Putting the boot in! And a thread question

Old October 15th 05, 05:29 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Default Julia and Kate

Julia,
Have you tried the 50 wt? I have several spools of it and am
wondering if I'd like the 100 wt better.
And, by the way, Kate, I can not see any reason why either
one could not be used in your sewing machine since one site
that I saw not too long ago recommended that either wt be used
with a 75/11 embroidery machine needle. I don't think I'd use the
100 wt for embroidery though but for regular sewing of fine
garments, as you make, I sure would.
JMVHO
Marlys in Indiana

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
I have been using the YLI 100 weight for hand applique. It has worked
very well for that. I've never tried it in the machine.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 15th 05, 05:43 PM
Julia in MN

Default Silk thread ( Julia and Kate)

Marlys in Indiana wrote:
Have you tried the 50 wt? I have several spools of it and am
wondering if I'd like the 100 wt better.

I have only used the YLI 100 weight for hand applique; I have not used
the 50 wt. I really like the 100 wt. It seems to just melt into the
fabric. I have only used one color - tan - and it seems to work for just
about any color of fabric. The only problem I have had is with the
thread slipping out of the needle. That problem was easily solved by
making a loop with the first few inches of thread, threading the loop
through the needle, and then putting the needle through the loop and
pulling it tight to make a tiny slip not at the end of the needle.
Because the thread is so fine, the knot is small and doesn't interfere
with getting the threaded needle through the fabric. I was a bit
concerned about the thread fraying and breaking at the eye of the
needle, but I haven't had any problem with that at all.

Old October 15th 05, 07:28 PM
Kate Dicey

Marlys in Indiana wrote:

Julia,
Have you tried the 50 wt? I have several spools of it and am
wondering if I'd like the 100 wt better.
And, by the way, Kate, I can not see any reason why either
one could not be used in your sewing machine since one site
that I saw not too long ago recommended that either wt be used
with a 75/11 embroidery machine needle. I don't think I'd use the
100 wt for embroidery though but for regular sewing of fine
garments, as you make, I sure would.
JMVHO
Marlys in Indiana

I think the stuff I have is 50 weight... There's a 50 on the reel just
above where it says 100m. It's about as fine as Mettler machine
embroidery thread, smoother, and at least as strong as Gutterman - as
far as I can judge by the amount of 'tug' needed to break it! So far it
has made perfect seams.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 15th 05, 10:54 PM
Cheryl

Julia
When I hand sew I use Thread Heaven conditioner so I haven't had this
problem with the thread slipping out of the needle. Have you tried it?
Cheryl

Old October 15th 05, 11:00 PM
Julia in MN

Cheryl wrote:
Julia
When I hand sew I use Thread Heaven conditioner so I haven't had this
problem with the thread slipping out of the needle. Have you tried it?

I've used it for quilting but not for applique. Might have to give it a try.

Old October 16th 05, 03:04 AM
KJ

The 100 weight silk thread does beautiful, fine machine quilting. Diane
Gaudynski uses it and has her name associated with the YLI (I believe)
brand. Use a 60 or 65 size needle in the sewing machine.

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old October 16th 05, 12:07 PM
MB

Julia...where did you find the YLI 100 ?...It sounds like it would be great
to applique without buying dozens of new thread.
I've never seen it offered before . tia...Mary

Old October 16th 05, 01:51 PM
Julia in MN

I wanted silk thread for applique, so I went to my sewing machine dealer
because they carry lots of thread. I found the YLI and bought the color
I wanted without paying attention to the weight. I never checked the
weight until this discussion started; I was just looking for silk thread

Old October 16th 05, 06:04 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Mary
I just ordered a tube with 5 different colors of the 100 wt YLI from a
place called Quilt Stars. http://www.quiltstar.com/ Costs $15 and $5
shipping. They claim that the tube of colors should cover all colors
for applique. They are all neutral colors. Also Redrock Threads sells
the individual spools of the 100wt YLI for $4.75/spool.
(NAYY to either one, just Googled for silk thread.)
Can't wait to get mine to use it. I'm using the 50 wt to hand stitch
bindings on quilted items and love working with the silk thread. If the
100wt sinks into the thread as most people say, I should be floating
above the clouds stitching up a storm. VBG
Marlys in Indiana

Old October 17th 05, 03:42 AM
MB

Thanks, Marlys !!.....I happened to be at a site about an hour ago looking
for indigo fabric and came across
the YLI 100....and saw that it was silk !...I did see Diane Gaudinski on
Simply Quilts and
do remember that she mentioned she quilted with it and her work was lovely .
Actually I just
remembered that I have some silk thread but
have never used it...guess it is about time !!! I'd forgotten all about it
until this thread on thread!!!
I remember paying just under $5 a spool too.
Thanks again.....Mary

"MB" wrote in message
Julia...where did you find the YLI 100 ?...It sounds like it would be

great
to applique without buying dozens of new thread.
I've never seen it offered before . tia...Mary

I have only used the YLI 100 weight for hand applique; I have not

used
the 50 wt. I really like the 100 wt. It seems to just melt into the
fabric. I have only used one color - tan - and it seems to work for

just
about any color of fabric.

Hand Quilting Thread Question Jalynne Quilting 19 December 12th 04 03:31 AM
thread question Laurie G. Quilting 11 November 25th 03 01:26 AM
Question about Beading Thread Tracey Beads 6 July 16th 03 07:52 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM