Virtues of hand sewing?

Old May 3rd 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default Virtues of hand sewing?

This is good to read Phyllis. I have in my relatively near future -
Quilted Diamonds. I plan to do those by hand (as most people seem to
like that way of doing them). It will be a new experience for me so I
hope I find it as satisfying in many ways as you, and others, do.

I am so beginning to agree with your last sentence g
..
In message ,
Phyllis Nilsson writes
My sewng machine is in the basement, my husband is not. Best reason I can
think of for hand-sewing, but the accuracy is another; I just am not as
accurate with a machine as I am with my hands. Of course, no pins to bend,
needles to break, and no back ache are great. I can sit where I please, put
it down and do a crossword puzzle and pick it right back up again. Could
never do quarter square triangles accurately until I did it by hand.
Hand-sewing is very freeing.

Not a whole lot in life worth hurrying over. As you get older it comes to
us what is truly important in life . . . and hurryin' ain't one of 'em!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 3rd 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
news
My sewng machine is in the basement, my husband is not. Best reason I can
think of for hand-sewing,

I know some people who would give this as a reason for machine sewing. *big
grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old May 3rd 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

My sewng machine is in the basement, my husband is not. *Best reason I can
think of for hand-sewing,

I know some people who would give this as a reason for machine sewing. *big
grin*

Kathy, that's the same reaction I got when I read that. If hubbie
isn't in the basement - ?

Musicmaker
Old May 5th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

Although it probably sounds sappy, we like each other. I work on quilts, he
works on latch hook, and we both are watching (well, he listens more than
watches) television. Not a lot of conversation (he has had a trache for 18
years and doesn't talk a lot because he won't use a cap), but, after 23
years of marriage, there is that companionable silence that is comfortable.
But, I don't mind being sappy.

Old May 5th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

I have to confess I like being in the same room as my DH, too. 22 years, and
he's still my best friend. I even have a "visitor's" chair set up in my
sewing room for him. But if he plops down in it, he usually gets put to
work. He knows how to cut, how to sew, and how to iron, so unless he's
brought the laptop in to surf on, he gets fabric put in his hands. *big
grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old May 5th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

I practically can't get any *real* sewing (I CAN do handwork,though) done
with hubby in the room ... he's too distracting!! We'll get into a
conversation and 15 minutes later I'll find that all of my 1/4" seams have
mysteriously gained an inch!!

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Hand sewing Bonnie NJ Quilting 6 January 11th 07 06:54 PM
Help w/hand sewing needles rusty Quilting 5 December 6th 05 06:02 AM
Sigh! The virtues of Mary Tudor Jeanine3 Needlework 2 June 13th 05 10:58 PM
French Hand Sewing Lonnie Foley Needlework 2 February 1st 05 03:42 PM
Hand stitching with sewing awl Michael Horowitz Sewing 4 October 29th 03 12:43 AM