Hissy fit

Old November 12th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

Default Hissy fit

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
I have seen the expression "Hissy fit" used on several occasions on rctn.
Now, Australian Senator Steve Fielding has described a recent outburst by
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd as having one. So I thought I would come to the
experts to see what it means. This was in connection with "global
warming".

I have always taken it to mean something artificial, thrown by a female,
express annoyance at, or get the attention of, her male partner. Is this
correct? Jim.

Where I grew up the term hissy and hissy fit were often used but they were
probably imported from further south.
The reason I say further south is because *Hissy* = Young woman who squinted
her eyes, wrinkled up nose, shaking head and with clenched teeth spoke to
anyone else in a hissing (very rude) manner, like a hissing snake which was
considered much worse than a hissing cat. There were no snakes that hissed
where I lived. CTTOI I don't know of any snakes that hiss, soooo "not all
snakes acted like Hissii but all Hissii acted like snakes."

There were a few young women who often talked in that manner (probably came
from a large family with many brothers), so if a young woman imitated
another one of those young women and talked in the same rude manner, the
person they were talking to might say, "Don't be a Hissy!" It had nothing to
due with the *topic* of discussion. It was all about the *way* it was being
discussed.

If you were to tell me that you met Sally (known for being very rude) on the
way home from school. I might have responded by saying, "What is that Hissy
up to these days?" You might have responded by saying that ,"Sally tore her
dress today, was very mad and having a Hissy Fit." (outburst of anger not
directed to anyone in particular).

One of the ways a mother would deal with rudeness coming from her daughter
would be to tell her daughter not to be a Hissy because squinty eyes and
wrinkled nose would only make the daughter have more wrinkles all over her
face. That statement had no sciencintific data to back it up because there
were lots of older women with loads of wrinkles that were NEVER known to be
Hissii in their younger years, but it often worked.

Sometimes it was so successful that the Hissy graduated from being a Hissy
at age 14 to being a Bitch at age 20.g

Even that wasn't considered to be all that derogatory!!

I have met a few women that to refer to them as being Hissii or Bitches
would been giving them a compliment! LOL

Now y'all might not agree with me but don't have a Hissy Fit!!!

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Hissy fit Cheryl Isaak Needlework 10 November 11th 09 12:31 PM
My SM had a hissy fit Heather in WestOz Quilting 1 August 13th 08 04:33 PM