How can I polish a chain?

Old December 2nd 04, 02:47 AM
JMWEBER987

do have a 6" grinder, which I think can be reversed, so I'll look at that
(but not for chains)...

If your talking about reversing the rotational direction of the grinder, you
don't need to. It should rotate the correct direction already. Converting a
grinder to a buffer is quite easy to do. I have converted several grinders to
buffers. You take off the outer covers and tool rests, remove the stones and
the inner covers. That leaves just the motor with shafts protruding out each
end. IIRC most inexpensive grinders have a 1/2 inch shaft. You can purchase a
left and right spindle at Rio Grande or other supply house. A pad on each
end, some brown and red rouge and you have a very adequate buffereven if it's
not a Baldor. Of course it has no dust collection so you will want to use this
somewhere besides your bench. Buffing is VERY DIRTY work as well as being
potentially dangerous and if your not careful you can buff details right off of
your work.
Mike in Arkansas
Old December 3rd 04, 05:34 AM
-SP-

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in message

On the down side, some chains can have a
nasty habit of trapping small pins inside hollow areas or the inner
structure of the
chain (hollow rope chains and some other such dimensional types can do
this), so then
you have to spend a bunch of time picking the shot or pins out from inside
the spaces in
the chain.

Lol! Tell me about it...! Gate bracelets are prone, so are padlock
fasteners and box-snaps too.

-SP-

cheers

Peter

Old December 24th 04, 02:15 AM
KG

"Mike Dodds" wrote in message
I'm very much a beginner in silversmithing. I think to practice soldering

will make a chain. The book I have suggests using steel shot to debur teh
links before soldering and using a tumbler with the same shot to polish

the
finished chain. I've got enough to buy without the expense of a tumbler,

so
I'd like to hear about alternative methods. I assume I can debur the liks
with a needle file, but how do I polish a fished chain?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

You've gotten some good advice, but I wanted to add 2 things to it:

1. If you go to your local toy or craft store, you can pick up a perfectly
serviceable small tumbler for $19 (assuming you're in the U.S.). They are
called the "Rolling Stones Rock Tumbler" and come with an assortment of
rough rocks, polishing power, findings, etc., none of which you'll likely
need. But the little tumbler is just fine for getting started with what you
need. That, and a 1-lb bag of stainless steel mixed-shape shot (about $20,
orderable from Rio or T.B. Hagstoz) is all you need. Put the shot and chain
in the tumbler with enough water to cover them, add 1 drop of dish soap (I
use Dawn), and turn it on. Leave on from an hour (for a good basic job) or
overnight for a high polished shine. You can always take it out, rinse it
off, and put it back in if you want.

2. One of the main advantages of a tumble with shot, in my book, is that
you not only get a nice shine, but the links are all evenly work-hardened.
Those links got annealed when you soldered them, so your task is to harden
them again. Tumbling with steel is the same as hammering them with a
planishing hammer in that regard. Once well tumbled, they won't distort out
of place when pulled or bumped during wear. You will literally HEAR the
difference in a chain that has been well hardened in the tumbler vs. one
that has been "soft" polished without hardening.

It's great to know how to hand-polish, and there are times when it will
definitely be the most appropriate way to finish your chain. But keep in
mind the need to work-harden some types of links for increased durability,
as well.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Karen

Old December 25th 04, 08:35 PM
KG

seal, and allow to sit on the seal for
a few minutes.
Fry the rolls:
325° if using egg roll wraps, 350° for spring roll wraps.
Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Lemon Neonate

Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a
well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into
cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human,
although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly
different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its
10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates)
2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible)
Olive oil
Green onions
Salt
pepper
cornstarch
neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine)
garlic
parsley
fresh cracked black pepper

Season and sauté the cutlets in olive oil till golden brown, remove.
Add the garlic and onions and cook down a bit.
Add some lemon juice and some zest, then de-glaze with stock.
Add a little cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) to the sauce.
You are just about there, Pour the sauce over the cutlets,
top with parsley, lemon slices and cracked pepper.
Serve with spinach salad, macaroni and cheese (homemade) and iced tea...

