Automatic needle threader

Old November 19th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Automatic needle threader

On 11/19/08 6:11 AM, in article ,
"lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:34:12 -0800 (PST),

opined:

Okay, framing isn't something I know much about, but wish I did. What
does the point gun do for you?

Louisa

It's a stapler; you put it flat on the backing in the frame and it
will shoot glazier points (usually diamond shaped) into the frame,
thus holding your work and the backing secure in the frame.

When I do framing at home I use other methods, but if you have a point
gun, the job is much easier, I figured I would never use it enough to
justify buying it or giving it house room.

Amen to the last part. I found out how to use one - would take one if given
to me - wouldn't buy it.

Old November 19th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 7:38*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/19/08 6:11 AM, in article ,

"lucretia borgia" wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:34:12 -0800 (PST),
opined:

Okay, framing isn't something I know much about, but wish I did. What
does the point gun do for you?

Louisa

It's a stapler; you put it flat on the backing in the frame and it
will shoot glazier points (usually diamond shaped) into the frame,
thus holding your work and the backing secure in the frame.

When I do framing at home I use other methods, but if you have a point
gun, the job is much easier, I figured I would never use it enough to
justify buying it or giving it house room.

Amen to the last part. I found out how to use one - would take one if given
to me - wouldn't buy it.

I've always just used the little brad nails. How do the two differ?
I'm sorry if I'm simply asking you to repeat yourself, but I really
would like to know more about framing so that I can do it better
myself.

Louisa
Old November 19th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 7:11*am, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:34:12 -0800 (PST),
opined:

Okay, framing isn't something I know much about, but wish I did. What
does the point gun do for you?

Louisa

It's a stapler; you put it flat on the backing in the frame and it
will shoot glazier points (usually diamond shaped) into the frame,
thus holding your work and the backing secure in the frame.

When I do framing at home I use other methods, but if you have a point
gun, the job is much easier, I figured I would never use it enough to
justify buying it or giving it house room.

What other methods do you like to use, Sheena?

Louisa
Old November 20th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

I have a lot of pre-made open backed frames (discontinued X-Appeals, Poppy
Kreations, Hog River, etc.). The point gun is good for fixing mounted
needlework into these frames (once you are comfortable mounting your
needlework, particularly the puffed pieces), particularly without glass (a
whole different area of framing).

If you have a series of needlework (monthly, seasonal, etc.) you'd like to
move in and out of clocks, corkboards, or other framing -- the 00F11.50
Photo Frame Turns are nifty.

wrote in message
On Nov 18, 7:25 pm, "Debbie Rice" wrote:
I also really like the picture hook springs so your framed pieces never
shift, item 50K14.01.

And for putting puffed pieces into pre-made frames like Poppy Kreations
and
Waxing Moon Designs -- check out the point gun item 86K87.05. A really
decent price; ebay has some ridiculous auctions for the point guns.

wrote in message

I just received my Lee Valley Tools Christmas catalogue, and there's a
neat little gadget for threading your needle automatically. You can
see it on their website,www.leevalley.com, item # 45K27.05 . The
picture is actually large enough to see the item clearly!

Louisa

Old November 21st 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 5:12*pm, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:33:44 -0800 (PST),
opined:

I've always just used the little brad nails. How do the two differ?
I'm sorry if I'm simply asking you to repeat yourself, but I *really
would like to know more about framing so that I can do it better
myself.

Louisa

It's merely a stapler that you can press against the frame and it
shoots the glazier point out horizontally (whereas a paper stapler
would shoot it downwards) Once done, that point is in securely, you'll
need pliers to take them out. *They are far more secure than brads and
other methods.

That said, I don't have one of those staplers and have managed, it
just takes longer, sore fingers, punctured fingers etc. but it gets
done lol * *Perhaps I would liken it to roofing with an air driven
nailer as opposed to hammering in each nail.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Louisa
Old November 21st 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 5:14*pm, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:34:09 -0800 (PST),
opined:

wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:34:12 -0800 (PST),
opined:

Okay, framing isn't something I know much about, but wish I did. What
does the point gun do for you?

Louisa

It's a stapler; you put it flat on the backing in the frame and it
will shoot glazier points (usually diamond shaped) into the frame,
thus holding your work and the backing secure in the frame.

When I do framing at home I use other methods, but if you have a point
gun, the job is much easier, I figured I would never use it enough to
justify buying it or giving it house room.

What other methods do you like to use, Sheena?

Louisa

If there is enough frame left to work with, I will use a regular
stapler then tap them a bit further in. * I have used panel pins
(that's not what they are called here but they are the tiny, rather
weak nails that hardly have a head).

Desk stapler, or staple gun? I know we have a staple gun down in the
workshop.

Louisa

Old November 21st 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

wrote in message

I just received my Lee Valley Tools Christmas catalogue, and there's a
neat little gadget for threading your needle automatically. You can
see it on their website,www.leevalley.com, item # 45K27.05 . The
picture is actually large enough to see the item clearly!

Louisa

Okay, framing isn't something I know much about, but wish I did. What
does the point gun do for you?

Louisa

Thanks! I always like to pick up new bits of information.

Louisa

Old November 23rd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

I've been able to pick up this kind of threader at JoAnn's and other
crafty sorts of places for $1 or less. That variety only has one
space for a needle and only does thread for hand-sewing, but they
generally work well, and are so cheap that when they go kablooey it's
not much of a loss. I picked up a dozen for the quilt ladies at the
church, and you would have thought I handed them a sack of gold.
Old December 1st 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 11/19/08 4:29 PM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 11/19/08 3:33 PM, in article
,

"lucretia borgia" wrote:
[...]

Think of it as a stapler that shoots little flat pieces of metal into the
frame parallel to the picture.

Actually there's a tool for doing the same with little brads, instead of
points. I personally like the brads better, as it's easier to pull them if
you need to remove the piece. Called a frame fitting tool. Worthy if you
do a lot of framing. This is from the online catalog for Yarn Tree (who
used to sell only wholesale, but I guess now is selling directly).

http://tinyurl.com/5ozg8x

ellice

OT - automatic email reply Johanna Gibson Quilting 6 August 2nd 07 10:33 PM
Bernina threader bdiane Quilting 3 April 20th 05 12:44 AM
Automatic window candles Felice Friese Needlework 1 November 6th 04 12:30 AM
needle threader BDS2pds Needlework 3 July 1st 04 05:04 PM
singer automatic zigzagger attachment Sharon Berman Sewing 2 November 27th 03 12:18 PM