Question for lampworks

Old May 3rd 05, 05:48 AM
Cindy Schoepp

Default Question for lampworks

I am wanting to buy a new press...the only one I have is the trio lentil
one...and I have been as much told that this is not the 'in' press. I want
to get the pillow one but suspect I will be in the same vote with that one.
So...I am thinking about the bead squeeze.

My real question is...the bead squeeze...is it easy to use...and which brand
of press do you prefer...so far I have only seen one supplier. Any help
would be appreciated...as these are fairly big investments.

Thanks in advance!
Cindy

Old May 3rd 05, 07:31 AM
Lori Greenberg

Hi Cindy.

I have to admit that I'm biased because I test tools for www.CattWalk.com
now. ) The Crunch (squeeze), as they call it, is very easy to use and
her site has a tutorial on it if you'd like to check out how easy it is to
use. I like their version because of it's thickness, 6.5mm. I have the
Corina one and it is only 5.1mm and it scared me that my beads would crack.

Also, if price is a consideration, consider that they provide free shipping
anywhere (and it's fast), and that makes their prices come out to be the
lowest. If you don't have a base, you do need that part but you can take
advantage of buying the base and the tool in one shot and it's only $20 more
and goes with any of their other presses.

I'm not sure what supplier you've seen. But the other 2 I know about are
Corinabeads.com and Zooziis and they both have a squeeze.

I personally like the presses without the pins because you don't have to try
and get the holes over the pins while you're trying to continue to rotate
your molten glass at the same time sot it doesn't go wonky before pressing.
I found myself having the problem of having my glass end up too cool to
press before I got the top on the base of the tool. Buy hey, that's just me
and other people do just fine. And maybe it's what I've gotten used to but
I find it easier to steady the tool along the back and side of the base to
press down than trying to fit a peg into a hole.

I'm sure other people will tell you what they like about the other suppliers
too.

Good luck...whatever tool you get, they're addicting!

--
--------------------------------------
Lori Greenberg

justbeads:
http://snipurl.com/axek

Old May 3rd 05, 07:59 AM
Dawn >^..^

I agree with Lori! I think the squeeze type press is by far the easiest to
use. Plus they make super comfortable beads with a great surface for
decorating. So I think the squeezed beads will be popular for a long time to
come.

--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"

Old May 3rd 05, 02:11 PM
JavaGirlBT

I prefer Zoozii's Kalera Long and Lean. It has a mandrel slot which will
help keep your mandrel in place when you press. I always had a problem with
the Bead Squeeze - when I pressed my mandrel would move, resulting in a
wonky bead.
-Ellen

Old May 3rd 05, 02:51 PM

I use Corina's Bead Squeeze. I love it, it is easy to use and I have
never had a bead crack. ANY press will stress the glass and make it
easier to get a thermal crack along the mandrel line. With any press
you use, be sure to put a little extra heat along the mandrel line
before you put it in the kiln.
Kimberly

Old May 3rd 05, 04:06 PM
Bead Carol

As a jewelry maker, I LOVE beads made with the following presses, in
order of preference:

Bead Squeeze
Lentils (large)
Pillow

These all make wonderful beads that lie flat, something I really like.

Carol in SLC

Old May 3rd 05, 06:16 PM
Polly S.

Bead Carol wrote:
As a jewelry maker, I LOVE beads made with the following presses, in
order of preference:

Bead Squeeze
Lentils (large)
Pillow

These all make wonderful beads that lie flat, something I really like.

OMTP

Round beads are beautiful, especially large round, but the smaller and
narrower they are the less the art can be seen. Not only do Squeeze(s?),
Lentils and Pillows beads lie well, the artist work, colors, design etc
can be 'seen'!

--
Polly

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old May 3rd 05, 06:36 PM
Kalera Stratton

I love my Squeeze! It's very easy to use, and the beads are
fantastically wearable. I prefer the Corina one for that particular
shape because it was her original design, but other than that I don't
have a strong preference for the other shapes; all the presses on the
market that I have seen are very well-made. You can use the ZooziiKalera
"extra long and lean" to get a "squeeze" like shape if you just make a
round bead and then press it without trying to get into the corners;
that's a nice option.

I have to laugh that someone told you that lentils aren't the "in"
press... it's a pretty classic shape. Not everyone has to be on the
cutting edge of bead shapes/styles, after all! I love the cutting-edge
stuff, but classic has a lot of appeal; look at Kandice, and at Tink's
"Osaka" beads! Good stuff. Beautiful beads done well are always "in".

http://www.beadwife.com
Old May 4th 05, 03:22 AM
Cindy Schoepp

I am really leaning toward the bead squeeze...are any of you experiencing
problems as the center is thinner on Corina's than others on the market?

Secondly...do any of you use a bead presses without a base...I am new
starting out and am trying to watch my budget...and with the Canadian $$, it
adds up ! I am torn right now between Catwalk which has a dual size and
Corina's (little worried as center is thinner).

Thank you so much for your help...and I appreciate to learn what the jewelry
makers like.

Cindy
ps.com...