Crochet Socks

Old October 17th 05, 09:54 PM
Eastern Edge

Default Crochet Socks

Just popping in for a minute to ask, after all the discussion over knit
socks, if anyone's had any luck with crocheting socks? I've just
attempted my third pair and no matter how much I try, they don't turn
out. I have a pattern (and before you ask, yes, Nora, I DID follow it)
but only the very first pair I made turned out as wearable socks. The
other two pairs (well, two incomplete socks and one complete) are
reconciled to a box of UFOs until I feel like frogging or tossing them.
The main problem seems to be that I can't get the heel turning
correct; the socks measure fine until the turning, then they become too
narrow through the instep. Any advice? Would making the heels wider
before turning solve it, or just make them too bulky at the heel?

To make matters worse, I've had four requests for socks as Christmas
presents!

Michelle
(St. John's)

Old October 18th 05, 12:04 AM
The YarnWright

Hi, Michelle!
I've crocheted socks many times, but prefer knitting them, so I can't be of
much help, as it's been aeons since I've crocheted them, except for slipper
socks!
Good luck, though, and welcome back to the group!
Hugs,
Noreen

oups.com...

Old October 18th 05, 01:21 AM
Eastern Edge

The YarnWright wrote:
Hi, Michelle!
I've crocheted socks many times, but prefer knitting them, so I can't be of
much help, as it's been aeons since I've crocheted them, except for slipper
socks!
Good luck, though, and welcome back to the group!
Hugs,
Noreen

Thanks Noreen. I'm thinking of trying a pair of slippers rather than
the socks to see if I have an easier time.

So glad to be able to post again!

Michelle
(St. John's)

Old October 18th 05, 02:28 AM
Katherine

Eastern Edge wrote:
[...]

Welcome back, Michelle! As you know, I only knit socks, but I have read
about odd people who crochet them. g

Hugs,
Katherine

Old October 18th 05, 02:35 AM
Richard Eney

In article .com,
Eastern Edge wrote:
Just popping in for a minute to ask, after all the discussion over knit
socks, if anyone's had any luck with crocheting socks? I've just
attempted my third pair and no matter how much I try, they don't turn
out. I have a pattern (and before you ask, yes, Nora, I DID follow it)
but only the very first pair I made turned out as wearable socks.

Can you look very carefully - stitch by stitch - at the first pair
to see what you did then, that you didn't do on the others?

The main problem seems to be that I can't get the heel turning
correct; the socks measure fine until the turning, then they become too
narrow through the instep. Any advice? Would making the heels wider
before turning solve it, or just make them too bulky at the heel?

Knitted socks are usually made wider at the heel by extending down
for the heel and then picking up along the sides of the extension
(which makes them very wide) and working in the round again, narrowing
slowly where the extra width was added, until they are the right size
for the foot. The same could be done with crocheted socks.

Does the pattern have a place where it says to increase for the heel?

Another way to make a knitted heel is to knit short rows back and forth,
shorter every time (keeping the stitches no longer in use on holders)
and then going wider again, picking up the previously abandoned stitches.
This makes the usual heel you see on commercial socks.

To make matters worse, I've had four requests for socks as Christmas
presents!

They must have liked the first set you did!

=Tamar
Old October 18th 05, 02:47 AM
Eastern Edge

I resemble that remark......

Did you get that little wrap sweater made for Jesika after?

I may have to try knitting these socks, I think.

Michelle

Old October 18th 05, 02:58 AM
Eastern Edge

Hi Richard/Tamar (sorry, can't remember which you go by!)

Richard Eney Oct 17, 11:35 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
From: (Richard Eney) - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 01:35:45 -0000
Subject: Crochet Socks
original | Report Abuse

In article .com,

Eastern Edge wrote:
Just popping in for a minute to ask, after all the discussion over knit
socks, if anyone's had any luck with crocheting socks? I've just
attempted my third pair and no matter how much I try, they don't turn
out. I have a pattern (and before you ask, yes, Nora, I DID follow it)
but only the very first pair I made turned out as wearable socks.

Can you look very carefully - stitch by stitch - at the first ?pair
to see what you did then, that you didn't do on the others?

I did go over stitch by stitch, hoping to see my mistake. And then DH
took his socks back and wore them to work so now they're in the laundry
and I AM NOT studying them till they're clean again!

The main problem seems to be that I can't get the heel turning
correct; the socks measure fine until the turning, then they become too
narrow through the instep. Any advice? Would making the heels wider
before turning solve it, or just make them too bulky at the heel?

Knitted socks are usually made wider at the heel by extending down
for the heel and then picking up along the sides of the extension
(which makes them very wide) and working in the round again, narrowing
slowly where the extra width was added, until they are the right size
for the foot. The same could be done with crocheted socks.

This is how my crochet pattern is worked except that there's a decrease
in each row that keeps it from chaning in size... OH! I need to add
width at this point...perhaps I should add an increase to the pattern?
Or not work the decrease? Shall try this....thanks for the mental
nudge!

Does the pattern have a place where it says to increase for the heel?

No, not really. Otherwise I'd just make more increases.

Another way to make a knitted heel is to knit short rows back and forth,
shorter every time (keeping the stitches no longer in use on holders)
and then going wider again, picking up the previously abandoned stitches.
This makes the usual heel you see on commercial socks.

Thank you, but I'm a hopeless knitter and just can't picture this.

To make matters worse, I've had four requests for socks as Christmas
presents!

They must have liked the first set you did!

Yeah....biggest mistake was showing them to anyone. When DH wears them
to work (whenever they're fresh from the dryer) he ALWAYS gets
comments. His are made from Patons Shetland Chunky and I'm trying just
worsted weight socks this time (and yes, the pattern I'm using does
call for worsted, so it's not mixed up here, and my gauge is fine).

=Tamar

Thank you!!
Michelle

Old October 18th 05, 03:27 AM
Katherine

Eastern Edge wrote:
I resemble that remark......

Did you get that little wrap sweater made for Jesika after?

I may have to try knitting these socks, I think.

Nope, I haven't made it yet. But I did five pumpkin hats during the past
week, and have now started a pumpkin sweater for Liam. I have two sweaters
to do for Jesika, plus one for Gaetan, so I will be busy, busy, busy.

Trust me, knitting socks is not that difficult! Someone as talented as you
are can do them easily!

Katherine

Old October 18th 05, 07:32 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I used to have a book that had a crocheted Boots, i will check if i
can find crocheted socks ,,,, must be some ,,,out THERE ..
mirjam

Old October 18th 05, 10:37 AM
Eastern Edge

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
I used to have a book that had a crocheted Boots, i will check if i
can find crocheted socks ,,,, must be some ,,,out THERE ..
mirjam

I've got two pattern books with crochet socks in them but the patterns
are all worked the same way; the differences are in the ankle cuff
pattern.

Thanks for looking, Mirjam.

Michelle