Spaghetti with Real Italian Meatballs

If you don?t have an expendable bambino on hand,
you can use a pound of ground pork instead.
The secret to great meatballs, is to use very lean meat.

1 lb. ground flesh; human or pork
3 lb. ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onions
7 - 12 cloves garlic
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Old December 27th 04, 02:53 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "KG"
:

]You've gotten some good advice, but I wanted to add 2 things to it:
]
[...]

such good advice it deserves repeating!
i LOVE my tumblers!

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
Old December 28th 04, 05:46 AM
Beth & Doug Dover

The tumbling for polish is a great method, but the rolling stones tumbler is
a piece of junk!!!!! I recommend checking out Harbor Freight for a small,
quality tumbler for about $20.00 that is a long term unit. Doug

Old December 30th 04, 07:37 AM
m3rma1d

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "KG"

] a 1-lb bag of stainless steel mixed-shape shot (about $20,
]orderable from Rio or T.B. Hagstoz)

GAH--I'm floored!!!
Do people really charge (and pay) that much? There's a jewelry supply
locally I visit (far too often) J.S. Ritter's here in Portland, Maine, and
they have 1 pound bags for $6.something, 5 pound bags for $33.something. If
anyone wants, I'll hook 'em up if they wanna pay shipping or whatever. (I'm
not looking to profit, just to help out)

I'm trying to figure out how to use my UltraVibe 5 for my chains.... I
begged my boyfriend to get it for me like, 2 months ago, and there it has
sat ever since--D'OH!
Well dammit, I'm too neurotic :-o
I have 4 pounds of mixed shape steel shot.. but do I need more? I'm mean, I
can't figure out if I need to kinda.. fill up the whole entire bowl? Do I
have to measure how much soap and water I use? And how long will I have to
let it run, do I have to time that?

I'm ascared...

-- m3rma1d
--
www.creativespill.com
To reply in email, remove my panties.

Old December 30th 04, 08:00 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "m3rma1d"
:

]I have 4 pounds of mixed shape steel shot.. but do I need more? I'm mean, I
]can't figure out if I need to kinda.. fill up the whole entire bowl? Do I
]have to measure how much soap and water I use? And how long will I have to
]let it run, do I have to time that?

four pounds should be MORE than enough!
how much weight does your tumbler hold?

just enough water to cover everything.
only a few drops of soap.

and run it with only the shot in it the first time, to clean it.

if all you're doing is hardening the chain and cleaning it, a
half-hour to an hour should be more than enough.

Old December 30th 04, 09:14 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "m3rma1d"
:

]Do people really charge (and pay) that much? There's a jewelry supply
]locally I visit (far too often) J.S. Ritter's here in Portland, Maine, and
]they have 1 pound bags for $6.something, 5 pound bags for $33.something. If
]anyone wants, I'll hook 'em up if they wanna pay shipping or whatever. (I'm
]not looking to profit, just to help out)

they do, indeed. and it's the shipping that's the killer on that
stuff. we just ordered some from Rio. in a bunch of different sizes
and shapes. we're going to be making our own!

Old December 30th 04, 09:32 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 07:37:32 GMT, in rec.crafts.jewelry "m3rma1d"
wrote:

GAH--I'm floored!!!
Do people really charge (and pay) that much?

Perhaps you missed the point that that price was for stainless steel shot. That
stuff does cost that much, in contrast to the much cheaper carbon steel shot you
may be used to. Stainless has the advantage of not needing all the careful
storage and conditioning required to prevent the shot from rusting, and is well
suited especially, to those who may not be running their tumblers all the time.
Stainless shot is also slightly denser/heavier, so it sometimes works slightly
faster.

Peter