OT Weather

Old May 15th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

Default OT Weather

KATE,
Thinking good thoughts for you and Polly. DS2 lives in Ft. Walton so
guess they are next in line. Amazing difference in weather in areas
of Fl.
Sad part (or irrating and anger producing)about the fires is that they
are arson. One sick person or more.
We definitely don't need to mow, in fact will probably have to start
over, all is dead because we choose not to use the water.
Anna Belle

On Thu, 15 May 2008 08:16:06 -0700 (PDT), "Kate T."
wrote:

Hey anna belle

I'm trying to push the storms your way. I don't need anymore of
this. Rain was coming down so fast and hard you couldn't see past the
post on the carport.

Every cat in the neighborhood is on my back porch. There is at least
a dozen "strangers" seeking shelter.

Tornado watch Number 326 is on right now. I was finally able to get a
couple hours sleep, then the high winds of over 60 m.p.h. started, the
alert radio started continuously updating, one alert right after
another.

Miss Polly is going to get it any time now. She is east of me and I
hope the weather keeps moving eastward for those in Florida that need
it.

I just need it to dry out for about 4 days so I can mow my yard. I
mowed last Saturday and it now looks like I haven't mowed in a month.

So far luck is holding, no 90 foot pine trees down, just a lot of
limbs and outdoor furniture blown all over the neighborhood. We have
a flash flood warning on for the rest of the day and maybe into
tomorrow.

Praying for you that the fires burn themselves out and you are no
longer in danger.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old May 15th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:04:45 -0500, "Donna in NE La."
wrote:

Anna Belle, hope y'all are safe from the fires. We lived there, I think it
was in "98, and it was sure scary. They never got real close to us but we
could smell the smoke all the time. Stay safe!!

Yep, 98. We were here then also. Been in Fl. for 30 years. We were
in a difficult position, couldn't go north, south or west because of
the fires, and the ocean is east. Lots of smoke both times.
We are safe, and as of this morning the fires were 40% contained.
Caught one 31 yo man in the process of setting another fire, but they
are not sure he is the only one.

Amazing how much it helps to type this all out. Thanks for listening.
Anna Belle
Old May 15th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Kate, I'm hoping the rest of the storms pass you by and you can get some
good sleep again! Sounds like I'd better check with my friends in Slidell
and Bay St. Louis to find out if they're safe and dry. I saw some pictures
on the news this morning - looked more like Iowa than Mississippi I think! I
guess I never realized just how many tornado watches/warnings were issued
that far south.

--
Louise in Iowa
nielandl@ msn dot com

Old May 15th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Where's your go-to spot, Kate? When the tornado watch
turns into a warning we go to the downstairs bathroom under the stairs.
Last night we went to bed w/ watch #323. It was pouring rain
but the worst stuff moved east, quickly... to Kate's neighborhood.
The power didn't go out, this time, altho' when it does there's
always some handquilting to do. ;-)

Btw, for those who don't watch for tornados,
326 tornado watches- that's a national number. They don't all fall on
the same territory, just seems like it along the Gulf coast. g
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0326.html

This year has been a treacherous one for bad weather:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/stor...-tornado_N.htm
Most of us don't have storm cellars in the southern half of the U.S..

R/Sandy - waiting for the postman to bring me some magpie fabric...

On 5/15/08 10:16 AM, in article
, "Kate T."

Old May 15th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

We here in Bay Co, FL are under a tornado watch (as of now, until 4pm) even
as we speak ...

We've been REALLY lucky, though ... only had three hit here in the past 7
years ... even though two of those caused 3 deaths, I think overall,
considering how big they were, we were awfully lucky.

Since durn nigh our entire beach has been blocked off by those heinous
condos (over 500 condos in one building!!!), we don't get bothered by
hurricanes for the most part anymore. The condos do serve a purpose, it
seems.

(BTW, only 1% of the condos are occupied, so no one gets hurt when one of
those eyesores absorbs the damage!! But I'll bet their hurricane insurance
smarts!!)

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Old May 15th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

1%?? How can banks afford to finance them? I guess the bank only cares if
the developer doesn't pay. But that has happened a lot too.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old May 15th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

They CAN'T. But all those eyesores (and they ARE eyesores) were financed
years ago during the "condo boom." The condo boom only lasted about 2-3
years, but the ugly buildings seem to last forever.

Some have been condemned, some are probably tax breaks ... all I know is
that they're ugly, block the sunset, and block the beach view. Property
values around those things plummented farther than you can imagine.
Foreclosure sales are big here ... property that once went for $300K (on the
beach) is now somewhere around $130K. Pretty big drop.

I met a REALLY nice lady who had just moved in with her hubby into one of
those things (was supposed to be their "retirement investment") ... well, he
bought it sight unseen, for over $500K for the equivalent of a 2 bedroom
apartment. One of the perks was supposed to be a "complete city" within the
building (restaurants, grocery store, department store, etc -- HUGE!!) --
well, guess what? They've all closed because they weren't making any money
(only 5 residents out of 500 condos)!

She says it's really, really, really creepy being only one of 5 people in a
building that big (somewhere about 15 stories). No one's around within 3
floors of her. And did I mention that her hubby (since he's still working)
travels a lot? They can't even sell the condo now. No one's buying.

Most of those condos had an original selling price of $500K+ -- now you'll
see ads for the same condo at $150K. But still, no one's buying.

They'll probably end up being prime for squatters ...

Old May 16th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

I just don't understand the minds of the people that do things like that!!
I'm glad that they are getting them contained, though. We moved to Louisiana
4 1/2 years ago but we lived in Deltona for almost 17 years before that. It
is so scary when you don't have anywhere to go to get out of the way of the
fires. Take care!!

--
Donna in NE La

Old May 16th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

Strange, before we moved to Palm Bay we lived in DeBary. Moved here
in 94, before we lived in DeBary, it was Lake Mary, and before that
Cocoa.

The fires are 70% contained this morning. Fire departments here from
all over the place.

Lots of damage, but no lives lost.

Hard to understand someone who would take everything people have
worked for all their lives.
Anna Belle

Old May 17th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Small world, huh? We moved to Deltona from Pensacola in '87. My DH worked
for Siemens (previously Stromberg Carlson). Got laid off in '03 after 35
years--so to NE Louisiana we came. We'll be here for 2 1/2 more years and
then we will move back to Florida--Pensacola instead of Deltona, though.

I sure hope they catch the nut jobs that are doing this!!

--
Donna in NE La.

OT Weather Cats Quilting 10 February 8th 07 12:01 AM
OT-- weather maryd Quilting 12 March 30th 05 03:46 PM
Weather....OT [email protected] Yarn 1 September 5th 04 09:57 PM