Happiness is

Old October 5th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Default OT Election thoughts (friendly) was Happiness is

Gill Murray wrote:

I know it is a no-no responding to my own post; however I remembered to

change the subject line, and forgot to mark it OT. maybe the mention of
stitching in the last paragraph makes it on-topic. LOL

Gillian
Old October 5th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Happiness is

Lucille wrote:
the women I worked for and with
didn't behave like teenage ingénues when they were speaking in front of a
crowd. Oh, I suppose I should add that they knew what they were talking
about as well.

Well, there's the difference. They knew their subject inside-out. And
they probably weren't just Beauty Queen Barbies, either.

This whole thing -- McCain thinking that anyone who voted for Hillary
will vote for anyone with the same plumbing, regardless of anything
else, and then adding insult to injury by picking someone who's clearly
gotten where she's gotten by openly flirting with the 75% of Alaska's
population which thinks with something other than their brain in the
presence of a pretty lady -- is pushing a lot of moderate women who
might have considered voting for McCain into the other column.

The other night, there was an interview with someone now living in the
local area who went to school with her, knows her birth family well, and
his opinion was that with the governorship, she had risen as far in
politics as she ever should (with undertones that even that might be
more than she's capable of).

I was an international relations major and *I* wouldn't want to debate
Joe Biden on foreign relations. So she certainly has my sympathy on that.

But she's got to realize that in the Lower 48, the male/female ratio is
50/50. She's not dealing with a supermajority of males, like she does
in Alaska. And the female half of the population are being quite vocal
about pointing out to our menfolk that she's all flash and no substance.
(Oh, and Brian points out that "she's not all that pretty, either" --
he figures she got to be runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant because
the competition was only two girls and a polar bear.)

Our last president got elected as "someone you'd like to have a beer
with" and she's trying to get there the same way. I don't think she'd
want to have a beer with me, though, because I'd give her a feminist
lecture, heavy on the "use competence, not sexuality, to get ahead". I
always figured the highest compliment my male co-workers paid me was
discussing guy stuff in front of me because they "forgot" I was a girl.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

OCTOBER IS DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 9/9/08 - Butterfly Drama (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
AOL BLOGS CLOSING OCTOBER 31
Old October 5th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Default Election thoughts (friendly) was Happiness is

"Gill Murray" wrote in message

Lucille wrote:

Come on Gill, admit that someone who has been around longer has a better
command of how things are run. You may not agree with their ideas, but
there is something to be said for years of experience.

I totally agree, which is why I can't see Obama as president just yet.
Switch the two guys, Obama and Biden, and we would be utilising years of
experience.

You and I know that we old Gows are full of wisdom and experience LOL; on
occasion overflowing with it.

Sheena I envy you Canadians for your system; it derives from the British
one, I assume.

However, the main difference is that you already HAVE a Head of
State...the Queen, or her Governor General or whatever she is now called.
This is the figurehead part of it. Then the PM is the political Party
animal, pushing through the wishes of the majority of the electorate. You
vote for your MP, and the Party selects their leader.

Here the two jobs are rolled into one, so I guess that is why everyone has
to have their say. I do wish elections and issues weren't smothered by
months and months of sound-bites, though! many of us read and study the
candidates and their policies, but they are milliions who don't get a
newspaper, don't look at the news on TV (for what it is worth), and just
go by hearsay and aforementioned sound-bites which they hear at work.

I still thing I need a little island, where I can be Queen...everyone has
built-in stitching time, some red wine and lots of chocolate!

When you get that island please make room for me. You can be Queen, I'll be
satisfied just to be a valued member of the court. Keep all the wine for
yourself, but make sure there's a pot of coffee available at all times, day
or night and I respectfully ask that the chocolate be for me too.

A comfortable bed and a place for our dogs to romp around and it sounds much
like heaven.

And make very sure there are no elections. As queen, you can appoint anyone
you like and if I don't agree I'll just poison their morning tea. Oops,
that would be a better job for Lucretia, wouldn't it????? lol

Old October 5th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Karen C in California" wrote in message
Lucille wrote:
the women I worked for and with didn't behave like teenage ingénues when
they were speaking in front of a crowd. Oh, I suppose I should add that
they knew what they were talking about as well.

Well, there's the difference. They knew their subject inside-out. And
they probably weren't just Beauty Queen Barbies, either.

My job was with a volunteer organization and actually the National Board
was mostly made up of very well-to-do women who were very attractive and
since they had lots of money to spend beautifully dressed. They also had
the (I know a lot of you will hate me for this statement) edge of coming
from the much more sophisticated New York Metropolitan area.

