Best fabric for (homemade) buffing wheels?

Old October 10th 05, 01:32 AM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

http://www.desiredcreations.com/howT...emelPolish.htm

wrote:

Can anyone suggest what sort of fabric to use for a homemade buffing
wheel for my tiny little Craftsman rotary tool? I've made one from
some cotton fabric -- left over from hubby's pajamas -- and it (kinda)
works, but it has lost much of its coherence quite quickly. I've read
that denim or flannel might be better? Anyone know? And has anyone
here made their own wheels?

If it helps, I'm hoping for a nice glossy finish, on Kato clay.

Thanks!

Old October 11th 05, 03:50 PM
Greg Krynen

"Kim" wrote in message
t...
wrote in message

crna_ofca wrote:

could you show me a photos of your wheel? i cant even imagine how to
make it, and my beads desperatly need some shine.

I just put about six little circles of fabric into a stack, and stitched
a small circle around the center to anchor them togehter. Then made a
tiny hole to thread it onto the mandrel of my rotary tool. Nothing
special, nothing fancy. It was pretty much like the muslin wheels in
the catalogs I've seen.

I'd buy one, by the way, but can't find any that look as though they'd
fit my tool, and don't know anyplace that sells them locally, so that I
could take the mandrel in with me to check fit.

Hi:

I bought the muslin wheel from Wal-Mart for my Dremel tool. It works "OK"
and the only reason I am not totally satisfied is I think it's stiffer
than
I need it to be. So, my idea was to remove the first (outer-most) row of
stitching on the wheel to see if it would loosen up.

Also, I tried the polishing compound that comes with the Dremel polishing
kit. I think this may work, but the pieces I was trying the wheel out on
the first time were a custom mixed blue (extremely light blue) and the
first
touch of the rouge (the polishing compound) instantly put tiny red streaks
embedded into the finish (acrylic). Interesting, but I wasn't looking for
that to happen.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a polishing compound that is light blue
and meant for plastics. Red rouge is made for metals such as silver,gold,
brass, etc.

Greg Krynen
www.krynen.com - my home site with forums for different crafts
www.PurpleDragonGifts.com - my business selling jewelry and small art.

Old October 11th 05, 03:51 PM
Greg Krynen

"glumone" wrote in message
Thank you. (And I'm glad I am not the only one making these...)

I read on Glassattic.com that one shouldn't use wool felt, but not why.
Does anyone have any idea why this would be? (I've got some wool roving
that I accidentally felted while dyeing, so thought it would be a good use
for it...)

Thanks

Carla wrote:
I made my own, too, using a felt square I bought from a local craft
store. I can use one wheel for about 50-60 beads, then when it gets
really fuzzy around the edges, I make another one. It works like a
charm. This is, of course, after the beads have been sanded with three
or four different grits of sandpaper.

Since I keep the beads on pins while I'm sanding/buffing, the ends around
the holes don't get the same kind of treatment. But just a few seconds
of buffing against my jeans will take care of those spots.

Cheers,
Carla

wrote:

crna_ofca wrote:

could you show me a photos of your wheel? i cant even imagine how to
make it, and my beads desperatly need some shine.

I just put about six little circles of fabric into a stack, and stitched
a small circle around the center to anchor them togehter. Then made a
tiny hole to thread it onto the mandrel of my rotary tool. Nothing
special, nothing fancy. It was pretty much like the muslin wheels in
the catalogs I've seen.

I'd buy one, by the way, but can't find any that look as though they'd
fit my tool, and don't know anyplace that sells them locally, so that I
could take the mandrel in with me to check fit.

A real good reason would be static electricity build up. Wool against PVC or
most other plastics will build an incredible electrical charge and then
release it without warning, I am talking more than you get from an average
carpet to wallplate charge.