Got comments RE my fingerless mittens

Old February 22nd 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Got comments RE my fingerless mittens

Hi everyone,

I ended up with the day off yesterday, and got some things caught up.
I was out doing errands, and when stopped at 2 places, the ladies who
helped me commented on my fingerless mittens! I used scrap yarn to
make these up really quickly, just to have something to do and keep my
hands warm while leaving me access to use all fingers and thumb, and
both told me they thought they looked fantastic and functional. Both
asked where I got them, too, so I got to brag that they were made by
me just for me, totally custom. :-)

Leah
Old February 22nd 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Leah" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I ended up with the day off yesterday, and got some things caught up.
I was out doing errands, and when stopped at 2 places, the ladies who
helped me commented on my fingerless mittens! I used scrap yarn to
make these up really quickly, just to have something to do and keep my
hands warm while leaving me access to use all fingers and thumb, and
both told me they thought they looked fantastic and functional. Both
asked where I got them, too, so I got to brag that they were made by
me just for me, totally custom. :-)

Leah

) That's always nice to hear nice things said about what you make.

So are they knit or crocheted? And did you make them up as you went along,
or did you find a pattern for them online (she asked hopefully)? ;o)

I have seen some recently (but have looked as so many pages, that I can't
remember which URL it is) that were SO easy to do... basically one flat
piece that was sewn where needed to join, leaving the openings for fingers
and thumb. Others are more complicated (to me) because they are done with
double-pointed or circulars, which I can't use at all.

Gemini

Old February 22nd 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Leah - it is good to be able to brag a bit sometimes and I am sure your
mittens deserved it - I am always amazed that there are not more mittens
knitted as they are so functional God Bless Gwen

Old February 22nd 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:02:07 -0500, "MRH"
mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote:

So are they knit or crocheted? And did you make them up as you went along,
or did you find a pattern for them online (she asked hopefully)? ;o)

They are crocheted, and I made them up as I went along since I
couldn't find a pattern I liked online or in my extensive box of
pattern books and magazines. I jotted rough notes on what I did so I
could fit the second mitten, but I don't know if they'd fit anyone
else. Maybe I should make a pair for a friend and see if she likes
them?

I have seen some recently (but have looked as so many pages, that I can't
remember which URL it is) that were SO easy to do... basically one flat
piece that was sewn where needed to join, leaving the openings for fingers
and thumb. Others are more complicated (to me) because they are done with
double-pointed or circulars, which I can't use at all.

I considered knitting them, but I wanted these extra thick and warm,
since I wasn't using wool, so I crocheted them rather than knitted.
I've done them knitted in the past, and I also like the flat method,
but I found I prefer not to have a seam in the ribbing, so I've also
knitted them flat body, sewed the side seam, and then picked up and
knit the ribbing in the round afterwards since I also picked up and
knit the thumb in the round since I don't like just a hole for the
thumb. They wear out faster on me if I don't do at least 3-4 rounds
of thumb, but I don't totally enclose the thumb like a fully closed
mitten and lose flexibility.

Leah
Old February 22nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Cool, thank you for the run-down on what you did. I was thinking something
along the same lines. Or if I did make flat ones and joined the seam, I
could always crochet the cuff and around the thumb area too. ;o)

Gemini

Old February 23rd 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Leah wrote:
Hi everyone,

I ended up with the day off yesterday, and got some things caught up.
I was out doing errands, and when stopped at 2 places, the ladies who
helped me commented on my fingerless mittens! I used scrap yarn to
make these up really quickly, just to have something to do and keep my
hands warm while leaving me access to use all fingers and thumb, and
both told me they thought they looked fantastic and functional. Both
asked where I got them, too, so I got to brag that they were made by
me just for me, totally custom. :-)

I'll bet you felt fabulous!

Higs,
Katherine

Old February 23rd 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Leah,

It's great to hear that someone loves your handmade mittens. I've a
couple of patterns in my files, but haven't made any yet.

Hugs,

Nora

Old February 23rd 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Leah , maybe you could make some pairs , have them in your bag and
sell them , when people admire yours ?
mirjam

That is a very good idea, Mirjam! )

Gemini

Old February 24th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Leah i once saw a fingerless mitt with a folded little pocket held
with buttons over it , lady usd it to cover finger when she didn`t use
them ,, any way by all means try to sele part of your works ,,,
mirjam

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 04:37:40 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Leah , maybe you could make some pairs , have them in your bag and
sell them , when people admire yours ?

Mirjam

That's a good idea! Maybe I should make 1 smaller, a couple the same,
and 1 larger size, too. I really should organize my notes and write
up my pattern on these. I've been wearing them, and I like having
full finger movement. I had planned on eventually putting partial
fingers on them to make fingerless gloves, but after wearing them,
decided I didn't need them. Working in worsted weight yarn, even
partial fingers would be a little thick.

Leah

Two Mittens Sussi Yarn 12 October 26th 05 11:44 AM
OT - Comments on your websites Arondelle Beads 0 April 7th 05 04:53 PM
Winter Sophistication Mittens LLWeisse Yarn 6 June 19th 04 02:24 AM
New front page - comments welcomed R General Crafting 0 December 18th 03 07:30 PM