Question about TW kit

Old August 20th 04, 12:25 PM
JiminyCricket

A good place to start w/ TW designs would be some of her ornaments. I have 1
leaflet (http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/co.html) that has "fruit"
ornaments and "byzantine" ornaments. These should give you a good
introduction to some different stitches and to blending flosses. They're
nice and smallish (but not necessarily 'speedy') & you'll end up w/
ornaments for gifts or for yourself...
Susan

"Becky Andresen" wrote in message
I've never worked much with blends, so I'm not up to speed on the tricks

of
the trade. It makes sense to make them up ahead of time. And I get

really
sick of flipping back to check on a legend symbol that I just

checked...and
already forgot.

I've never used the highlighter system. I'll be starting a large project
soon, and so I might try that approach. I always could never be sure of
where I left off.

I browsed the website and really liked it. I have the pattern for the

Fruit
Bellpull in a book somewhere, but I never realized it was a TW design. I
might try that one when I get the time.

Thanks for the tips, Caryn!
Becky A.

"Caryn" skrev i melding

Like all needlework, they are just one stitch at a time.

I have found there are several things that help me do a TW without

pulling
out
my hair.

I organize all the blends before I pick up a needle. Some people use

bobbins,
others baggies, but I prefer to use strips of old manilla folders,

hole-punched
along one edge. I write the symbol and floss number(s) over the hole,

and
cut
and hang the appropriate floss from the hole. Thus my blends are ready,

the
symbol is handy (I get tired of looking at the legend all the time).

I have also found that working copies are mandatory. I even choose

which
highlighter color I use based on the color of the floss I just stitched

(pink
for all red, pink or skin tones; green for leaves, blue for stones,

greys,
etc
etc), this allows me to pick up a project that has been put aside for a

while
and be able to stitch it without studying the chart forever trying to

figure
out where I left off.

The TW Bulletin Board has some very nice, helpful people on it. There

are
stitchalongs for most of her projects, so you can ask questions specific

to a
project there.

You can access it via: www.twdesignworks.com, click on the bulletin

board
link.

Caryn

Old August 20th 04, 12:28 PM
JiminyCricket

Oh yeah... On the TW website there are links to specialty stitches
(http://www.twdesignworks.com/Resourc...specialty.html) and
miscellaneous tips (http://www.twdesignworks.com/Resources/Tips/misc.html)
AND links to websites (http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/stitches.html) where
you can see specialty stitches. The fruit ornaments are charted OVER ONE but
you can always do them on different fabric -- just be sure to do the math on
your different count fabric so that you start w/ a large enough piece ha ha
ha...

Old August 20th 04, 08:44 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"JiminyCricket" had some very interesting
things to say about Question about TW kit:

Oh yeah... On the TW website there are links to specialty stitches
(http://www.twdesignworks.com/Resourc...specialty.html) and
miscellaneous tips (http://www.twdesignworks.com/Resources/Tips/misc.html)
AND links to websites (http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/stitches.html) where
you can see specialty stitches. The fruit ornaments are charted OVER ONE but
you can always do them on different fabric -- just be sure to do the math on
your different count fabric so that you start w/ a large enough piece ha ha
ha...

Now I feel like a complete idiot, not thinking to check if TW herself
had a Web site. Thanks for the info!

Old August 21st 04, 05:21 PM
Darla

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:50:21 -0700, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

Darla had some very interesting things
to say about Question about TW kit:

I'm already dreading
what the back's going to look like, since there's a certain amount of
confetti in Guardian and those pesky blends that don't allow loop
starts [which to me are vastly tidier on the back than tails].

Once it's framed, who's going to see the back?

I get neurotic about it, mostly because of all the commentary in here
about how horrible it is if the back isn't as neat as the front.
Almost takes the fun out of it for me.

That's a very good reason not to obsess about the backs. This is
supposed to be relaxing, not an additional stressor.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old August 21st 04, 05:27 PM
Darla

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:34:34 +0200, "Becky Andresen"
wrote:

I know I'll have to learn the more advanced stitches before trying a TW
pattern.

Why? 95% of her designs are nothing more than cross stitches and
backstitches. Some have some eyelets. Some have some satin stitches.
All cross stitch is done one stitch at a time. There are no
shortcuts. "Linen is too hard" is also a myth. You are a human; you
have a brain and an imagination. Floss and fabric have neither. Do
you *really* want to be known as being easily intimidated by plant
products?