one, would you like to be in charge of this,
you have just great ideas and sounds like you have done it before.

Hugs,

Nora

LOL, I just talked myself into a job! Ok, great - nooooo problem. Just to
forewarn everyone, I think I'll have you sign up by emailing me direct, as AOL
has this bad habit of dropping the occasional newsgroup post. I'd hate to miss
anyone!

I'm also going to ask those of us who've already opted in to re-send the info
to me direct, as I marked that message read, and I don't save 'em offline. Just
in case! I'll post the 'official' Mail to Gemini post later, but if any of you
reading this want to get a head-start, feel free to start sending me info
before that appears. For you early-birds, remember, my addy is:

And I solemnly swear :laces hand over heart:: that I shall never, never,
never spread your info around anywhere, even under threat of unlimited S.E.X.
with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. (gack, what a mess *that* would
make of the yarn/fiber...)

Ok folks - keep an eye out later for ze new OT topic. I'll make it obvious.
Knowing me, I'll probably post it in the wee hours later tonight or something.
I'll want to rewrite it a few times, in an attempt to keep my babbling rather
shorter than usual. g

Monica
CMM

---------