Blocking

Old July 31st 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Blocking

I've just completed a pi shall, to my own design. It's about 2m, 75"
diameter and I don't know how to block it - I haven't any surface except the
floor which will take that expanse. How do other people do it?

It will be the last time I knit a pi shawl, it became monotonous with no
challenge.

Mary

Old July 31st 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 31, 1:39 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've just completed a pi shall, to my own design. It's about 2m, 75"
diameter and I don't know how to block it - I haven't any surface except the
floor which will take that expanse. How do other people do it?

On the floor, at my mother's-in-law house where there are no parades
of dirty-footed children or dirty-footed cats to trek stuff onto my
damp shawls.

It will be the last time I knit a pi shawl, it became monotonous with no
challenge.

Once you understand the mechanics of Pi you can dress it up or down to
your heart's content. I've made half a dozen Pi shawls now, the first
was "by the book" using EZ's lace inserts (simple), the other five
followed the Pi formula but I used lace patterns of my own choosing.

But obviously Pi isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Old July 31st 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 31, 1:39 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've just completed a pi shall, to my own design. It's about 2m, 75"
diameter and I don't know how to block it - I haven't any surface except
the
floor which will take that expanse. How do other people do it?

On the floor, at my mother's-in-law house where there are no parades
of dirty-footed children or dirty-footed cats to trek stuff onto my
damp shawls.

But how do you pin it down?

It will be the last time I knit a pi shawl, it became monotonous with no
challenge.

Once you understand the mechanics of Pi you can dress it up or down to
your heart's content.

I understand it perfectly.

I've made half a dozen Pi shawls now, the first
was "by the book" using EZ's lace inserts (simple), the other five
followed the Pi formula but I used lace patterns of my own choosing.

As I said, I made my own design - aka pattern. It's very lacy and
complicated. But it wasn't as challenging as frequent and regular
increasing.

The yarn I used was 2ply baby yarn left over from ancient projects for baby
shawls, the result is very light, cobwebby and delicate. It might be given
to a granddaughter, I certainly have no use for it but I wanted to make
something interesting and was disappointed. If I'd stuck to the diamond
pattern suggested I'd have given up due to the boredom factor.

But obviously Pi isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Certainly not mine, I'll be doing an Heirloom design next - now that WILL be
a challenge.

Mary

Old August 1st 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 31, 2:37 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
wrote in message

But how do you pin it down?

On a clean sheet, with a metric asston (that's a technical term
meaning "more than you can count without drinking a few beers") of
pins. Pins with LARGE, BRIGHTLY-COLORED heads work best if you want
to actually find the pins later by sight and not with the soles of
your feet.

I understand it perfectly.

Congratulations.

As I said, I made my own design - aka pattern. It's very lacy and
complicated. But it wasn't as challenging as frequent and regular
increasing.

And sometimes we all need a little motonous knitting. I made one
entire Pi while on deathwatch with my father-in-law. Made another
while on "mind the nurses" duty after my mother-in-law had surgery
last year. Pi Are Easy, but Pi Are Fast, too, when you need them to
be. And as Elizabeth pointed out - Pi made with fine yarn on small
needles makes for lots of cheap knitting.

But obviously Pi isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Certainly not mine, I'll be doing an Heirloom design next - now that WILL be
a challenge.

Funny. I'm working on an Aran from my own handspun right now. It's
gotten more than a little monotonous but I'll perservere because I
want to enter it in a fair next month. My next planned project is a
cobweb shawl of my own design, based on Sharon Miller patterns. I
don't expect it to be fast, and it won't be public knitting, but I'll
probably start another Pi as a take-along project.

Old August 1st 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I took the idea and upsided it , i started at the widest side and
worked my way to the point with the least stitches , i found it quite
a challange to work out the calculations ,,,,
mirjam

Old August 1st 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

But how do you pin it down?

On a clean sheet, with a metric asston (that's a technical term
meaning "more than you can count without drinking a few beers") of
pins. Pins with LARGE, BRIGHTLY-COLORED heads work best if you want
to actually find the pins later by sight and not with the soles of
your feet.

I always use glass headed pins but a sheet would just slide over the floor.
Im not convinced.