Old October 5th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

anne wrote:
Palin's mannerisms totally turned me off but I've asking myself if I'd accept
her style if she were spouting things I agreed with.

That's where the HS/college debate judge training comes in handy. Most
tournaments use "switch-side", i.e., in one round you're for and in the
other round you're against, so the judge doesn't know where you really
stand on the issue personally. (And, believe me, my teammates got the
biggest kick out of the day that I had to take the position that women
can't do "anything men can do". I actually had an audience for that one!)

The scoring is supposed to be solely on presentation, and there are 5 or
6 categories (which I don't recall off the top of my head) you're
supposed to rate the speaker on, like needlework being judged on
technique (even tension, ribbon not twisted) and not whether the judge
prefers angels to teddy bears.

As I said, if I'd been keeping a standard judge's score sheet on this,
she'd have to handle it with asbestos gloves. The mannerisms, the
constant repetition of memorized phrases, the insistence on ignoring the
questions she can't answer and changing the subject to the things she
does know about... I would've been writing non-stop during her answers!

She was not just in over her head in debating foreign policy with Joe
Biden, Resident Expert, she was in over her head in trying to debate at
all. I don't care if the subject was "field dressing a moose", which
she supposedly knows all about, her coach has a lot of work to do on her
style before she's even ready to hit the high school debate circuit.

Old October 5th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:

"Gill Murray" wrote in message

Bear in mind we are voting for the President, and hopefully the
vice-president will just be doing the normal VP chores.

President's have been assasinated in the past and/or dropped dead from a
health issue so it has to be at least a consideration. A small one, but an
existing one.

Given McCain's age and pre-existing health problems, I heard there's a
20% chance he would not finish his term. A small chance, true, but a
pretty substantial "small", as opposed to the less-than-1% that would be
expected with someone in his 40s.

Old October 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Sarah Palin--was Happiness is

Dawne Peterson wrote:
And you can be the same chronological age as someone while being a whole lot
younger and fresher in spirit.

Amen to that. My 80-year-old "boyfriend" was younger than my
45-year-old husband.

And I just got the greatest compliment a couple weeks ago. I was
talking on the phone to a new client, and she felt compelled to ask "you
sound so young ... how much experience do you have?" Quite reassured to
know that I've been in the legal field since she was in diapers.

Old October 5th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Karen C in California wrote:
Lucille wrote:
the women I worked for and with didn't behave like teenage ingénues
when they were speaking in front of a crowd. Oh, I suppose I should
add that they knew what they were talking about as well.

Well, there's the difference. They knew their subject inside-out. And
they probably weren't just Beauty Queen Barbies, either.
(snipped here)

I just read Maureen Dowd's column:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/op...=1&oref=slogin

Good points, I think. Folksy is one thing, but one can be folksy and
still be coherent! Her poor grammar drives me batty. It doesn't sound
folksy, it sounds ignorant. (One more "him and I", and I'm going to SCREAM!)

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old October 5th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

It is a pity people in the USA cannot view The Royal Canadian Air Farce.
The first show, 3 October, of what is their last season had a lovely take
off of McCain and Palin. Must have lasted about 4 minutes. Absolutely
proceless. Jim.

"Dawne Peterson" ) writes:
"Lucille" wrote
"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"Lucille" wrote

Was anyone but me insulted by her cutesy, folksy ways and her totally
ignoring Gwen Ifell as though she were a fly on the wall?

Having worked for an almost 100% women's organization I can say that
VERY few (that probably should read NONE) of the women I worked for and
with didn't behave like teenage ingénues when they were speaking in
front of a crowd. Oh, I suppose I should add that they knew what they
were talking about as well.

What astonished me was the newsclip of Mc Cain the next day, which
consisted of "Didya see Sarah Palin last night? How about that Sarah
Palin? Hah??How about her??HAH???" over and over. The cynicism of her
selection amazes me--let's get a woman and women will vote for her--and
McCain just seemed to be exuding that.

Dawne

Didn't he look exactly like a cartoon of an old geezer, which he is, when
he said that?

And before anyone gets angry with me for saying that, remember that I'm
the same age he is and surrounded by geezers.

You're right--that's what it was. An old geezer, especially those "HAaah"
noises.

Old October 5th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
It is a pity people in the USA cannot view The Royal Canadian Air Farce.
The first show, 3 October, of what is their last season had a lovely take
off of McCain and Palin. Must have lasted about 4 minutes. Absolutely
proceless. Jim.

We don't need that Jim, although from the reviews here I would love to be
able to see it. We have Tina Fey "doing" Palin on Saturday Night Live.
It's spot on and hilarious.