diamond in a rectangle

Old May 4th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default diamond in a rectangle

Hi, I would like to make some elongated blocks that are essentially
diamonds (not square but long) inside a rectangle. Can someone please
point me to a fairly simple construction method? My first instinct is
to cut a rectangle of the center fabric and then fiddle around until I
see how big to make little rectangles to stitch on and flip back. Or
to cut a long diamond (not sure how, but I think maybe I can figure it
out) and stitch the corners on. Ooooooh, all those bias edges scare
me. So I'm open to any and all suggestions including URL's of good
sites with good instructions.

Thanks,
Sunny
Old May 4th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Draw it and paper piece it, Sunny. Any shape will come out just fine
with this method. You could do it on a fabric foundation, too - no
removing. Wish I was there to show you!
Draw it anyway, to get the sizes (so you can do it without a foundation
if you want to) - don't forget the seam allowances.
..
In message
,
Sunny writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 4th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Dang, Patti, I wish you were here to show me too! I will give it a
shot here. I think I have something to trace and I'm going to give it
a shot. Paper piecing is a method I would never have thought of.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Sunny
Old May 4th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

It'll work like a dream, Sunny. You'll be making them all over the
place it will be so easy!! Have fun.
..
In message
,
Sunny writes

Old May 4th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Get out paper, pencil, straight edge, and scissors! Draw it on the
paper at the exact finished size you want. Cut the pieces. Now you
have your template, with the outside edges being the actual sewing
lines. You can now proceed with paper piecing. Or, lay those
templates on another sheet of paper, add 1/4" all around, cut those
new slightly-larger pieces, and you have your templates with the seam
allowance added.
Old May 4th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Paper piece it. G Draw your diamond in a rectangle, add seam allowance
around it. I usually make oversize "templates" (with about 3/8" seam
allowance instead of quarter inch) to cut my fabric pieces roughly to
shape. Saves fabric and is easy to line up the angles, and I can cut my
outside triangles with straight grain around the outside of the block.
(I actually cut rectangles and cut them in half. Be sure to cut some
right side up and the other half right side down to get the mirror image
triangles you need. G)
By using a paper foundation, the bias edges are a bit more stable and
you get accurate blocks. (I am working on a quilt using this type of
block right now....G Thought about cutting and piecing but decided
that PFP would be better in the long run, lots less problems. G)

If you do decide to just cut and piece, a couple of suggestions.
1. Starch is your friend for all those bias edges. Heavy starch to help
stabilize the edges. Before you cut.
2. Cut your triangles a bit large. That way you can trim to size and
have them all perfect. G (even if you have to resew some of them a
couple of times and so on. VBG)

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old May 4th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Sunny wrote:
Hi, I would like to make some elongated blocks that are essentially
diamonds (not square but long) inside a rectangle. Can someone please
point me to a fairly simple construction method? My first instinct is
to cut a rectangle of the center fabric and then fiddle around until I
see how big to make little rectangles to stitch on and flip back. Or
to cut a long diamond (not sure how, but I think maybe I can figure it
out) and stitch the corners on. Ooooooh, all those bias edges scare
me. So I'm open to any and all suggestions including URL's of good
sites with good instructions.

I believe the unit you want is one found in Storm at Sea.

http://bunchofbloomers.com/quilt_stormatsea.shtml
http://www.blockcentral.com/stormatsea.shtml

Do you see the way there's a diamond inside a rectangle that's combined
with squares in squares? I believe that's what you want. I asked a
similar question a long while ago, and the answer disappointed me. You
have to paper piece or use templates. There's no easier way. I'd been
hoping for some nifty trick, some special ruler, that would have me
churning them out.

Here are web pages that might help:

http://www.frommarti.com/storm.html
http://www.quilttemplates.com/templa...iteblocks.html
http://www.kiwiquilts.co.nz/shop/Pat...rm+at+Sea.html
http://www.frommarti.com/setr.html

--Lia

Old May 5th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Let me know how big you need it all to be, and I can create it in EQ, PDF
the templates and post'em (or send'em to you)!
I do that ALL the time -- less strain on the brain for me!!

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Old May 5th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Many thanks to everybody. Lia, thank you for the links. I printed off
a zillion copies of Storm at Sea diamonds (they're perfect) and I'm on
my way. I really never thought about paper piecing. It makes the
sewing really easy. I will definitely try drafting my own in the
future.

Sunny

Making a square top into a rectangle Debra Quilting 4 February 11th 07 05:36 AM
HRT's (half rectangle triangles) help please Anne in CA Quilting 24 January 27th 06 02:31 AM
Where to buy a rectangle or round loom (not on internet) LP Yarn 4 March 4th 05 05:02 PM
diamond beads Kevin General Crafting 1 November 24th 04 01:24 AM
half rectangle triangles Joe and Maria Quilting 13 January 11th 04 11:28 PM