And sometimes we all need a little motonous knitting.

Not me. That's why I have a machine - for single colour stocking stitch.
mind you, I haven't used it since the children needed school uniform. The
youngest is 38 ...

... I'll be doing an Heirloom design next - now that WILL be
a challenge.

Funny. I'm working on an Aran from my own handspun right now. It's
gotten more than a little monotonous but I'll perservere because I
want to enter it in a fair next month.

I've loved Aran knitting since I was taught it, as a child, the more
complicated the better. But not in summer :-)

My next planned project is a
cobweb shawl of my own design, based on Sharon Miller patterns. I
don't expect it to be fast,

Knitting doesn't have to be fast, for me, just interesting.

Mary

Old August 1st 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 1, 8:36 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
But how do you pin it down?

I always use glass headed pins but a sheet would just slide over the floor.
Im not convinced.

My mother-in-law has carpet. Apparently you don't.

Not me.

Good for you that you have no stressful times in your life that
prevent you paying close attention to your knitting. I too have
knitting machines - three of them now - for turning out miles of
stockinette fabric for baby blankets that I send off to be edged by
hand and donated to preemie units. I can't shove a knitting machine
in my purse and work on it while waiting things to happen but I can
stuff a Pi or a pair of socks in my bag for just such occasions.

Just this morning I realized you're the sort who will take issue with
everything or find a reason to poo-poo any suggestion given you, so I
won't waste any more of my time.

Old August 1st 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
turtlegirl76

On Jul 31, 2:39 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've just completed a pi shall, to my own design. It's about 2m, 75"
diameter and I don't know how to block it - I haven't any surface except the
floor which will take that expanse. How do other people do it?

It will be the last time I knit a pi shawl, it became monotonous with no
challenge.

Mary

If you have a bed or a futon that might work. If you have a carpetted
floor life will be easier for you but if you don't, some people have
those interlocking foam pieces for children's play rooms that they use
for blocking. You can interlock them in whatever shape you need and
pin straight to them. But you'll still need a metric asston of pins,
glass head or not.

Old August 1st 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 1, 8:36 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
But how do you pin it down?

I always use glass headed pins but a sheet would just slide over the
floor.
Im not convinced.

My mother-in-law has carpet. Apparently you don't.

I don't, we got rid of them deliberately and are happy that we did, wood is
much easier to clean and this is a warm house.

Good for you that you have no stressful times in your life that
prevent you paying close attention to your knitting.

That's because I don't want anything I don't have - at least, that's my
theory. I'm sorry for anyone who doesn't.

Just this morning I realized you're the sort who will take issue with
everything or find a reason to poo-poo any suggestion given you, so I
won't waste any more of my time.

Actually, that says more about you than about me - but you won't see this so
I've wasted a few seconds of my time.

No problem, when God made Time She made plenty of it :-)

Mary

Old August 1st 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"turtlegirl76" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 31, 2:39 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've just completed a pi shall, to my own design. It's about 2m, 75"
diameter and I don't know how to block it - I haven't any surface except
the
floor which will take that expanse. How do other people do it?

Mary

If you have a bed or a futon that might work.

Ah, I thought about a bed but it wasn't big enough. But I could prop up the
futon on the boxes of wine at the side of the bed and use that - thanks!
Great idea :-)

If you have a carpetted
floor life will be easier for you

We haven't.

but if you don't, some people have
those interlocking foam pieces for children's play rooms that they use
for blocking. You can interlock them in whatever shape you need and
pin straight to them.

That would be a great idea but I don't think I know anyone with playrooms,
our grandchildren certainly don't. We're not a wealthy family and most
English houses are much smaller than most American ones - in my limited
experience.

No, I'll go with the bed/futon idea and thank you very much.

Mary

Blocking Wooly Yarn 9 January 23rd 06 09:04 PM
Sock-blocking? spampot Yarn 4 April 16th 05 10:09 PM
Blocking question K. Reece Yarn 4 July 3rd 04 04:10 AM
Blocking Laura Yarn 7 April 3rd 04 09:40 PM
blocking SlinkyToy Yarn 3 September 9th 03 03:42 PM