I wonder?

Old October 10th 11, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Default I wonder?

I have never before questioned those respected quilters who say that
they always do a double fold binding, because the edge always gets more
wear.
Well, I am giving a workshop next Saturday, on Borders and Bindings, and
I was just typing out my notes for it. I was giving detailed
instructions for one single-fold and one double fold binding. I never
do double fold bindings.
I was typing 'double-fold bindings are often used because the edge
receives most wear, but there are two layers' when I thought: if a
double-fold binding receives wear for the second layer to become
necessary, then it will definitely look scruffy and worn. In which case
I would want to take off the binding and replace it - as one would do
with a single-fold binding.
So, what is the point (for me, as I find them bulky and awkward) in
using double fold?

Discuss gg I would seriously like to hear views on this.
--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old October 10th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

On 10/10/2011 7:03 AM, Pat S wrote:
[...]

Well, I don't do a double fold binding, either. Never have and
likely never will for the very reason you mention above. Add to that
the fact that I do my binding in one pass, on the machine, stitched with
decorative thread and stitches and I am totally going against the
grain!!! The ladies in my quilt group asked my why I did it that way
and my response to them was why do they do it the other way? Just
because something has been done in a particular way doesn't mean you
can't change it to do it differently. My way is quicker, easier and
uses less fabric so why not :-))))). I'd say GO FOR IT and give your
students the option of doing a more traditional double fold binding or a
more contemporary single fold binding. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old October 10th 11, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 10/10/2011 15:03, Pat S wrote:
[...]

Not just on quilts, but also on things like stays and corsets I do a
double fold edge because it makes it firmer and neater. Wear isn't part
of the equation. For example, right now the sewing partner Su and I are
finishing off a silk organza shrug for a customer. The edge is bound in
bias cut double folded silk habotai. We are double folding that to give
it some stability as the organza is cobweb fine and the habotai very
light weight. Two layers of bias habotai give a nice light but form
edge with a VERY neat finish, and the 'pokeys' from the silk organza
edges don't escape and stab and irritate the customer.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 10th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

I have always used double-fold bindings simply because that was what I
was taught! I do feel as though they give added stability to the edge of
the quilt and kind of "keep it in line." What I don't like about them is
mitering the corners - it's an awful lot of fabric in a small space. I
keep my bindings fairly narrow, though (cut 2" wide or less), so that
probably contributes to that bulky feeling.

I also like double-fold bindings on children's quilts - particularly
those they are going to drag around. You're right when you say that if
the binding receives enough wear for the second layer to become
necessary, but once I give the quilt away to a little one, I may not
have the option to repair it when the first layer frays, so that second
layer may be the only thing that keeps the edge of the quilt and the
batting from sneaking out!

Like Sandy, I'd like more info on how you do your single-fold bindings.
I think they'd be great for either the quilts I will keep for us or for
smaller projects.

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

On 10/10/2011 9:44 AM, Sandy wrote:
In ,
Pat wrote:

[...]

You make a very good point, Pat! I do double-fold bindings, but I
think it's because they're so easy to do, with no raw edges to fiddle
with as I'm doing the handwork portion -- and I do enjoy the handwork
portion. I sort of get "reacquainted" with the quilt as I put those
finishing touches on it.

But how do you do your single-fold bindings?

Old October 10th 11, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

On large bed quilts I do a double fold binding because it is less
fussing to press the length in half, match the raw edges while machine
stitching and hand stitch the crease in place. On my miniatures I do a
single fold binding because it is less bulky and more in proportion
with the size of the quilt. The width of the binding varies with the
size of the quilt. For bed size quilts I cut the bindings at 2 1/2"
and stitch at a fat quarter inch because that is an easy measurement
to hold on my machine. On the miniatures the stitch width can be as
little as 1/8" and the cut width is in proportion with the stitch
width.

I am in the process of replacing the backing on a quilt made in the
1980's at the owner's request. The backing is taken to the front
rather than a separate binding being used. The fabric along the edges
around the quilt has deteriorated as well as a few places on the back.
The owner wants to continue to use the quilt. It is a very scrappy
quilt made from a combination of cotton and polyester fabrics typical
of the 1980's and tied rather than quilted. The owner said his
great-grandmother made one for each of her 11 great-grandchildren. He
used it all through college. Now his son has discovered its cuddly
qualities and he wants his son to enjoy it. He does plan to teach his
son to take better care of it than he did as a college student.

Susan

Old October 10th 11, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Just random thoughts, Pat. I can't imagine a time when someone would gently
and lovingly replace a quilt binding because it had become scruffy-looking.
I'm not saying it can't happen - just most unlikely in my own rather rough
and tumble world.
But - trying to think with you - would it be a good idea? You know what
the Bible and Dolly Parton say about putting new patches on old garments.
Polly

Old October 10th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I do the double bias binding.

Double because it's easier and gives a firm edge; bias because it
snugs up and seems to keep everything straight and even, and hangs
well.

But on my wholecloth quilts I stitch (by hand) half an inch from the
edge and then turn in the edge and stitch again on the fold. I like
this because the quilts are truly double sided. And if I have used
two colours there is no 'wrong-coloured' edge on one side.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old October 10th 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

One of the guild gals passed away 10 or so years ago and the stack of her
unfinished tops became sort of a project for some of us to finish for her
family. I somehow got a finished quilt that had the edge caught up in the
wheel of the bed and sort of got chewed up. Someone found enough of
the same fabric in the stash and I took it apart and did the repair. I
guess
that is one time a binding might need redone. It made the quilt and me
happy.
I use a double fold binding mostly because it just seems easier and quicker
than a single one. That is excepting scallop type edges.
Taria

Old October 11th 11, 12:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

On 10/10/2011 21:25, Polly Esther wrote:
Just random thoughts, Pat. I can't imagine a time when someone would
gently and lovingly replace a quilt binding because it had become
scruffy-looking. I'm not saying it can't happen - just most unlikely in
my own rather rough and tumble world.
But - trying to think with you - would it be a good idea? You know what
the Bible and Dolly Parton say about putting new patches on old
garments. Polly

My mum made all of us scrap quilts from... .fake fur scraps! Mine is
the most colouful but also the smallest because I didn't have my own bed
at that point. It has been very well loved, and all the cats love it
too! But the binding is in a state. It was teh 70s. My mum used some
horrid doubleknit fabric for the binding and it's in shreds. The same
nylon, slippery stuff was used on the back so it shimmies off the bed
unless weighted down with a cat or two. I am going to replace the
backing and binding with something cotton. So you see, bindings do need
to be replaced now and then!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 11th 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Without reading the other replies, I like it because there's no
fiddling with a loose edge when it comes to sewing the 2nd bit down.
The binding remains perfectly even with both raw edges secured in the
1st seam. I also think the extra layer of fabric provides a smoother
finish, especially on quilts where there are lots of seams going all
the way out to the edge. I like to trim the backing/batting an extra
quarter inch beyond the edge of the top to make a nice plump bound
edge, and the double layer just makes it all smoother.
Roberta in D