big cities vs. small towns

Old June 2nd 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Paul WIlson

Default big cities vs. small towns

Folks,
I was struck with something at the last wholesale show in Baltimore. I got
to talking to some old time jewelry people who said that in smaller towns
you can go right in to shops and galleries and talk to the owner/buyer and
show them your stuff and "make the ask" -- see if you can get your stuff in
their shop.

In large cities however such as NY and Chicago, they say that's impossible.
No matter how small the shop, big city buyers insist that they come to you.
"You'd be lucky to get out of there with any dignity." One woman said. One
guy said he went around the country hawking his wares, but only had bad
experiences in NYC. "I remember one gallery. I just wanted five minutes at
a time when there were no customers. I couldn't even get my case open." No
problem in smaller towns.

One guy said that big city buyers make all their purchases for the year at
their favorite wholesale shows. It's their chance to get out and stay in a
nice hotel and be a conventioneer, so you're screwing it up for them if you
go to them. The implication is that if you're not at one of those wholesale
shows, you don't get in those galleries. Everyone has a theory...

Any observations?

PW

Old June 4th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Paul WIlson wrote:
[...]

I guess im an old time jewellery person so been there and done all of that.
I could give you lots of observations, but where to start?
Are you a designer?
Are you a maker?
The first thing to remember is your on your own.
How you succeed or fail depends on you.
youll need all sorts of skills if your going to break into the
jewellery marketing world,
if you dont have them you wont succeed.
Selling your product is quite different to the designing and making part
of the whole process .
Big city retailers tend to follow fashion, which is highlighted at the
trade shows. After all there competing with other big city retailers.
they have a differnt type of customer than a small town outlet..
Ill leave you to work out the difference between them.

You have to analyse very carefully how you plan to operate.
That means knowing your skills and your weaknesses.

If your not shure of these or cant visualise them , ask someone who
can.then you can plan your time & effort accordingly.

Ill give you my own case as a starter.
In the first instance
I had a through aviation engineering training.
I left that area of work and spent 11 years in corporate sales and
marketing .
I outgrew that and had to decide what I wanted to do with my life.
Id been exposed to the Applied art world as a child,
my parents were serious followers of European art, They lived in
Prague througout the 1930's.
they were not wealthy but knew what was good and bought well. but in
particular loved the works of Peter Carl Faberge.
His enamelling work was there for me to read in lots of books my parents
had around their house. It captured my imagination as a child.
So I chose the relatively demanding field of vitreous enamelling.
As my introduction into the applied art world.
I had the technical grounding to transfer to fine metalwork, and the
salesand marketing skills.
Initially, after developing a product range I tried to market like
maybe yourself to the "Trade".
I found that very unrewarding and frustrating, so decided to control
the whole operation, ie the design, the making and most importantly the
marketing of my work direct to the customer. No shops no galleries etc..
From that moment Ive never sold to any trade buyer or gallery, despite
being asked to do so!!. Within 2 years I was working with one of the
leading London goldsmiths on joint enamelling projects.
that approach to this craft was a long time ago and hasnt failed me since.#
theres been alot of water under the bridge since 1968, some 39 yrears
and I guess im just about to understand a little of that applied art world.
Making beautiful things is a passion,
if youve got it in you it will show in your work.
then the product with your support will speak for itself..

Take comfort from the fact that there allways will be folk that want
unique hand made craft products that reflect them as unique people.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do and how you choose to do it.
Ted Frater
Dorset UK.

Beach Cities Quilt Show Debbi Quilting 1 June 4th 06 04:44 AM
Beach Cities Quilter's Guild Quilt Show Debbi Quilting 1 May 20th 06 02:07 AM
OT Small Towns, Rural areas and cities Dr. Sooz Beads 0 April 2nd 04 11:07 PM
Twin Cities Shop Hop NeedleworkNutz Needlework 0 September 25th 03 03:34 PM