Blocking

Old August 2nd 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Blocking

Mary Fisher said:

That would be a great idea but I don't think I know anyone with playrooms,
our grandchildren certainly don't. We're not a wealthy family and most
English houses are much smaller than most American ones - in my limited
experience.

Hi Mary,

The interlocking foam pieces are about 2 foot square each, and work
quite well. One doesn't need a playroom or children to own these. A
pi shawl blocking would take up as much room on these as it would on a
bed or a futon, so the space really isn't an issue.

What I like best about these is you can block small things one one
square or go as large as you need by adding more pieces. They can
also be moved around making them more flexible than furniture or a
floor.

Hesira

Old August 2nd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

"hesira" wrote...
Hi Mary,

The interlocking foam pieces are about 2 foot square each, and work
quite well. One doesn't need a playroom or children to own these. A
pi shawl blocking would take up as much room on these as it would on a
bed or a futon, so the space really isn't an issue.

What I like best about these is you can block small things one one
square or go as large as you need by adding more pieces. They can
also be moved around making them more flexible than furniture or a
floor.

Hesira

Where do you get these?

--
Jan in MN

Old August 2nd 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Hi Jan,

I got mine at Toys R US. I think a pack of 4 squares that measure 2
feet x 2 feet each was 15 or 20 dollars US (I can't remember
exactly). You could probably get them from Walmart or Target, too. I
found this link where you can order them in many different colors, but
they may be a little more expensive than discount store prices:

http://www.softtiles.com/?gclid=CMy_...FTyKOAodfUCLlg

Hesira

PS: When I wrote the original reply, it was around 2:00 am (insomnia)
and I'm embarassed by my typos! OOPS.

On Aug 2, 10:33 am, "Jan" wrote:

Where do you get these?

Jan in MN

Old August 2nd 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Jan,

I have found them at Lowe's for $17. We got them for our living room floor
(we have all hardwood) when my daughter was learning to sit up on her own.
She didn't seem to mind me borrowing them once in a while for blocking on
the dining room table Another thing that is nice about them is that you
can arrange them in different shapes for blocking long scarves, triangular
shawls, etc.

LauraJ

Old August 2nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"hesira" wrote in message
ups.com...
The interlocking foam pieces are about 2 foot square each, and work
quite well. One doesn't need a playroom or children to own these. A
pi shawl blocking would take up as much room on these as it would on a
bed or a futon, so the space really isn't an issue.

What I like best about these is you can block small things one one
square or go as large as you need by adding more pieces. They can
also be moved around making them more flexible than furniture or a
floor.

Hesira

What a good idea! )

*hugs*
Gemini

Old August 3rd 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Jan wrote:

"hesira" wrote...
Hi Mary,

The interlocking foam pieces are about 2 foot square each, and work
quite well. One doesn't need a playroom or children to own these. A
pi shawl blocking would take up as much room on these as it would on
bed or a futon, so the space really isn't an issue.

What I like best about these is you can block small things one one
square or go as large as you need by adding more pieces. They can
also be moved around making them more flexible than furniture or a
floor.

Hesira

Where do you get these?

I got mine from Amazon.com; they're listed as exercise mats. Actually,
I got the idea from the Wendyknits blog (thanks, Wendy!!). Amazon
didn't have the 2-foot ones in stock when I ordered so I got the 12
1-foot square ones for now. Cost me about $12 for the 12 square feet,
and if you're not in a rush you can get free shipping.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old August 3rd 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

Thanks, Hesira. It helps to see a picture of them. By the way, I never
noticed your typos.

--
Jan in MN

"hesira" wrote ...
Hi Jan,

I got mine at Toys R US. I think a pack of 4 squares that measure 2
feet x 2 feet each was 15 or 20 dollars US (I can't remember
exactly). You could probably get them from Walmart or Target, too. I
found this link where you can order them in many different colors, but
they may be a little more expensive than discount store prices:

http://www.softtiles.com/?gclid=CMy_...FTyKOAodfUCLlg

Hesira

PS: When I wrote the original reply, it was around 2:00 am (insomnia)
and I'm embarassed by my typos! OOPS.

On Aug 2, 10:33 am, "Jan" wrote:

Where do you get these?

Jan in MN

Old August 3rd 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

Thanks for the tip, Laura. How many did you get for $17?

--
Jan in MN

"Laura J" wrote ...

Old August 3rd 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

26 squares, about 1 sqft. each.

Here is my Branching Out scarf blocking on the foam squares:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/4...28b401.jpg?v=0

LauraJ

Old August 3rd 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

"The Other Kim" wrote
I got mine from Amazon.com; they're listed as exercise mats. Actually, I
got the idea from the Wendyknits blog (thanks, Wendy!!). Amazon didn't
have the 2-foot ones in stock when I ordered so I got the 12 1-foot square
ones for now. Cost me about $12 for the 12 square feet, and if you're not
in a rush you can get free shipping.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

That's a good price - I'll have a look. Thanks.

--
Jan in MN

Blocking Wooly Yarn 9 January 23rd 06 09:04 PM
Sock-blocking? spampot Yarn 4 April 16th 05 10:09 PM
Blocking question K. Reece Yarn 4 July 3rd 04 04:10 AM
Blocking Laura Yarn 7 April 3rd 04 09:40 PM
blocking SlinkyToy Yarn 3 September 9th 03 03:42 PM