Quilting Books

Old February 14th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Quilting Books

I recieved a non-squishie today!!! I got 5 quilting books in the mail today:

1. The Quilter's Quick Reference Guide

2. Thimbleberries Big Book of Quilt Blocks

3. Fat Quarter Small Quilts

4. 24-Hour Quilts

5. Learn to Machine Quilt

I should have some fun ready for the next few days!!!
Old February 14th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've flipped through a few pages, and I can tell it is going to be a wonderful handy guide. Next I need to find a book on applique I think. Or at least a web page. I recieved in the mail today a bunch of hearts and circle type fabric pictures. I have no idea how you would quilt a circle!! lol

Cheryl
"Tina" wrote in message oups.com...
Cheryl, I LOVE my Quilter's Quick Reference Guide. I hate to say it,
but in the last year, I've probably turned to that book for advice,
more often than my Bible! It definitely is, a quilter's bible!

Enjoy!

Tina

Old February 15th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

quilt a circle? or piece a circle?

Kate in MI

PS -- what size circles?

Old February 15th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Roberta Zollner wrote:
Well Tina, I never saw any quilting advice in the Bible. It's all lilies of
the field in there!
Roberta in D

That sounds inspiring enough to want to make a quilt featuring Lillies
of the Field. Doesn't that count?? There's a lot of stories in there
that would make great quilts. Daniel and the lions, The Song of Songs,
the psalms- yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
the loaves and fishes suggest tessalations, Jonah and the whale, and oh
so much more! At one point, I wanted to make an iconic quilt of a
favorite saint. I still might.

-georg

Old February 15th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well sure, it's great for inspiration, but there's nothing about e.g. scant
quarter inch seams or how to prevent dye runs or the rocking stitch method!
Written by men who never wondered much where their clothes came from, no
doubt. :-)
Roberta in D

Old February 15th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Cheryl" wrote:

On some of the pieces I got, the lady took like picture of flowers and cut a
circle around them, so that the piece is now in a circle. And she did so, as
they can not be cut back into a square, without cutting off some of the
flowers which I dont want to do. I haventmeasured the circles but I am
thinking they are 6" in diameter or larger.
"Kate G." wrote in message
news:jq2dneuAvbb3t27enZ2dnUVZ ...
quilt a circle? or piece a circle?

Kate in MI

PS -- what size circles?

Cheryl, have you seen Sharon Schamber's book and CD called _Pieceliqué_?
She pieces all sorts of curves, including circles, with great success
using this technique. Her success is rather good, too, since she won
best of show in Houston this past fall.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old February 15th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes, there is room for a seam allowance, but its just something I probably wont get to any time soon.
"Jan" wrote in message . 125.201...
Is there enough room for a seam allowance?? Eleanor Burns has an
applique method which is fairl painless where you sew a lightwieght
fusible interface on the back (right sides together), cut a small cut in
the interface and turn it, then press it onto a background.....

Jan

"Cheryl" wrote in
:

On some of the pieces I got, the lady took like picture of flowers
and cut a circle around them, so that the piece is now in a circle.
And she did so, as they can not be cut back into a square, without
cutting off some of the flowers which I dont want to do. I
haventmeasured the circles but I am thinking they are 6" in diameter
or larger.
"Kate G." wrote in message
. .. quilt a circle?
or piece a circle?

Kate in MI

PS -- what size circles?

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Cheryl, I LOVE my Quilter's Quick Reference Guide. I hate to say
it, but in the last year, I've probably turned to that book for
advice, more often than my Bible! It definitely is, a quilter's
bible!

Enjoy!

Tina

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C63209.FF9D9650
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1528" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVFONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode" color=#800000On some of the
pieces I got, the lady took like  picture of flowers and cut a
circle around them, so that the piece is now in a circle. And she did
so, as they can not be cut back into a square, without cutting off
some of the flowers which I dont want to do. I haventmeasured the
circles but I am thinking they are 6" in diameter or
larger./FONT/DIV BLOCKQUOTE
style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
BORDER-LEFT: #800000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
DIV"Kate G." <A
"

/A> wrote in message A
href="news:jq2dneuAvbb3t27enZ2dnUVZ_tydnZ2d@comcas t.com"

/A.../DIVquilt a
circle?  or piece a circle?BRBRKate in MIBRBRPS -- what
size circles?BRBRBR"Cheryl" <A
/A> wrote in
message A
"news :xssIf.13$3V5.1200

@
news.uswest.net/A...BRI've flipped through a few pages, and I
can tell it is going to be a wonderful handy guide. Next I BRneed
to find a book on applique I think. Or at least a web page. I
recieved in the mail today a BRbunch of hearts and circle type
fabric pictures. I have no idea how you would quilt a circle!!
lolBRBRCherylBR"Tina" <A
/A>
wrote in message BRA
oglegroups.com"

new
s.com/A...BR

Che
ryl, I LOVE my Quilter's Quick Reference Guide.  I hate to say
it,BRbut in the last year, I've probably turned to that book for
advice,BRmore often than my Bible!  It definitely is, a
quilter's bible!BRBREnjoy!BRBRTina
BRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTE/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C63209.FF9D9650--

CRAFT ART BOOKS old books Marketplace 0 December 16th 05 07:56 PM
CRAFT ART BOOKS old books Marketplace 0 October 20th 05 09:08 AM
2 Days Left! eBay Quilting Books Auctions Nancy in Livermore, CA Marketplace 0 September 15th 04 12:05 AM
eBay Quilting Books Auctions Nancy in Livermore, CA Marketplace 1 September 15th 04 12:01 AM
Quilting Coloring Books David & Barbara Schmidt Quilting 5 August 11th 04 09:25 PM