roll call

Old January 16th 05, 01:43 PM
Marijke

Default roll call

I saw the roll calls and thougth I'd join back in. I had been gone for a
while, popped back in briefly with the full intent of returning properly but
then got waylaid again. Now, I am here to stay again! Seriously. ;-)

So, the roll call is just a reminder of who we are?

I'm Marijke, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Quilting for about 14 years. I've made well over 100 quilts (only a few were
machine quilted, the rest were hand quilted).

I have two jobs, medical writer and editor by day, registered nurse in
palliative care (hospice) every othe weekend. I'm also starting up a
business, so I'm pretty busy.

My kids love my quilts. They're 17, 15 and 13 (middle one is a girl) and
they really have claimed which quilts they like best, which ones they want
when I die, etc. I laugh when they start doing that. It's nice to see them
enjoy them and use them as they're meant to be used.

I like most kinds of quilts, although I tend to be more on the traditional
side. I am expanding and doing new things with different colours as I move
along life. I'm lucky that I have a nice hoop (grace 2) set up in my living
room by the couch, so whenever I have a few minths, I sit and stitch a few
stitches. It's amazing how fast that can add up.

My greatest quilting accomplishments are, to me, my queen sized whole cloth
that is now on my bed, and a beautiful DWR that I hand pieced and quilted
for my husband's niece who got married this past October. It turned out
beautifully.

Right now, I'm working on a t-shirt raffle quilt, and a hug quilt for a
friend with leukemia. I'm waiting for a couple of more blocks from the group
of friends who are participating and then I'll pull it all together. Another
friend, also a quilter, will machine quilt it for us so I'm only responsible
for the top.

And that's it here in Montreal. Mom of three, wife of one, "mom" to one
retired greyhound, Oscar, and two guinea pigs, Ernie and Bert. :-)

Marijke, in Montreal

Old January 17th 05, 01:12 AM
Cow Whisperer

I belonged to this group a couple years ago then lost out because I couldn't
get the group messages. Got a new lap top and many of the same people are
still here! It's like coming home.... I am 53, married to a wonderful guy
and mom to 2 (who are both grown and away with their own lives), and grandma
to 3 girls. We live on a cattle farm in Louisiana and have many pets,
including a baby African Grey Parrot that Santa brought me. I do all types
of needlework, paint, do woodworking, and ceramics. We have a yard full of
flowers, a big garden, herb garden and large greenhouse. Just got a metal
building 32x12 for my fabric and yarn and we are putting insulation and
interior walls in it now. Going through all my stash to put it away is
soooo tempting to start something new, but I have made myself a promise to
finish some of the UFOs around here before I start something else. It's
good to be back
Cow Whisperer

Old January 17th 05, 02:30 AM
Diana Curtis

Its so good to see you back here! Welcome home!
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

"Cow Whisperer" wrote in message
. ..
I belonged to this group a couple years ago then lost out because I

couldn't
get the group messages. . It's
good to be back
Cow Whisperer

Old January 17th 05, 02:30 AM
Diana Curtis

Welcome home!
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 17th 05, 04:41 AM
Adella

Hello, Marijke in Montreal!

We have a lot in common! I'm a registered nurse and have been active in
hospice work in Northern Calif. for many years.
I'm now retired from active practice, but have been serving on the board
of our local community hospice. I haven't been quilting for very many
years and I still consider myself to be a beginner.

En plus, je parle couramment le français. J'ai passée 5 années de ma
vie en France.

Amitiés a toi!,

Adella

Old January 17th 05, 12:20 PM
Marijke

"Adella" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello, Marijke in Montreal!

We have a lot in common! I'm a registered nurse and have been active in
hospice work in Northern Calif. for many years.
I'm now retired from active practice, but have been serving on the board
of our local community hospice.

It's great work, isn't it?

All of our rooms (9) have quilts that were donated by a local guild. Some of
them are just breathtaking. The patients, and their friends and family,
really seem to appreciate them. That's what I love about this type of work,
it's so all encompassing.

En plus, je parle couramment le français. J'ai passée 5 années de ma
vie en France.

Bravo! En Quebec, on parle un français tres très particulier de le français
de France. Des fois, c'est vraiment difficile de comprendre!!

Marijke

Old January 17th 05, 03:00 PM
Adella

My hospice is community-based and we serve patients in their homes or in
nursing homes only. I've often thought it would be nice to develop some
sort of "cuddle quilt" that could be given to patients who need an extra
measure of attention.
Yes, hospice work is very rewarding and diverse. No chance of ever
being bored or feeling useless, that's for sure.

Bonne année et Happy Quilting!

ROLL CALL Scott Williams Quilting 10 January 12th 05 04:05 AM
Roll Call Assistance Jeri Jo A. Redman Quilting 8 January 10th 05 07:01 PM
Found my roll call posting Susan Laity Price Quilting 5 January 10th 05 11:43 AM
don't see my roll call post Susan Laity Price Quilting 16 January 8th 05 11:25 PM
has anyone counted the roll call? Susan Laity Price Quilting 4 January 8th 05 09:17 PM