The Happy Hooker/ long

Old March 18th 04, 02:43 AM

Default The Happy Hooker/ long

Here it is, mend it/fix it time again. This week's theme: 'A Stitch in
Time Saves Nine'.
I'm not sure what 'Nine' are referred to; it sure ain't nine minutes;
as you will see, this is self-explanatory.
The odd repair I describe today is the mend of a nice, thick fringed
rug. As well as illustrating how to repair a rug, this will demonstrate
why rug repairs are best left to the pros, and why repairs are
expensive.
I am not overly-fond of fringed rugs. They tend to be unruly. The
fringe fills up with assorted sewing/ life crumbs, and delays my dust
bunnies from their lemming-like trek to their home base under the sofa,
where they are easy to harvest en masse.
Cleaning the rug edge near the fringe is tricky. Daughter whipped one
section of fringe to a frothy frizz with the vacuum beater bars.
THE MEND:
Examine carpet edge, which consists of wrapped yarns, fringe woven
into them in crochet-type loops.
Decide they can be repaired. Might take 20 minutes, tops. if you are
following along with your own repair, go buy a crochet hook if you do
not own one. Copy each step within .
In the sewing stash, I locate a hook, which I gauge to be the proper
size. Back to living room. Rug is too heavy to lift onto my workroom
table; must work repair on the floor. Get cushion to sit on. Start
hooking.
Oops. Hook too small, can't load enough yarns onto for latching. Get
up, go to workroom. Find larger hook. Back to living room. If you are
following along, go buy a smaller hook.
Sit, hook, 'till tuckus paralysis sets in. Change position to
kneeling.
Hooking is going well, except knees are aching. Rug is heavier, too.
Change position to only one left: belly. Lying prone now, elbows up,
hooking madly. Can't see up close with eyeglasses on; remove glasses.
Hooking fast now, floor is quite cold. Can't lie on rug and still
hold the angle of the hook properly. Loops I am crocheting fringe into
suddenly get smaller, tighter. ^@!((*%!!
Back to workroom, get hook I started with, and large tapestry needle to
feed frazzled yarn through the tight spots. You go buy tapestry needle
if you don't own one.
Back on floor, work proceeding apace. Our three small dogs, excited by
my prone position, are thrilled that Mom is on the floor.
PLAY!PLAyplayplayplay!!! I nudge them off the fringe, wave the crochet
hook, command "NO NO!". Ever obedient, two of them walk up and down my
back...hmm...not bad...feels like an oriental massage. Hard to raise my
head, though, when the stroll across my scalp.
Third dog chews fringe. Hubby walks through room, says helpfully,
"Whatcha doin'?"
Dogs corralled. Hooking madly. Phone rings. Hubby finally answers it,
hands it to me, disappears. Can't hook and hold phone simultaneously.
Roll onto back. Client wants to schedule appointment. Raise arm, grope
on end table, locate pen. No paper. Write appt. time/date on back of
hand
Three hours later, finish hooking second side of rug. DIscoveries
made while hooking rug:
1) get new contact lenses;
2) call vet, pick up monthly flea medicine;
3) buy rug cleaner, fringe needs cleaning;
4) dust bunny breeding farm needs culling;
5) change clothes, which are covered in dust rug fibers;
6) might as well shower, shampoo dog prints from scalp;
7) appt date worn off of hand, call client and confirm time/date again;
8) call EMTS: can't get up off floor;
9) lay in stock of Tylenol, MotrIn...

Cea ; )

Old March 18th 04, 07:39 AM
BEI Design

wrote in message

Here it is, mend it/fix it time again. This week's theme: 'A

Stitch in
Time Saves Nine'.
I'm not sure what 'Nine' are referred to; it sure ain't nine

minutes;
as you will see, this is self-explanatory.

"...Saves Nine _Stitches_"! Which is what I'm in, reading your tale.

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

Old March 18th 04, 01:58 PM
Fabriholic

You crack me up! I hate fringed rugs. My current set is the last I buy
with fringe. I never thought to replace the fringe I just cut it to about
an inch long.

Thanks for the laugh this morning.
Trish

wrote in message

Here it is, mend it/fix it time again. This week's theme: 'A Stitch in
Time Saves Nine'.
I'm not sure what 'Nine' are referred to; it sure ain't nine minutes;
as you will see, this is self-explanatory.
The odd repair I describe today is the mend of a nice, thick fringed
rug. As well as illustrating how to repair a rug, this will demonstrate
why rug repairs are best left to the pros, and why repairs are
expensive.

SNIP