Snap Fasteners

Old July 10th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
al8dan

Default Snap Fasteners

I am making several quilted denim covers to go over old comforters for
the local dogs home.
The ends are open to allow for replacement of the comforter and for
washing.
Where can I get snaps that don't get sewed on but heavy duty ones that
go through and anchor "in" the fabric?

I need them to be durable but not too expensive. I am hoping the ones
that don't need sewing will be a wee more durable for the dogs.

Thanks
Julie

Old July 10th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Over here in UK they come on a strip of tape which is sewn on!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
ups.com...

Old July 10th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Brilliant idea, Estelle. Pounding snaps through a double layer (or more) of
denim would be a might hard task. I was going to suggest plain old buttons
or velcro but a taped stripe would do the deed just fine. Polly

"Estelle Gallagher" wrote in message
Over here in UK they come on a strip of tape which is sewn on!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
ups.com...

Old July 11th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

This gadget will apply what you are describing:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/produc...286/16286.html

You should be able to obtain this or a a similar item in a fabric
store near you.
Old July 11th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Mary in Rock Island IL wrote:

This gadget will apply what you are describing:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/produc...286/16286.html

You should be able to obtain this or a a similar item in a fabric
store near you.

I have this gadget and it does work but not easily! If you are going
to use it on several layers of fabric or on heavy fabric, and you're not
a weight lifter, you might need to have a man handy to get the thing to
work properly. If DH isn't around to help set the snaps, I get them set
as near as possible then whack the livin' bejeezes out of the partially
set snap to get the prongs to bend into the fastener properly.
I also have some of the snap that is set onto twill tape. The only
problem with that is the snaps are a bit small IMNSHO for use on
something like a dog bed. I'm agree with the others who have
recommended velcro stuff. It can be sewn on by machine and would hold
nicely. I'd probably use regular strip velcro and cut nice long pieces.
The Velcro buttons might not be long enough. I've used both on
pillows that get used a lot and the small buttons don't hold too well.
The larger buttons are a lot better but the pieces I have cut myself
from long strips of velcro work the best -- probably because there is
more surface area to hold together. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

--
ÐÏࡱá
Old July 12th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I have one of these also and it just sits in my drawer. I prefer to set the
snaps the old fashioned way.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old July 12th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna Aten[_2_]

Check out http://www.snapsource.com/ - I hate the old plier type snap
applicators, but really like snap source.

Also, I just found out from the Yahoo Lazy Girls group that there is a new
Velcro product called Velcro Fusion. It's iron on, but you better put it
where you want it, 'cause you can't remove it. :-)

NAYY,
--
Donna in Idaho

frog fasteners jils General Crafting 0 September 17th 05 08:43 AM
FS Sterling Silver Snap Hoop Earrings From The Marrakesh Collection by Zina [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 2nd 05 02:36 PM
Q-Snap sit-on or lap frame suggestions needed Kathy Tabb Needlework 3 January 24th 05 04:46 PM
Snap tape Karen Maslowski Sewing 49 October 3rd 04 01:58 PM
Prym snap fastener directions Kate Sewing 0 February 22nd 04 02:15 AM