Altering sweaters

Old October 20th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Altering sweaters

Ok gang -the good news is that I'm continuing to lose weight. The bad news
is that some favorite sweaters are now way too big; one V-neck, one turtle
neck and one cardigan. The cardigan can be worn over things and is the
lowest priority. The other two are supposed to be the bottom layer or worn
alone.

So - do I just pass these favorites on or do I find some way to have them
altered. Both are silk blend knits and the color/textures are flattering.

Cheryl

Old October 20th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Ok gang -the good news is that I'm continuing to lose weight. The bad news
is that some favorite sweaters are now way too big; one V-neck, one turtle
neck and one cardigan. The cardigan can be worn over things and is the
lowest priority. The other two are supposed to be the bottom layer or worn
alone.

So - do I just pass these favorites on or do I find some way to have them
altered. Both are silk blend knits and the color/textures are flattering.

Cheryl

Other then wearing them with a belt over tight leg pants, or tights if you
like them, I can't think of much to do. I don't think alteration works
well on a knit, especially a silk knit that tends to be slippery

L.

Old October 20th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/20/08 9:14 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Ok gang -the good news is that I'm continuing to lose weight. The bad news
is that some favorite sweaters are now way too big; one V-neck, one turtle
neck and one cardigan. The cardigan can be worn over things and is the
lowest priority. The other two are supposed to be the bottom layer or worn
alone.

So - do I just pass these favorites on or do I find some way to have them
altered. Both are silk blend knits and the color/textures are flattering.

Cheryl

Other then wearing them with a belt over tight leg pants, or tights if you
like them, I can't think of much to do. I don't think alteration works
well on a knit, especially a silk knit that tends to be slippery

L.

If my lower half was trimming up as fast as the top half, I'd think about
it. Even if I could just take the shoulders in a little, it would be great.

Cheryl

Old October 20th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Ok gang -the good news is that I'm continuing to lose weight. The bad news
is that some favorite sweaters are now way too big ...snipped...
So - do I just pass these favorites on or do I find some way to have them
altered. Both are silk blend knits and the color/textures are flattering.

Cheryl

Pass them on because it's an absolute P.I.T.A. to try and alter ANY
sort of knit. You can take anything in a little bit but not much more
than about 1/2" along a side seam and you start to screw up the arm
hole. The only way you could possibly do it and have it fit OK --
assuming you need to take it in more than 1/2" on either side -- would
be to take the sleeves off and then recut the whole garment making the
shoulder seam a bit shorter, taking in the side seams and the sleeves
and then putting the whole thing back together.
I have shortened shoulder seams by taking a tuck or pleat in the
middle of it and then taking in the side seams. When clothes get too
big, you need to bring that arm hole up a bit so that the whole underarm
area fits properly. You could try to bring the arm hole up by running a
short basting stitch along the shoulder seam and then gathering it so
that the knit scrunches up but doesn't really gather. This will bring
the bottom of the arm hole area up into your armpit more so that it fits
better when you take in the under arm seam. Give it a try and let us
know if you are successful, OK? CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 20th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

I suggest you take them to a good dressmaker or tailor. They can be
altered, but unless you really know what you're doing it is probably
safest to have a professional do it. Good luck, and CONGRATULATIONS!
Old October 20th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

If my lower half was trimming up as fast as the top half, I'd think about
it. Even if I could just take the shoulders in a little, it would be great.

If it's just a shoulder problem, then:

1) Try some thin raglan shoulderpads in them. They'll also help balance
your silhouette a bit.

2) Or try pinning some fabric out of the shoulder seam, which will make the
neckline a bit smaller, too. If that works, just sew out the shoulder seam
a bit deeper. To salvage the turtleneck, you'll have to remove the collar
and recut the neckline, then reattach the collar. Or recut the collar fabric
into a slightly different style and reattach.

3) Or consider sewing some of the clear polyurethane elastic into the shoulder
seam, stretching while you're sewing. It'll give you some shirring.
Old October 20th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

Ok gang -the good news is that I'm continuing to lose weight. The bad news
is that some favorite sweaters are now way too big; one V-neck, one turtle
neck and one cardigan. The cardigan can be worn over things and is the
lowest priority. The other two are supposed to be the bottom layer or worn
alone.

The turtleneck will be the hardest to alter (if your neck size has changed),
but they both can be recut and resewn -- a serger would be especially
useful, but zigzag on a sewing machine works, too. If you use a sewing machine,
you might want to stabilize the seam with tissue paper, and don't use a
crowded stitch pattern, or you'll get wavy seams.

Kay

Old October 21st 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/20/08 9:42 AM, in article , "Tia
Mary" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Sigh - I love these sweaters, I hate to give them up. But I do like the new
slimmer me.

My sister wouldn't wear either of them either.

Cheryl

Old October 21st 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Mary" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

You promise you won't waste away befor next summer?? I still need my
really good friend to be huggable! LOL.
Old October 21st 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

invite a friend who can help , wear the sweaters inside out , and let
her put pins in the places that need taking in . Now bast those
places and try and wear it , if it sits well !!!!
open the basting line and Use your 4 step zigzag to sew 2cm outside
the pin line [=your future new slim seam;:::::] , after you
zigzaged each side , Sew the seam =pinned line !!! Cut off excess
parts , Congratulations with your NEW self and renewed sweater ,
mirjam

Altering a mens dress shirt Mike Sewing 2 February 20th 09 06:39 PM
sweaters with xst Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 March 11th 05 08:16 AM
Altering Sweater? TeeCee Yarn 6 February 27th 05 12:51 AM
"Little box of sweaters" Sorceress Yarn 7 May 24th 04 02:35 AM
Sweaters Karen in MN Yarn 3 January 22nd 04 06:25 AM