tailor tacking

Old February 7th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
suzeq

Default tailor tacking

There is an alternative to tailor tacking that I much prefer.
However, in some cases tailor tacking is a must. My solution: Using
straight pins with a large head, I use the ones that can be ironed
over, Put the pin through pattern and both layers of fabric with head
at the dot you want to mark. Pop the pattern off, with pin still in
place, fold back the top layer, you can feel the head of the pin, take
your marker, whatever you use, and you can mark a dot on both pieces
of the fabric. By the way, I put my fabric wrong sides together for
this purpose. You can leave the pieces together until you need to sew
them, with pin still in, or separate them, if you wish. Your
preference. To me, this is much faster than tailor tacking. Silvia
who has been sewing 55 years.

Old February 7th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

suzeq wrote:
There is an alternative to tailor tacking that I much prefer.
However, in some cases tailor tacking is a must. My solution: Using
straight pins with a large head, I use the ones that can be ironed
over, Put the pin through pattern and both layers of fabric with head
at the dot you want to mark. Pop the pattern off, with pin still in
place, fold back the top layer, you can feel the head of the pin, take
your marker, whatever you use, and you can mark a dot on both pieces
of the fabric. By the way, I put my fabric wrong sides together for
this purpose. You can leave the pieces together until you need to sew
them, with pin still in, or separate them, if you wish. Your
preference. To me, this is much faster than tailor tacking. Silvia
who has been sewing 55 years.

I do the pin thing on lots of fabrics, but silk or anything slippery
gets the full tailr's tack treatment!

I also have a pattern marking thingy that you use with tracing paper to
put dots on the fabric. That too can be very useful and a good way to
mark up several layers at once.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 7th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno

Kate XXXXXX wrote:

I also have a pattern marking thingy that you use with tracing paper to
put dots on the fabric. That too can be very useful and a good way to
mark up several layers at once.

That works only if you haven't left your rotary cutter on the table
right next to the patterns marker thingy and left the blade exposed. I
did that once and learned to be sure cover the blade and to move the
cutter far,far away from my work area. I cut the neatest slash you can
imagine into a piece of fabric because I didn't put the cutter away.
Learned that lesson well and good.
Juno
Old February 7th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

Juno wrote:
Kate XXXXXX wrote:

I also have a pattern marking thingy that you use with tracing paper
to put dots on the fabric. That too can be very useful and a good way
to mark up several layers at once.

That works only if you haven't left your rotary cutter on the table
right next to the patterns marker thingy and left the blade exposed. I
did that once and learned to be sure cover the blade and to move the
cutter far,far away from my work area. I cut the neatest slash you can
imagine into a piece of fabric because I didn't put the cutter away.
Learned that lesson well and good.
Juno

Ooooouuuuuccccchhhhh! I can see me doing exactly that!
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old February 9th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Taria

Sounds like something we would see on an I love Lucy episode if
they were made today.
Taria

IMS wrote:

Sounds like something I would do; in addition to slashing my finger

-Irene

Old February 9th 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On 7 Feb 2007 06:31:10 -0800, suzeq wrote:
There is an alternative to tailor tacking that I much prefer.
However, in some cases tailor tacking is a must. My solution: Using
straight pins with a large head, I use the ones that can be ironed
over, Put the pin through pattern and both layers of fabric with head
at the dot you want to mark. Pop the pattern off, with pin still in
place, fold back the top layer, you can feel the head of the pin, take
your marker, whatever you use, and you can mark a dot on both pieces
of the fabric. By the way, I put my fabric wrong sides together for

This is one of the methods I use for marking, but I've got a couple of
others, too... so some random comments:

--for tailor tacks on loosely woven fabrics, I often use serger chain.
It's just 3-4 pieces of thread, so it slips through an embroidery needle
eye nicely, but "fluffs up" and holds in the fabric nicely when you're not
holding it taut.

-- whenever possible, I use the RTW manufacturing method of marking
the point of a dart 1/2" back from the actual point, by whatever method
I use... a tailor tack, a dot of chalk, a scrap of tape. The legs of the
dart are often marked with a small clip to the seam allowance. Shaped
darts (with curved legs) I do mark with tailor tacks, but put them 1/4"
inside the dart legs, so I don't have to pick out tacks as I'm sewing.

-- end points of darts and pocket placement points can also be marked with
a "scooch hole" in many (but not all!) fabrics. An awl or even a sewing
machine needle, pulled through the thicknesses of fabric, can leave a
distortion in the weave enough to mark the needed position. This mark
should not be made on a seamline, but 1/4 - 1/2" off the actual position.
Try this on a scrap of your fabric first before committing to using it
on any particular fabric.

Kay