Washing Floss or Yarn

Old September 21st 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default Washing Floss or Yarn

On 9/21/06 2:40 PM, "Fred" wrote:

Does anyone here wash their floss or yarn *before* they start stitching?
It would seem to be the most reasonable way to make sure that the colors
would not leach out later when the design is stitched and washed.
Sometime ago I think that someone mentioned that washing before use makes
the floss or yarn a bit kinky and causes it to tangle more. Truth or
fiction??

I do know people that wash some floss - you have to be careful laying it out
to dry so that it doesn't get kinky. Of course, you could just lay it out
to damp dry, and then put a thin press cloth over it, and iron. The only
time any of my regular stitching pals (local) wash is if it's a piece with
either a lot of reds, or a good amount of overdye that they fear is going to
need washing at the end. One of my friends washed some dark overdyes
specifially to soften the gradation of color. Personally, I don't.

If it's kinky - you can always use thread heaven, which I use anyhow with my
overdyes.

I use Anchor floss which I'm told is very color fast and have never washed
it before use or after. I'm not sure what the other brands that are on the
market are like.
I'm a fairly clean stitcher so I have never had to wash a stitched
needlepoint that was done with yarn.

I use Anchor as well. FWIW, Weeks dyes on Anchor floss, and I'm pretty sure
that NN does as well (or did). At the shop, we wash pieces all the time,
and have not had any running problems - as long as they're just floss or
yarn. I don't know anyone that washes yarn first. I'd really hesitate to do
that - especially if it's any kind of blend. I know that when I knit, I now
wash the woolens with Eucalan - which doesn't really get rinsed out, as it's
good for the fibers. When we block NP, it's pretty wet to start, and
haven't had any problems. I've washed some older pieces - no problems -
yet.

You just made me think of one of our very nice customers. She came in,
wanted to do something a little different with some Irish saying sampler she
was about to start. So, I talked with her, and she decided to do a big
section in overdyed green floss. I'm sure I told her to check the tags, that
it wasn't colorfast, etc - as we do her framing and she's one of the
regulars that washes her stuff before bringing it in. Evidently I wasn't
emphatic enough. The shop owner calls me up a day I'm not working - "guess
what, ---- finished the sampler, and she WASHED it - the whole thing is full
of green dye runs" Followed by our debate on my instructions, customer
listening, and us giving her a new piece of fabric....

Ellice

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
Don't backstitch to email
just stitchit.

The closer you get to perfection
the harder it is to achieve.

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof",
"Oriental Maiden".

Old September 25th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Fred" wrote in message
Does anyone here wash their floss or yarn *before* they start stitching?
It would seem to be the most reasonable way to make sure that the colors
would not leach out later when the design is stitched and washed.
Sometime ago I think that someone mentioned that washing before use makes
the floss or yarn a bit kinky and causes it to tangle more. Truth or
fiction??
I use Anchor floss which I'm told is very color fast and have never washed
it before use or after. I'm not sure what the other brands that are on the
market are like.
I'm a fairly clean stitcher so I have never had to wash a stitched
needlepoint that was done with yarn.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

I`ve only had to wash thread a couple of times - once when the pup found it
and dribbled on it and once when I spilled coke on it - in both cases it
kinked and tangled afterwards.

I`ve never had any problems at all washing ( stitched) Anchor. However
clean a stitcher you are I find that a mild wash, good rinse, and pressing
on the back on several thicknesses of towelling, bulks and evens up the
stitching no end, much improving the appearance.

Pat

Old September 26th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Fred wrote
Does anyone here wash their floss or yarn *before* they start stitching?
It would seem to be the most reasonable way to make sure that the colors
would not leach out later when the design is stitched and washed.
Sometime ago I think that someone mentioned that washing before use makes
the floss or yarn a bit kinky and causes it to tangle more. Truth or
fiction??

I usually take a bit of any floss that is bright or deep red through
maroon, wet it, and see if any colour runs. If it does, I rinse the floss
in cold running water until no more colour comes off, but most of the time
the thread is okay. I can't recall that the thread was particulary kinky
after, but then, I seem to buy quite a bit of self-knotting thread at the
best of time.

Dawne

YOur help needed please Norma Yarn 13 March 10th 06 10:19 PM
Floss usage experiment. Results. Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. Needlework 0 August 5th 04 02:28 PM
Floss usage experiment. Suggestions. F.James Cripwell Needlework 0 July 22nd 04 03:15 PM
Addiction to Knitting and Yarn ~ who, US??? Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 10 May 25th 04 12:47 PM
New Yarn - Bernat Lu Lu Make Up Yarn 6 July 29th 03 09:16 AM