Need math help

Old July 21st 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default Need math help

I am soooo mathmatically challenged! I am in the process of laying
out my next project. EQ5 I think has lost it's mind. It's a very
simple quilt. Ohio star blocks w/plain bocks in between - kind of.
Anyhow...I have a total of 156 plain and 1/2 triangle setting blocks.
They are 6 in. square. EQ5 is telling me I need 30 yds! I know this
is wrong but not sure how much fabric I really do need. I can not for
the life of me calculate this and my local sources are all busy and
not answering their phones! Help, PLEASE! TIA

Kim in NJ
Old July 21st 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

AuntK wrote:
I am soooo mathmatically challenged! I am in the process of laying
out my next project. EQ5 I think has lost it's mind. It's a very
simple quilt. Ohio star blocks w/plain bocks in between - kind of.
Anyhow...I have a total of 156 plain and 1/2 triangle setting blocks.
They are 6 in. square. EQ5 is telling me I need 30 yds! I know this
is wrong but not sure how much fabric I really do need. I can not for
the life of me calculate this and my local sources are all busy and
not answering their phones! Help, PLEASE! TIA

Kim in NJ

Kim,

I'm not sure I have quite understood, but here goes:

156 squares: finished 6 inches, so you need to cut them 6.5 inches.

Across a bolt of fabric you should be able to get 6 6.5 inch squares.

156/6 = 26 So you need 26 rows of 6.5 inches.

That is a total of 169 inches, which is 4 yards and 25 inches.

Now, how many 1/2 square triangles do you need?

Hanne in London
Old July 21st 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Jul 21, 11:20*am, Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
AuntK wrote:
[...]

THANK YOU! A total of 40 1/2 sq. triangles plus 4 setting triangles.
Old July 21st 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

AuntK wrote:
[...]

OK, let's try that:

40 HST (I assume these are for the sides of the quilt, right?)

They should be cut 6 7/8 inches square, then split on the diagonal.
Please note that if they are for the sides of the quilt, it will give
you bias edges on the outside!

Anyway, you need 40 HST, that is 20 of the 6 7/8 squares. You need 4
strips of 6 7/8 wide, then cut 5 squares from each. That is a total of
27.5 inches.

By "setting triangles" I guess you mean the corners of the top? So 4
QST? Again beware of bias on the outside. For this you need just one
square and cut them all from that one.

Now if all your setting squares and triangles are from the same fabric,
you should need

169" for squares
28" for HSTs
8" for QSTs

(I've rounded up on the last two).

Total of 205", that just under 5 3/4 yards. You might want to add a
little extra for shrinkage etc.

You might also want to wait a few hours and see how many tell us that my
maths is bad :-)

Hanne in London
Old July 21st 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

AuntK wrote:
[...]

Hanne in London- Hide quoted text -

Hanne - thank you! You are correct, all the squares, 1/2 and 1/4 sq.
triangles are all the same fabric. And I always overbuy anyhow just
for kicks & giggles. I knew 30 yds. was just waaaay too much and
probably had I worked it out the way you did for me I could have done
it. I was going on the sq. in/yd. of fabric thing and that was just
making my head spin! The bias on the outside should be a treat as I'm
planning on doing a large scalloped edge treatment! But after my last
adventure with 2 triangle borders to make up a zig zag border - the
scalloped edge should be a breeze!

Kim in NJ
Old July 21st 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

AuntK wrote:
[...]

I also thing the sq inch calculations can cheat you a fair bit: What if
the squares (or whatever) that you need to cut _just_ do not fit nicely
across the width of the fabric. Then there is a certain amount of waste
(not really, this can be used for something else, but in terms of the
calculations), and that is hard to keep track of if only doing sq inches.

Me, I always draw a little cutting diagram :-) Like the end of a bolt of
fabric, then mark out x pieces across (or at least write it), then work
out how many rows. Sometimes a partial row of one size fits with one or
more partials of different sizes. This is particularly worth it if I
have only just enough to do what I want.

And yes, 30 yards is too much! At least for one normal size quilt it is.
I think I've seen rough estimates that for a pieced top to expect about
3 times the sq inches of the finished top to be used in the making. But
that is for everything, and you needed only setting squares/triangles.
Obviously you managed to befuddle EQ :-)

Glad to help.

Hanne in London

Old July 21st 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I believe that's always been a problem with EQ. The way it estimates fabric
for triangles doesn't work well.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 21st 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

A bit of a reminder of how EQ figures yardage estimates....
The program draws a rectangle around each shape in the quilt. If your
squares are on point, they essentially figure a square around that
square, which is a lot of waste. To get a more accurate EQ estimate of
yardage, do a horizontal layout of the same number of squares you need,
color them all the same and get the fabric estimate for that fabric. VBG
For your setting triangles, color the side setting tris a different
color, the corner tris a third color. Then check the layout they use, by
clicking on the tri, then print-rotary cut. If it is a quarter square
triangle divide the fabric requirement by 4, if it is a HST then cut the
fabric requirement in half. G
A bit of a work around, but you don't have to do much math. And the
requirements are usually on the long side too. VBG

Pati,in Phx

Old July 21st 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lenore L

How many plain and how many 1/2 sq. triangles? Two colors I'm
assuming.......

Assuming half and half and having 44" fabric (not using selveges):

You can get 6 - 7" blocks from each width of fabric (I'm allowing 7" in
order to have a little cutting fudge allowance.

6 x 7" = 42 inches

From each yard you can get five widths.

5 x 7" = 35 inches

From each yard, you can get 30 pieces. The allowance

6 blocks x 5 widths = 30

For 156 squares: 156/30 = 5 1/4 yards.

I'd get 2 3/4 yard of each. That way, you'll have a couple of strips left
for your next log cabin quilt!

Hope this helps.

Lenore

math ? Toni Schneidt Quilting 4 May 16th 06 02:27 PM
math, math, math - - help! Karen, Queen of Squishies Quilting 8 April 20th 06 02:36 AM
need some math help judy in fort worth Quilting 7 February 15th 06 04:57 PM
My math and me Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 0 December 30th 04 02:16 PM
Math help Sherry Starr Quilting 16 March 9th 04 02:49 AM