Putting the boot in! And a thread question

Old October 14th 05, 04:56 PM
Kate Dicey

Default Putting the boot in! And a thread question

I've been playing! Specifically with Christmas stockings. I've made
three today. They are quite plain as they have very rich fabrics.

One is a black jacquard polycotton curtain fabric. I gave it a curly,
pointy toe with a gold bell on, and some rich gold and black braid round
the top. I think it's a Christmas Stocking for a pirate captain!

Another is a sort of khaki, greenish swamp colour... This is a poly
jacquard with tulip-like things woven into it. Auntie Mo Next Door
didn't think it looked Christmassy at all, but I gave it a band of deep
red velvet ribbon and some gold piping and a gold bell. Now it's
suitably Christmassy!

The last one is a gold 100% silk curtain fabric, with a silver leafy
abstract sparse print on it... I gave it a silver and black braid band,
a silver tassel, and a silver bell.

Now, as this gold fabric was all silk, and originally VERY expensive, I
thought I'd do the decent thing and dig out some silk thread to sew it
with... What I found in the thread stash was a pale gold silk thread,
made in Japan. The brand is 'KINKAME'. This is the nicest thread I
have ever put through any machine - bar none! The reel is black plastic
and has 100m on it. I have googled for them, and the company does still
exist, but the site was all in Japanese characters! I'm looking for a
UK postal or world wide on-line supplier, so if you know who carries
this thread, please tell me! I have emailed Kinkame and asked them who
sells their thread outside Japan, but I have high hopes you lot will get
back to me more quickly!

I'm posting this message in several groups and forums in the hope that
the wider audience will benefit us all!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 14th 05, 06:16 PM
Polly Esther

I order my Kinkamee from Hancocks online. They *almost* got my order right.
Ordering from them is trying to a body's patience but we do what we've go to
do. And yes, Kate, there's just nothing like it. I especially love it for
hand applique. Polly

Old October 14th 05, 06:45 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

I order my Kinkamee from Hancocks online. They *almost* got my order right.
Ordering from them is trying to a body's patience but we do what we've go to
do. And yes, Kate, there's just nothing like it. I especially love it for
hand applique. Polly

I've never had an answer out of them when I've tried. They don't seem
to want to answer international emails, never mind international orders!

If they sent you the thread, treat it well!

Old October 14th 05, 07:57 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Kate,
I found just two places on this side of the pond, though.
http://www.shopvintageandvogue.com/c...ywords=kinkame
http://www.materialgirlquiltsonline....ywords=kinkame
Don't know if they ship international or not. As much as I like the
silk thread too, I'm considering trying some from YLI. Don't know if
they compare to Kinkame or not. Anyone else know???
Marlys in Indiana

Old October 14th 05, 11:01 PM
Cheryl

I usually buy from equilter and their service to Oz is good. I just never
tried to go anywhere else so I have no idea how their prices compare.
http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...49105622566.af
Cheryl

Old October 15th 05, 01:30 AM
Marlys in Indiana

Cheryl,
Have you ever used the YLI 100wt? or just the Kinkame which is 50wt?
I'm so curious about the 100Wt.
Marlys in Indiana

Old October 15th 05, 03:33 AM
Cheryl

The 100 is wonderful for very fine hand applique but I haven't used it for
anything else. I don't know how it would be for machine embroidery or
quilting - so I can't help you. Sorry.

I will keep watching to see what everyone esle says about it.

Cheryl

Old October 15th 05, 09:42 AM
Kate Dicey

Marlys in Indiana wrote:

Kate,
I found just two places on this side of the pond, though.
http://www.shopvintageandvogue.com/c...ywords=kinkame
http://www.materialgirlquiltsonline....ywords=kinkame
Don't know if they ship international or not. As much as I like the
silk thread too, I'm considering trying some from YLI. Don't know if
they compare to Kinkame or not. Anyone else know???
Marlys in Indiana

Thanks! I have a UK lead, but alternatives are always welcome!

Old October 15th 05, 09:44 AM
Kate Dicey

Cheryl wrote:

The 100 is wonderful for very fine hand applique but I haven't used it for
anything else. I don't know how it would be for machine embroidery or
quilting - so I can't help you. Sorry.

I will keep watching to see what everyone esle says about it.

So will I! I need it for machine seams, and the stuff I have is
perfect (but the wrong colour for any of the bridal stuff I'm about to
do!), and the equilter stuff is sold for hand quilting... Hm...

Old October 15th 05, 04:20 PM
Julia in MN

I have been using the YLI 100 weight for hand applique. It has worked
very well for that. I've never tried it in the machine.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Hand Quilting Thread Question Jalynne Quilting 19 December 12th 04 03:31 AM
thread question Laurie G. Quilting 11 November 25th 03 01:26 AM
Question about Beading Thread Tracey Beads 6 July 16th 03 07:52 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM