quiltsmart lone star

Old August 24th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default quiltsmart lone star

Hello everyone.

Things have been HECTIC around here lately! I am working too many
hours. Will be on call for the next 65 hours (yes I know, it's
ridiculous!), locked up here in the health care center. Thankfully, it
is currently raining, so that will hopefully mean few people.
What with work and caring for DH, helping him recover from his
cervical surgery last month, I have barely had any time to breathe,
never mind doing anything involving a needle (other than suturing, but
that does NOT count!). DH was not allowed to drive for a month so that
involved a lot of extra driving. Yesterday he finally drove and things
went really well.

But, if nothing else the many miles through the Spanish countryside do
provide for creative thinking. Inspiration comes easily to me
(sometimes!) while I going from rural area to even more rural area.

So, the latest peak of cerebral activity (they are few and far
between) is a lone star quilt. I bought a 4-color quiltsmart kit
(waiting for the mail to bring it to me) and I'm toying with either
shades of pink, shades of yellow/orange or shades of beige/brown.

Does anyone have experience with the quiltsmart method? Does it work?
Is it really as easy as they make it out to be? Any particular
pitfalls I should be aware of? Any other tips/hints or comments?

I'd love to hear.

And, if andwhen I ever get anything done, I promise to post pics!

Claudia

Old August 24th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

I did a small quiltsmart lone star. You can see it in my webshots folder
under Kathy's Quilts. I thought it went pretty easy. I wish I had put the
one ring of red in such a way that it was a "ring" -- but other than
that.... was a fun and relatively "easy" project!

Have fun with it!!!

--
Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old August 24th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA

Claudia,
I made one (well the top anyway, haven't quilted it yet) It went
together really easily in spite of the fact that I wanted to use more
fabrics than recommended to make it scrappier looking. My only warning
is to plan your colors very carefully.

Mine is he
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...ome-and-garden

if you want to take a peek.

Have fun with it:-)

Rose in CA @}---------
Rosanne DOT Morgan AT sbcglobal DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission
errors. No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

Old August 25th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

claudia wrote:
[...]

Piggybacking here. I'm getting thoroughly disgusted with earthlink's
failure to provide me with what I'm paying for. Okay -- end of
mini-rant.

Claudia, I've never done the quiltsmart method and don't even know what
it is! g But I have done two lone star quilt variations (shown he
http://www.sandymike.net/lonestarquilts.html) and really enjoyed both
of them. Best of luck with yours! We're counting on those pics!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 25th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

claudia wrote:
[...]

Don't plan to hand quilt it.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 25th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

The Lone Star I grew up with was nearly a study in warm colored
prints. From deep blood red to orange to pale yellow. The cooler
colors were burgundy and dark violet, and the little bits of cool
colors in the various prints.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 25th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

looks like quite a good method, if you like that kind of thing, I'm very
happy with foundation piecing, so it's definitely tempting to do it that
way when I come to do a lone star, I don't think I'd buy this particular
tool, partly because it's only one size and only 4 diamonds - I think I
want to do 6 or 7, but also because I'd be a bit paranoid about pressing
and it sticking, I mean most of the time I press ok, but on the odd
occasion it doesn't go well, I want to flip it back, reset the seam and
go again, you can't do that with fusible interfacing.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 25th 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Gosh, Sandy, I don't think I've ever seen a Lone Star with 16 points
before. It looks very complicated. It's also very pretty!
..
In message , Sandy
writes
Piggybacking here. I'm getting thoroughly disgusted with earthlink's
failure to provide me with what I'm paying for. Okay -- end of
mini-rant.

Claudia, I've never done the quiltsmart method and don't even know what
it is! g But I have done two lone star quilt variations (shown he
http://www.sandymike.net/lonestarquilts.html) and really enjoyed both
of them. Best of luck with yours! We're counting on those pics!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 25th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Gosh, Sandy, I don't think I've ever seen a Lone Star with 16 points
before. It looks very complicated. It's also very pretty!
.
In message , Sandy
writes
Piggybacking here. I'm getting thoroughly disgusted with earthlink's
failure to provide me with what I'm paying for. Okay -- end of
mini-rant.

Claudia, I've never done the quiltsmart method and don't even know what
it is! g But I have done two lone star quilt variations (shown he
http://www.sandymike.net/lonestarquilts.html) and really enjoyed both
of them. Best of luck with yours! We're counting on those pics!

Thanks, Pat! It was all strip-pieced and not nearly as difficult as you
might think. G What was complicated was the quilting, since "someone"
seemed to want me not to be able to do it. G A herniated disk in my
back and a broken tailbone were both conspiring against me. LOL!

Old August 25th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA

Anne,
Mine is eight diamonds and the larger size. If your LQS doesn't carry
it you can get the quiltsmart on line. The have a mariners compass that
I haven't tried but might -- also a dahlia and I think a tumbling block.
It really takes the tedious part out of these harder quilts and lets you
concentrate on color and fabric and such. NAYY

Lone Star is DONE!!!! JPgirl Quilting 35 September 29th 06 10:12 PM
Lone Star.... Kellie J. Berger Quilting 11 August 31st 04 02:34 PM
Lone Star question aluap Quilting 19 October 4th 03 11:24 PM
The Lone Star TOP is done! MerryStahel Quilting 3 September 12th 03 05:49 PM
RE; Lone Star using HST CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 0 July 24th 03 12:50 PM