fire large pieces

Old September 28th 05, 08:27 PM
ksmeltzer

Default fire large pieces

Hello all,

This is my first post to this group and I am looking for a little help.
I am new to polymer clay but have done 3 dimensional arts in wood
carving, clay sculpting and computer graphics for a while. Anyway, I
own a company that does home restorations and themes in which we build
a lot of custom accents. Currently I am working with a client that
wants to do a Celtic theme in one of their rooms and wants Celtic
knot-work pillars that resemble the ones that adorn the pillar in the
village of Edoras in the movie Lord of the Rings (here is an image
http://www.lordoftherings.net/legend...as/edoras5.jpg).
Normally, I would carve these from wood but it requires several pillars
and the work is very intricate not to mention the leafing that will be
required to get the gold tones. So, I started thinking about using
standard pillars and wrapping them with some form of surfaces that
could mimic the look I am looking for yet save time over hand carving
all of this detail. My friend suggested that I check out polymer clay
and so here I am. I pretty much have conceived of how I can accomplish
this with clay and I am experienced with traditional clay, but I need
to try and clarify a few things. So here are my questions:

1. How am I going to fire large cylindrical pieces of polymer clay that
wrap around pillars? Can I torch fire it or heat gun fire it on the
pillar?

2. In Polymer clay how do I get an antiqued gold look? As well they may
go with an antique pewter look. Can I leaf it like I would do wood or
is there a better way with PC, that will be more durable than leafing?

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I would greatly appreciate
it.

Old September 28th 05, 09:32 PM
Jackdaw

"ksmeltzer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

This is my first post to this group and I am looking for a little help.
I am new to polymer clay but have done 3 dimensional arts in wood
carving, clay sculpting and computer graphics for a while. Anyway, I
own a company that does home restorations and themes in which we build
a lot of custom accents. Currently I am working with a client that
wants to do a Celtic theme in one of their rooms and wants Celtic
knot-work pillars that resemble the ones that adorn the pillar in the
village of Edoras in the movie Lord of the Rings (here is an image
http://www.lordoftherings.net/legend...as/edoras5.jpg).

EEp! You don't want much do you!! I had a look at the picture and
suggest.......
{ 1 } Find out who built the set ( Must be in the credits of the film.) and
ask them
{ 2 }Perhaps a simple wood pillar,( or roughly carved wood pillar, covered
in plaster or glue gesso then carved back. Or wooden pillar, covered in one
layer of surgical plaster cloth to build up, bulk up the design in moulded
plaster cloth, then refine using plaster and carving over that.
( 3 }For permanence, might then be cast in fibreglass resin.
Good luck

--
Jackdaw collector of junk, trivia and bright twinkly things.
Foiled on http://www.jackdaw-crafts.net

Old September 29th 05, 02:15 AM
ksmeltzer

I thought about contacting them but then my friend who gave me the
recommendation and who is in set design mentioned two thing 1. The
person probably did most of the work on all three movies and is
probably inundated with correspondence request like mine about all of
the sets and 2. They probably did the design in formed foam to save
money and expedite the process which will not suffice for my
application. I guess I could give it a try but I think it would be a
long shot getting an answer.

As for the surgical plaster I never though of that, That would
eliminate the firing problem that I will confront and again I could
leaf it and then put a urethane sealant over it for durability. Would
there be any advantage to using that over say fiberglass cloth cut back
and carved? I thought of that but figured a clay would be less time
consuming than trying to get the curved nature of those pillars
accomplished in fiberglass cloth.

Old September 29th 05, 06:42 AM
Robert Houghtaling

ksmeltzer wrote:
[...]

Post your question on alt.sculpture
Old September 29th 05, 12:37 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

I know that when Lisa Pavelka covered her car in polymer clay pieces,
she used a heat gun to cure the clay. She said it took forever.

I agree, plaster or even air-dry clay may be a better option for you.

----------
Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay & Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Nurturing doesn't end at birth: breastfeed, co-sleep, babywear.

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
(Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com. Shopping carts, blogs, image galleries, content management and more!

Old September 30th 05, 11:25 AM
crna_ofca

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message
I know that when Lisa Pavelka covered her car in polymer clay pieces,
she used a heat gun to cure the clay. She said it took forever.

I agree, plaster or even air-dry clay may be a better option for you.

omg, do we have photos of that car?? i want to seeeeeeeeeee! omg omg she
covered car. im shocked. i want to cover my car.

Old September 30th 05, 03:40 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

http://heartinhandstudio.com/news1.htm

----------

crna_ofca wrote:

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message

I know that when Lisa Pavelka covered her car in polymer clay pieces,
she used a heat gun to cure the clay. She said it took forever.

I agree, plaster or even air-dry clay may be a better option for you.

omg, do we have photos of that car?? i want to seeeeeeeeeee! omg omg she
covered car. im shocked. i want to cover my car.

Polishing Large Pieces of Bulk Glass [email protected] Glass 4 July 19th 05 04:59 AM
number of facets m4816k Jewelry 7 March 26th 05 09:59 PM
AD:New Geode Slices! New BeJeweled Designer Pieces! Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 7 May 26th 04 03:25 AM
AD:New Geode Slices! New BeJeweled Designer Pieces! Karleen/Vibrant Jewels General Crafting 2 May 25th 04 03:02 PM
How to Display Fused Glass Pieces on a Wall Jeff or Lori Hultman Glass 3 February 14th 04 09:23 PM