Fire Agate

Old August 15th 04, 08:08 AM
mikeg

Default Fire Agate

For purposes of a ring I want to have made, I'd like to purchase a
nice fire agate that would finish into a square stone about 9/16"
across.
A local gem store has some round stones for about $30, but I'd
like to pay more for a really nice example with no dead spots in
it.

I have no jewelry making skills.

Sources for such a stone would be appreciated.

If you wish to reply privately please strip the CLOTHES from my
address.

Mike

Old August 16th 04, 08:31 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:18:22 -0700, in |ô "mikeg"
wrote:

Anyone?

"mikeg" wrote in message
. ..
For purposes of a ring I want to have made, I'd like to purchase

nice fire agate that would finish into a square stone about

9/16"
across.
A local gem store has some round stones for about $30, but I'd
like to pay more for a really nice example with no dead spots in
it.

I have no jewelry making skills.

Sources for such a stone would be appreciated.

If you wish to reply privately please strip the CLOTHES from my
address.

Mike

You might expect this search to take some time, Mike. Fire agate in general
isn't a common mainstream stone, and few of the major gem dealers have much of
it. What one normally sees are average grade stones, with only a very few really
fine ones. In this regard, high grade fire agate is similar to other fine gems,
with the fine examples being much further apart than the common goods. But in
this case, you're asking for a gem that normally is more likely found in the
stocks of individual lapidaries and hobbyists, or the few unusual stone dealers
who've become sufficiently attracted to it to carry a stone for which there is
seldom much demand. As well, your request will be additionally difficult due to
your required square shape. Fire agate's "fire" lies in thin irregular surfaces
which usually follow a so-called botryoidal shape, that means interconnected
bumps and creases, rather than smooth even contours, the most colorful stones
are those where the cutter has shaped the surface to be barely above the active
layer within the stone, as any additional thickness of agate over that fire
layer, clouds and dims the colors. So most of the best fire agates have a
tendancy to be free form shaped, at least in terms of the top surface. Most of
them will also be free form, or at least, non calibrated sizes, in outline. I
have, for example, a number of calibrated fire agate ovals, but all of them are
averate to mediocre grades. My good to better ones are all non-standard ovals or
free forms, and I suspect most of them would suffer a decline in appearance were
they to be recut to anything other than what they now are. The cutters have to
follow the dictates of the material, rather than some desired finished outline,
for the best appearance. While you may find the stone you wish as a large stone
that could be cut down, it likely will be a shame to reduce the size in order to
get your square shape, and if the cutter is also required to make the top surface
equally uniform, you may risk totally destroying the fire in the stone...

You may also wish to ask this question on the Orchid mail list (reached via the
ganoksin.com web site). That mail list boasts over 5000 readers, and a fair
number of them have experience in lapidary work, or may know the type of dealer
you're looking for.

Peter Rowe
Old August 16th 04, 03:59 PM
mikeg

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in
message news
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:18:22 -0700, in |ô "mikeg"

wrote:

Anyone?

"mikeg" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

As expansive and informative a reply as I might possibly have
hoped for Peter. Thank you!

Mike

Old August 17th 04, 02:41 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You could try emailing the following site(below) as well as any others
you locate by 'googling'. Also, try networking with any local
Gem&Mineral clubs or visit any upcoming 'rockhound' or 'gem' type shows
in your area. There are online sources for the schedules or visit a
newstand/bookstore for the most recent Lapidary Journal to check the
classifieds as well as show schedule.

http://www.fireagate.com/

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old August 20th 04, 07:32 AM
mikeg

Thanks for the responses. A local jeweler's supply store tore
apart an estate ring to sell me the stone I had been lusting
after. It's a nice stone, but I'm sure they overcharged me a bit
($150). Just as they will now overcharge me a bit to hand craft
the ring to hold it :-)

Mike

Old August 29th 04, 06:29 AM
geemike

I know you've all been laying awake nights wondering how this
turned out, so I'll finish the story..........

I flew to Montana last Sunday for a work trip, and arrived 3 hours
earlier than I could check into my hotel. I had planned to rent
a bike and do some riding but the weather was rainy, so I had some
lunch and wondered what to do with myself.
Exiting the restaurant I saw a notice posted regarding a gem and
mineral show, taking place as I read.
So I heid myself over to Kalispell and found the show. It was a
pretty small show, but the first oneI had ever been to so my
interest level was high. Soon I came across the table of a
craftsman named Leon Agee, from Washington State. He had a ring
design that immediately grabbed my attention. Masculine enough,
with simple, classic lines that seemed just right for me. Some
parts polished, some parts finely stippled. We agreed to have
him do it in 14k.

Leon also had a few pieces of fire agate for me to choose from.

It just happened that another jeweler a few tables away had a
selection of fire agate as well, and I spent the next hour or so
comparing the stones trying to find one in the sub-$100 range that
would work for my vision of the ring.
One of the benefits of age (41 for me) is wisdom. In my case I
realized that an average stone wouldn't meet my expectations for
the piece. This is the first piece of jewelery I have ever
purchased for myself, so I wanted it to be something special that
I would treasure and wear instead of leaving on the nightstand.
So I selected the very best piece of fire agate from the sellers
tray, negotiated him down to a price that I was willing to
ay -$250 - and took the stone over to Leon Agee to take back to
his shop.
My ring will be done in a few weeks. I feel very fortunate come
across Leone at the show and can't wait to see his work arrive at
my doorstep.

Mike

Old September 11th 04, 04:15 AM
Rick Cook

What Peter said.

I'm currently working my way through about 20 pounds of fire agate rough I bought
at
a gem show. It is good quality stuff and has all been 'windowed' to show at least
little fire. However I'd say the chances of getting the quality and shape you
want
aren't very high -- not without a lot of waiting.

Fire agate is an excellent example of a material which is georgeous but so
idiosyncratic that there isn't much of a market in it. The quality is extremely
variable and the shape is highly irregular, which makes it just about impossible
for
production designs and difficult for custom work unless you let the stone suggest
the
design.

It's fascinating material, but dealing with it is a real treasure hunt.

--RC

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:18:22 -0700, in |ô "mikeg"
wrote:

Anyone?

. ..

OT - Fire Beadbimbo Beads 23 August 15th 04 12:52 AM
Swarovski Fire Opal!! Amanda Richards Beads 19 July 20th 04 05:10 AM
AD: Angel of Fire and other great new kits! Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 0 August 13th 03 04:53 AM